8 month old lab advice!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Mightynub, Apr 3, 2015.

1. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: 8 month old lab advice!

[quote author=Mightynub link=topic=10442.msg154209#msg154209 date=1428128880]
    And update with Loki!

He just had breakfast where I added warm water to his dry food and he loved it! Finally got a clean bowl and looked like he wanted more!! Can anyone else suggeste easy ways to spice up his dry food? Like what else could I add?

Also I have a kong treat ball and a kong classic but any treats I put in he gets out super easy? I've never tried freezing one because I have no idea what to put inside to freeze :/ suggestions on that would help to :)
    [/quote]

I soak kibble then stuff it in the Kongs, then freeze them. When I give them to the dogs I put a little smear of marmite on the end, which gets them started. They never get tired of them.

Food wise, if warm water is working I'd stick with it, no need to chop and change. :)

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Great to hear that the wet kibble was a hit :)

We seal up the small end of the Kong with butter, then add a handful of kibbke, then fill it with milk (or you could use water or stock) then stand it in a container and freeze it. Or we put cheese in it then zap it in the microwave for 20 seconds to melt it, and let it cool before giving to Obi.

You could put mince in and freeze it.... For a low cal option we use mashed sweet potato or or pumpkin.

3. Mightynub

Mightynub Registered Users

All sound like great ideas! I'll give them ago :)

What about some fresh meal ideas? I'd like to give him special meals as not to make his meal Times The same old same old :)
    But all I can think is chicken and rice or veg and beef (when the family has a Sunday roast)

4. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Mine are fed raw food at lunchtime - today was two large sardines each. Sometimes it's a chunk of chicken, rabbit, or scraps from the butcher. I always feed it frozen because it takes a little longer to eat (although Shadow did swallow one of the sardines whole out of sheer excitement earlier ::) ). Lunch is their favourite meal of the day!
    Also, twice a week, they get a raw egg in their breakfast kibble, shell and all. Some people put the whole egg, still in its shell, in the bowl but I worry they'll either choke on it or, less dramatically, take it elsewhere and get egg on something. So I crack it into the bowl and chuck the two half shells in.

I sometimes give them a raw carrot, which doesn't have much nutritional value for them, because they pass it too quickly to absorb properly (cue orange poo!) but they enjoy the crunch of. You can freeze them, too, to make them last longer. Willow used to shred them, covering the living room floor, then hoovered it up afterwards. Now I have two dogs, she's become a little more sensible and just eats it normally.

I like the idea of the cooled melted cheese. My two would love that - cheeeeeeeeese!!! Shame I don't have a microwave, but it made me think, I could make a quick cheese sauce and use that in the kongs. Brilliant :)

5. CDM

CDM Registered Users

Bella started leaving her dry kibble most meals so we have the same toppers morning and night too ( James Wellbeloved turkey and rice ) and that's a compromise as she'll then eat just dry biscuits at lunch :eek:

6. CDM

CDM Registered Users

[quote author=snowbunny link=topic=10442.msg154317#msg154317 date=1428156345]
    Mine are fed raw food at lunchtime - today was two large sardines each. Sometimes it's a chunk of chicken, rabbit, or scraps from the butcher. I always feed it frozen because it takes a little longer to eat (although Shadow did swallow one of the sardines whole out of sheer excitement earlier ::) ). Lunch is their favourite meal of the day!
    Also, twice a week, they get a raw egg in their breakfast kibble, shell and all. Some people put the whole egg, still in its shell, in the bowl but I worry they'll either choke on it or, less dramatically, take it elsewhere and get egg on something. So I crack it into the bowl and chuck the two half shells in.

I sometimes give them a raw carrot, which doesn't have much nutritional value for them, because they pass it too quickly to absorb properly (cue orange poo!) but they enjoy the crunch of. You can freeze them, too, to make them last longer. Willow used to shred them, covering the living room floor, then hoovered it up afterwards. Now I have two dogs, she's become a little more sensible and just eats it normally.

I like the idea of the cooled melted cheese. My two would love that - cheeeeeeeeese!!! Shame I don't have a microwave, but it made me think, I could make a quick cheese sauce and use that in the kongs. Brilliant :)
    [/quote]

Raw Eggs with shell?! Never heard of that!! :eek:

7. Bonnie

Bonnie Registered Users

[quote author=CDM link=topic=10442.msg154345#msg154345 date=1428162457]

[/quote]

Me neither but what a great idea!

8. Oberon

Obi always gets the shell too. He'll eat the shell if it's a chicken egg but not a duck egg (tougher shell).

Mightynub, try things like raw chicken legs, chicken carcasses or 'backs', or lamb ribs, or any part of a rabbit.

Tinned sardines will probably be appreciated too :)

9. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

[quote author=Bonnie link=topic=10442.msg154378#msg154378 date=1428173141]
    [quote author=CDM link=topic=10442.msg154345#msg154345 date=1428162457]

[/quote]

Me neither but what a great idea!
    [/quote]

As a game I pop a whole egg into a toilet roll, then hide them in the garden. I did these because Casper kept finding the eggs and stuffing them in his mouth before Benson managed to find his egg.... ;D

10. Oberon

Haha, what a good idea!

11. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Heehee - someone once said on the forum a Labrador should be able to retrieve a raw egg without breaking it, and I tried it with Charlie. He picked it up and carried it ok - to the path, where he whacked it with his paw and scoffed the lot. ;D ;D ;D

12. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Read this and decided to try an Easter egg hunt with Pops.. Hid a raw egg in the garden and sent her out to search for it. Eventually she found it and carefully brought it back to me.. So sweet! Then she carried it off into the garden, cracked it and ate it.. Happy little Easter dog! :)

13. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

When given an egg Juno dances round the kitchen with it in her mouth and showing any one who is around what she's got. She then takes it in to her bed and careful puts it down. She then picks it up, has another dance around the kitchen with it and goes back to her bed with it. All this time her tail is going ten to the dozen! She then gently rolls the egg off her bed on to the floor, the couple of inch drop helping to crack the egg which then picks up and holds between her paws and begins go nibble off bits of shell, spitting the bits of shell to one side in a very lady like manner and very delicately licks the egg out of the shell. After slowly demolishing the egg she crunches up the shell, leaving nothing to be cleaned up. She has such a happy look on her face afterwards its probably just a well we don't have chickens ;D

14. Naya

Naya Registered Users

A couple of times a week, Harley has a whole raw egg. She carries it so gently from the kitchen to the garden, runs around with it still in her mouth, puts it gently on the floor, dances around it, knocks it with her nose and paws, then eventually (after 5-10 mins) she pierces a tiny hole so she can lick the inside out, then eventually eats the egg

15. sussex

sussex Registered Users

i raw feed my lab using natures menue minces and add bones and offal very easy to use and i make up 3weeks at a time

16. leejane

leejane Mum to the Mooster

[quote author=MaccieD link=topic=10442.msg154494#msg154494 date=1428225939]
    When given an egg Juno dances round the kitchen with it in her mouth and showing any one who is around what she's got. She then takes it in to her bed and careful puts it down. She then picks it up, has another dance around the kitchen with it and goes back to her bed with it. All this time her tail is going ten to the dozen! She then gently rolls the egg off her bed on to the floor, the couple of inch drop helping to crack the egg which then picks up and holds between her paws and begins go nibble off bits of shell, spitting the bits of shell to one side in a very lady like manner and very delicately licks the egg out of the shell. After slowly demolishing the egg she crunches up the shell, leaving nothing to be cleaned up. She has such a happy look on her face afterwards its probably just a well we don't have chickens ;D
    [/quote]
    [quote author=Naya link=topic=10442.msg154498#msg154498 date=1428226272]
    A couple of times a week, Harley has a whole raw egg. She carries it so gently from the kitchen to the garden, runs around with it still in her mouth, puts it gently on the floor, dances around it, knocks it with her nose and paws, then eventually (after 5-10 mins) she pierces a tiny hole so she can lick the inside out, then eventually eats the egg
    [/quote]

;D ;D
    You've made me want to give Monty a whole egg now to see what he does with it... I have a feeling he won't be so delicate with it as your two are!!!

17. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

[quote author=leejane link=topic=10442.msg154506#msg154506 date=1428228532]
    [quote author=MaccieD link=topic=10442.msg154494#msg154494 date=1428225939]
    [/quote]
    [quote author=Naya link=topic=10442.msg154498#msg154498 date=1428226272]
    [/quote]

;D ;D
    You've made me want to give Monty a whole egg now to see what he does with it... I have a feeling he won't be so delicate with it as your two are!!!
    [/quote]

Ah, that's the difference between our gentile little girls and the big boisterous boys ;) ;D
    I think Monty has an egg on the menu for today :) , and Juno says to tell him it's more fun if you eat it slowly and make all that deliciousness last 8)

18. leejane

leejane Mum to the Mooster

Slowly, eat slowly?!!! that dog has never, ever, ever eaten anything slowly, even with the slow food bowl he races bits around the maze at full speed.

If I give him an egg I'll have to remove some kibble... 30g maybe? Oh dear I'm becoming obsessive.

No doubt my parents will sneak him roast lamb later on too...

19. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

[quote author=leejane link=topic=10442.msg154512#msg154512 date=1428229940]
    Slowly, eat slowly?!!! that dog has never, ever, ever eaten anything slowly, even with the slow food bowl he races bits around the maze at full speed.

If I give him an egg I'll have to remove some kibble... 30g maybe? Oh dear I'm becoming obsessive.

No doubt my parents will sneak him roast lamb later on too...
    [/quote]

A large egg is around 80 calories but I'm not sure how that equates to grams of kibble, although I've checked a 2oz egg (an average size egg) equals 57g although I, personally, wouldn't reduce the kibble by that amount as egg is such a natural food with nothing added and calcium as a bonus

20. MontysMum

MontysMum Registered Users

Hiya,

Our 8 month old lab was on Millies and also lost his appetite. I tried changing to another flavour but this didn't work either and he's now on Skinners (less than half the price of Millies too!!). But I am now looking into raw and will change over once I've done enough research.

BTW when I called Millies, they advised that as he was a house pet and not a working dog he should be on Countryside Mix. Is yours an active dog, as I think that the Agility mix is aimed at dogs that do lots of agility style work? Just a thought.