9 weeks old and playing rough !

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by loverlab, Nov 1, 2013.

1. loverlab

loverlab Registered Users

Willow is 9 weeks tomorrow, and i cant believe we have now had her for a week. First few days she has been playing but not mouthing too hard last few days she has been mouthing really hard and drawn blood from me and my husband, my 4 year old daughter been had a few times too.

i try to distract er with a toy but seems like she just wants your hand !

any advice? i know she is only playing but it hurts. I haev tried yellping like i am in pain but she stops and looks at me wagging her tail andthen starts again.

2. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Re: 9 weeks old and playing rough !

Hiya. Yelping didn't seem to work with Harley either. She thought it was a game! We would stand up and turn our back with a firm No said to her. We would only ignore her for a very short time. We had to be consistent and told all visitors to do the same. It worked for us.....it did take a few days! Hope this helps.

3. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Time goes quickly and this time will pass too.I was lucky and missed most of it as Dexter was 5 months when he came to us....I took the worse of the nips when they came,I did the yelp and also walked away and stopped play...as he was older that was enough to stop him.keep doing what you are doing and if it is really compromising your safety and that of your little girls ,put willow away in a safe place until she has calmed down,she's so young she's just getting overexcited I think.you aren't alone,there are many,many posts about this difficult time.

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Yelping, and stopping the game (ie any interaction) worked like a dream with Charlie. But it took a little while until he stopped nipping completely and it changed to mouthing (which is still going on, must do something about that....). Probably at least until he was 3 months +. Yelping and not stopping the game made it worse (as I observed when OH would just yelp and carrying on playing ::)).

5. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Yep Julie,Chris did exactly the same.....but when has he ever done anything that I tell him when it comes to Dexter...he always prefers to learn it the hard way,sorry I mean his way ;) ;D

6. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Dexter link=topic=3127.msg33222#msg33222 date=1383319243]
    Yep Julie,Chris did exactly the same.....but when has he ever done anything that I tell him when it comes to Dexter...he always prefers to learn it the hard way,sorry I mean his way ;) ;D
    [/quote]

I know! ::) ::) ::) I've got to leave on a business trip soon, leaving OH in charge. God knows what I'll come back to! The last time OH walked Charlie, and I asked whether Charlie pulled or lagged he said "no, he just stopped to sniff or walked enthusiastically". ::)

7. KeithandKatie

KeithandKatie Registered Users

We had the same issues with Chester but the good new is that it will pass.
    Chester is now 4 months and does not nip at all, he still puts his mouth on my hands and arms but he
    never nips or bites down and its amazing how gentle he is. This literally happened over night for us, one night he was nipping and then next night
    he figured out that he shouldnt do it.

Keep doing what you are doing and bare with it :eek:)

Keith & Katie

8. Christoph W

Christoph W Registered Users

This sounds very familiar ;D ;D ;D
    When we got Odin my wife's arms looked like we adopted a baby tiger and not a dog ;D ;D ;D.
    We tried everything from high pitched screaming to ignoring and after a while the biting started to get more gentle.
    He totally stopped the nipping when he had all his adult theeth. :)

9. Maggie68

Maggie68 Registered Users

Hi, Ive just been through all this with Otis. It does hurt dosent it! I think the occasional yelping by you does do something. Also, when everyone says dont interact, do exactly that, stop moving ! Dont wave your hands about, they will get bored eventualy to and stop. It does stop naturaly but you have a few more weeks yet, and you definately dont want to encourage it. Otis started to get his big teeth at about five months, but I had bruised arms for quite a few weeks! Sometimes, they are tired and confining to a crate, does no harm, also they can start to teeth, and other times they want to play, so exchange your hands for a chewable toy. Chewable toys for teething are good, also frozen kongs . Maggiex

10. tartanmouse

tartanmouse Registered Users

We were very fortunate never to have too much of this from our pups, as there's alwasy been an older dog there to practice on, with far better reactions - like chasing them round the garden, or biting them (very gently) back. But when it did happen, we'd get up and walk away, saying nothing. It worked for us.
    Enjoy the puppy stage with Willow, it passes so quickly.