A Lump ;(

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by charlie, Jan 6, 2015.

1. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Hattie went to be clipped today and Sarah showed me a lump on her right back leg. It's quite a bit bigger than a Pea. We are booked at the Vets next week for her booster so will ask for her to take a look. Does anyone have any idea what it could be? I am not going to google it. I am pretty worried :( :( Thanks xxx

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Re: A Lump ;(

Hugs Helen , most, in fact a massive majority of lumps are either cysts or fatty lumps , my old Lab Tess had one and I also worried myself sick until a needle aspirator test had been done, hers was near the jugular so, although it was benign , the Vet decided to remove it because it was in a dodgy place . Try not to panic Helen ( but I know you will do , as did I ) xxx

3. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Bones had so many lumps as he got older... They are almost always fatty deposits or cysts, as Kate says. Try not to worry!

4. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

It's more likely to be a fatty lump or cyst than anything nasty, but best to get checked out just in case!

5. Jen

Jen Registered Users

I agree with everyone else.

Murphy had numerous warty type lumps over the years which were removed if he needed an op otherwise I was told to keep an eye on them.

He had a flat cyst on his flank for a few years about the size of a penny. It suddenly got big and burst. To begin with it was treated with antibiotics. It went down but came back quickly so the vet decided to remove it. It turned out to be an infection in the fat layer usually caused by a seed getting in via a scratch or because it was in his flank it could've been a seed that had come through the intestine wall and bedded itself into the fat layer. Harmless.

Ralph has just had a very ugly looking lump about 2 inches in diameter removed from his thigh. It was a trico blastaumer (no idea how to spell that) something to do with hair follicles. It didn't look good but was benign.

I know it's very difficult but try not to worry it's most likely nothing to worry about and hattie will be fine :)

6. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

You are bound to be worried Helen.
    Odds are is something benign and harmless.
    You are doing the right thing getting the vet to check it though (and keeping away from google ;) )
    Will keep our fingers firmly crossed for you xx

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Hope it's nothing, and the vet can put your mind at rest.

8. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Ah lovely Hattie, everything crossed it's nothing xxx

9. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Hope it is nothing, Helen. Fingers crossed here. xx

10. debsie

debsie Registered Users

Oh no, I would worry too Helen but all fingers and paws crossed here that all is ok x

11. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Mostly these things are fatty lumps, as others have said. My first dog had heaps in the end. He had a couple removed as they were near his elbow joint and were uncomfortable when he moved, but otherwise they are harmless.

Just like us dogs get lumps and bumps and most mean nothing. So it's really not something to worry about at this point, but it's always wise to get the vet to look at any new lump. Try not to worry :)

12. Libamajig123

Libamajig123 Registered Users

You are wise to not Google anything :) I don't know much about them, but I do know that a few labs I've met has had plenty of lumps. Kelly's childhood lab had quite a few of them (all benign) and he lived a long full life. It must be awful to have to wait until next week to get a test done, but hang in there!!

13. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Ah Helen,I know you will be worried,I hope it isn't anything serious,the vet will check her out properly for you xxx big hug x

14. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Hope it's nothing serious :( please do let us know x

15. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Hope it's just a fatty cyst - they usually are.

Fingers and paws crossed xx

16. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Thank you everyone for your concern I appreciate it.

Just got back from the Vets. Our lovely Vet said she doesn't think it's a fatty lump or cycst as it feels more noduley, so the options are:-

1. Keep an eye on it and if it changes in size smaller or larger, colour or appearance in any way to go straight back.
    2. A needle Aspiration to be sent off but this is often inconclusive as there are so many things lumps can be.
    3 Surgery to have it removed and tested.

Any thoughts anyone? I said I would ring to let her know our decision. I will talk it over with David tonight.

On a really positive note the Vet said Hattie was in tip top condition not an ounce over weight, coat, eyes everything perfect. She checked her teeth and said "wow look at those teeth they great" She said she is seeing more and more 6 month old puppies and very young dogs with bad and dirty teeth :( She thought it was great that I brush them and when I asked her to make a note that her teeth had been checked she said she didn't think Hattie would ever need any dental work :) :) It's really worth cleaning teeth and giving good treats such as dried fish skin cubes as they are abrassive which helps they are also totally natural with no fat and no rubbish.

Thanks everyone. xxx

17. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Great about the teeth! :D Lovely to see dogs with shining white teeth - and with fresh breath.

Did the vet give you any indication what he/she would recommend?

18. Jen

Jen Registered Users

I was going to ask the same as Karen. Did your vet say what she'd recommend ?

It's a difficult decision putting her through an op that might not be necessary. However you would know one way or another. If it's benign then no problem, if not it's already gone and caught quickly because she can't have had it very long.

The lump Murphy had removed stayed small for years. The lump Ralph had removed grew relatively quickly, just a few months. Both were benign.

I haven't helped at all have I ::). Sorry

It's great to know everything else is so good. :)

19. rubyrubyruby

rubyrubyruby Registered Users

I often turn it on the vet and ask what they would do, usually this is good guidance as to what the next step would be.

Ruby had a small lump on her leg about 2 years ago. I opted for needle aspiration and then the results came back and the vet suggested a removal of it. It was removed and tested, and fortunately wasn't anything sinister. She had another one that came up about 1 year later and I just kept an eye on it and it went away.

I would call the vet back and ask what they would do. I would probably opt for a needle aspiration before going straight for surgery though if you chose to go down that route.

Chloe

20. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Thank you, I wouldn't say her teeth were shining white, but very, very good for her age of 7 1/2 years so I pretty happy with that considering I only started brushing them 6 months ago and of course consumable bones help a lot :)

I did ask the Vet what she would do and she said if it were her she would have it removed only because she would need to know. Just so difficult as if possible I really don't want to put her through a GA and surgery if possible but on the other hand …..

Oh I really don't know what to do :'(

xxx