A dog that transformed a 104-year-old's life

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Cath, May 20, 2018.

1. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Granca, 20180815, Sven and 10 others like this.
  2. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

Lovely story...Layla is adorable! :)

3. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

I'm not crying, you're crying!...ok, we're all crying. What a beautiful little story. I love the way he talks about her "she's very conciliatory" :rofl:

4. Emily_BabbelHund

I know many seniors aren't able to have pets because their living situation doesn't allow for it - for example assisted living - and that's another issue, but I wish more shelters/rescues would have senior pets for senior humans programs. It's such a good solution for both the dog and person - and in this case such a good idea to have Layla remain a foster so he has the ongoing support of the rescue group. That way the gentleman can know that if anything does happen to him, she will be safe and cared for.

While something similar happened several times while out with Brogan, one older man in Germany made a huge impression on me by coming up to us and doting on Brogan. He'd had dogs his whole life but had decided due to his age that he couldn't any more. He talked to me about his dogs, how much he missed them and looked so incredibly sad as he petted and kissed Brogan. He was very fit-looking in a tough German farmer type way and to my eyes didn't even look all that old, but this was his decision. What a wonderful home that man would have given to a senior dog and how much happier he would have been. :(

drjs@5 likes this.
  5. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

why am I thnking of @Stacia .........

6. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

My work colleagues dad does this he's got 2 of his own dogs and a foster. Hes retired still fit and loves his dogs. He's got a real way with shy over looked dogs or troubled dogs. His Spanish rescue laddie came with a muzzle and a real fear of people. 12 months later he's a lovely happy dog. The most recent foster has been pts after having been with him for a year she was 13. He'll do it again I'm sure. He had such patience and kindness

7. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Perfect. Just perfect.

8. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

This is a subject very close to our hearts. We have a dream of setting up a charity which matches older people with older dogs. Supports them with once weekly visits, for a chat, cup of tea and check that everything is OK. We help provide financial support and negotiate special discount rates with local vets and trainers. If they are not able to manage a dog, then we bring a dog to them for a visit :)

Maxx's Mum, Granca, edzbird and 7 others like this.
  9. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I am just worried I would die and leave the dog and he would miss the home he had with me:(

drjs@5 likes this.
  10. SwampDonkey

Any of us could die leaving a dog, death is not just a thing that happens as you yet older. I have faced this and have prepared for it. If we die our dogs can and do go on.

Maxx's Mum, selina27, drjs@5 and 2 others like this.
  11. MF

MF Registered Users

My aunt of 80 adopted a senior dog. Perfect match. Dog doesn’t demand walks, likes to snuggle in bed.

12. charlie

charlie Registered Users

That's a beautiful story. Rescue Centres are missing a trick adopting out older dogs to seniors. Some of you may remember a lovely lady in our village that missed her Labrador so much when she passed away. My friend was 90 years old at the time and had a degenerative eye condition. I used to visit her for a cuppa and chat, she told me many times how much she would love another dog, so I set to work and found her one from Labrador Rescue. The lovely assessor came out to visit us both. I said I would be on hand to take Dora to the vets and walk her sometimes to help out, keep a watchful eye so they let Dora come and live with my lovely friend, who sadly passed away and Dora was rehomed with a horrible man, a family "friend" that mistreated her but with the assessors help I got Dora out of there and she went to live with another lovely lady and her older Labradors to live her life. Dora too sadly passed on a couple of years ago :(

The joy Dora brought to my friends life was priceless and I am sure helped her through her last years. I will never forget them xxx

13. Emily_BabbelHund

Wonderful idea! :heart:

drjs@5, SwampDonkey and Stacia like this.
  14. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Absolutely @Beanwood.

You are an angel @charlie, wish you both lived near me! I do have 6 year old Rourke and we do walk for at least one and a half hours a day and do Gundog training in the summer, but I have a yen for another Lab as well.

15. Harley Quinn

Harley Quinn Registered Users

A few weeks ago I was contacted by a foundation that manages retirements homes, old age homes and frail care centres in our city. About 8 years ago we did regular visits with our two cats and they had found my number from their records. So when they called and asked if we would bring the cats again I explained that the cats are retired now and due to the CKD that our oldest cat has we don't want to stress him in any way. But that I have Harley and she works in my practice with me. We were booked to do a talk to the residents of a retirement village on animal assisted therapy.
    We went last week and it was fantastic for Harls. At one stage I thought she was going to wag her tail off. Everyone that attended the talk was already animal lovers and I spoke about connection and why it is so important for people and how animals can offer than for us. The talk was very well recieved and Harley had people queuing to pat and love her. She was a fantastic pup. A number of people came up and told me how they had labradors all their lives and how excited they were to see Harley and hear about her work.
    What I loved was that Harley sat with me while I spoke and she members of the audience would make eye contact with her and she would wag her tail.
    It was a lovely experience and I so agree with all the sentiments expressed above - there are definitely ways that matching people of all ages and animals could be managed. It may not be as simple as just straight out adoptions but it is oh so incredibly vaulable for indviduals, animals and society.

16. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

@Stacia, you don't live that far away...and re your yen, don't worry...I really think you should :)

Stacia, drjs@5 and Emily_BabbelHund like this.
  17. SwampDonkey

Why don't you see what's possible one of my dog walking companions is 86 just had a new hip and a new rescue dog. He's a grumpy(the dog) little chap she thinks hilarious and she knows if anything happens to her the rescue she got him from would look after him.

Stacia and Cath like this.
  18. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

Fantastic idea, I really hope you can get this off the ground. It's something I've come across over the years, working as a district nurse, the worry of who will care for a pet, and not only elderly people either. The cinnamon trust that you posted about a few weeks ago sounds excellent too. My colleagues and I have been involved in rehoming before now!

@Stacia, you would have plenty of support from Forum colleagues far and wide! And think of guide dogs -- they go through different homes all their lives, with the right care and support they are just fine.

Maxx's Mum and Cath like this.
  19. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

@selina27 I always feel so sad for guide dogs though, it breaks my heart when they leave their first home. I am probably too soft, the result of going to a horrible boarding school and experiencing terrible home sickness for my Mother. Father was in the army, Mother had TB and had to go into a sanatorium for three years, so there was no alternative.

20. Cath

Cath Registered Users