7 month old lab walking up early. 3-4am..Advice needed

Discussion in 'Introductions & Saying Hello' started by Kim Masse, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Kim Masse

Kim Masse Registered Users

Hi,
    My name is Kim and I'm new to this forum.
    My husband and I own a 7 month old chocolate lab. We also have a 3 yr old black lab mix.
    We're having problems with the 7 month old not sleeping past 3-4 am. He sleeps in his crate downstairs. He goes to bed in his crate anywhere between 10-11pm and goes potty before bed.
    Like clockwork he's up barking in his crate at 4am everyday. It's not typically to goto bathroom, but sometimes.
    How can we correct this barking/waking
    So early in the a.m.? I figured by 7 months we'd be through this phase of puppyhood.
    We have never had this problem with past 2 labs. We're losing sleep and getting on each others nerves. Any suggestions to help resolve this problem us much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Kim

2. JohnA

JohnA Registered Users

Hi Kim, based on what I’ve experienced with my dog, I would first make sure he’s getting enough exercise. These guys need a ton of exercise. The next thing I would guess, could be a gastrointestinal issue. If everything seems ok, i would wait and see, 7 months is still young. It’s not always easy with these pups, but as long as he’s healthy, I think it’s a phase. Good Luck

3. J.D

J.D Registered Users

Hi Kim
    Make sure when you go to him your visit is as boring as possible.
    Say nothing. Take him straight outside and then straight back to bed. Don’t put any lights on or treat him for going to the toilet. He will soon get bored.
    As John says make sure he has had enough exercise and stimulation for his age during the day.
    He may be hungry?
    We get up at 6 during the week and Toby doesn’t recognise weekends so they start at 6 too. No alarm clock needed!