A Lump ;(

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by charlie, Jan 6, 2015.

1. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Re: A Lump ;(

Ah well as long as the actual vet care is high quality :)

2. charlie

charlie Registered Users

It is high quality care Barbara which is why I'm holding my tongue :eek: x

3. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Glad that you did at least get a date Helen, but it seems very unfair that a rough guide figure cant be given , thinking of you x

4. Jen

Jen Registered Users

I think it must be the receptionist being awkward Helen.

At my old vets it was very difficult to get passed the receptionists although a vet would ring back eventually.

My new vet as long, as you ring outside consulting hours, will usually answer the phone himself. When Ralph had his lump removed I asked for an estimate as my cousin had requested one. My vet rang me the next day with an itemised estimate telling me the cost of everything from the pre op bloods to each injection. He also went through the whole procedure in minute detail down to when he would insert the oxygen tube to how long it should take for Ralph to come round. Probably didn't need quite so much detail but very interesting.

It's probably a good idea not to wind up the receptionists, although you shouldn't have to. I would be making sure the vet you speak to knows your not impressed with the service you've received while she's been away though.

5. kateincornwall

Jens post reminded me of something , when we took Millie to the hospital to see the eye surgeon , I asked how much the op would cost, he was more than happy to give me a figure of between X and Y , I do think its unfair Helen , but at least the care is good x

6. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Receptionists who act as gatekeepers do a lot of damage to a business. You should tell the vet about your experience, Helen. Very sorry about all this extra stress they are causing.

7. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

It may not be the receptionist's fault. They usually have to reflect the policy of the practice. I have worked at two veterinary surgeries, one vet would not talk on the phone if he could help it and if he did, he charged! The second surgery was completely different, vets very approachabble.

8. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Glad you have got a date at least :)
    Hopefully as soon as the vet is back you will get some answers. I would give the vet feedback on how you feel about their service over the previous week or so.
    Good luck x

9. Oberon

Yes, fair comment Stacia. It could be an issue with practice policy, not the receptionist's personal approach.

10. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I had a phone call today, one of the other Vets spoke to the Vet that examined Hattie and we were given costings etc, she is booked in for the 19th February at 12.30 pm for her surgery. In all we waited 3 days so not as bad as 7 - 11. I'm pleased it's sorted but worried :'(

Thanks for all your support xx

11. Naya

Naya Registered Users

So glad you managed to get it sorted. Sending you all big hugs x

12. Oberon

Well, that is good to hear.

I know it's easy to say, but try not to worry. Most lumps are nothing. If the vet thought it was serious they would've recommended getting rid of it pronto, but they said 'up to you'.

My first Lab had a skin cancer on his leg. It was quite obviously a cancer, due to its very odd appearance. He was about 7 when he got that. We had it removed. All very straightforward. Never had another one. Lived to 14.

So, try not to dwell on it :)

13. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Also, if they were worried, I'm sure they'd have booked her in for an emergency op, rather than wait nearly a month. Chin up, Helen xx

14. Kirriegirl

Kirriegirl Registered Users

Glad you have got the information now and that you are confident of getting excellent care from the vet.
    However, whether it is a staff issue or a policy issue I think you should explain that you were not happy with how you were dealt with. They should realise that the best care starts with how the owners are dealt with and made to feel. If the vets don't have time to talk to clients then they should employ more vets. I think some constructive feedback is a good idea
    I know you will worry no matter what anyone says, but try to keep busy and it will soon be over.

15. Jen

Jen Registered Users

I'm glad you've heard back more promptly than you thought Helen and it's all sorted.

I know it's pointless to say it but try not to worry. At least forget about it until 18th February. ;)

16. kateincornwall

Pleased that you have this sorted Helen, the wait must be hard for you , thinking of you x

17. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Just catching up..glad you have a date sorted :) :)

18. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Thank you, I am worrying over nothing I know, sorry :-[ going to try and forget about it until the 18th and then panic about the 19th :eek: :( xx

19. kateincornwall

Only natural to worry Helen x

20. Libamajig123

Libamajig123 Registered Users

Hugs and Hamilton kisses Helen!