8 month old puppy early riser

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Louisa, Apr 28, 2021.

1. Louisa

Louisa Registered Users

Hi, we have an 8.5 month old who wakes between 4.15 and 5.30am everyday. He barks. He sleeps in our kitchen. He’s always been an early riser. I suspect the light is an issue now as it’s summer but even even it was dark in winter he will still wake. For a few months we were getting up with him at that time and starting our day. But I just got too tired. Then we tried letting him out and then letting him roam free in the house and I’d go back to bed. This either well except for the fact he’d still wake early abs I was still tired from the broken sleep. For the last 4 mornings I’ve just left him to bark. He does not stop. Literally he’ll bark for 1-1.5 hours! So clearly that’s not working either. I do have a utility room that I want to put him in as there are no windows but when I tried it he just barked and scratched the door and was very upset. I’m at a loss as to what to do. I don’t want to leave him to have free reign of the house as I don’t want the sofa to become his “bed” abs not wanting him upstairs either. He goes to bed at 10pm and invariably sleeps through now until 4.15-5.30. A 6.30 wake up would be better. Thoughts?!

2. Nicola Hodson

Nicola Hodson Registered Users

Hello, I had exactly the same issue as you. My girl always got up at 4.30-5.30. I did all the the same things as you. You won’t like my solution but like you I was starting to suffer from sleep deprivation. I needed my sleep as my job is high pressured. I put a dog bed in my room and she sleeps on it now. She gets up when I get up (6.15 for work but 7.00 at the weekends). I realise this is probably not a solution for you but I needed my sleep. Good luck!

3. LizzyB23

LizzyB23 Registered Users

Hi,
    We had exactly this problem with our 3 month old.
    We started off coming down when she woke and taking her to the toilet. Then we would bring her bed into the lounge and kip on the, sofa. She would settle quite well by our side.
    This month, she is now 5 months, we started putting her back in her crate after the toilet.
    Magic, she went back to sleep for another 2 hours and I went back to bed.
    For the last week she hasn't woken u til 7.30.
    I think you can maybe try different things, and as they mature, something that didn't work 2 months ago is now fine.
    Best of luck