A moral/cultural conundrum: online advert (i.e. "eBay") dog or puppy?

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Emily_BabbelHund, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Kelsey&Axel

Kelsey&Axel Registered Users

Bruno is very handsome! Good luck with your search! Which ever route you go you'll have a wonderful new best friend

Emily_BabbelHund likes this.
  2. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Sometimes you gave to just leap. Just make sure you land on your feet running. You can do things logically work it all out . The heart knows what you need though. On a subconcious level you know what you really want don't fight it.

3. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

Well, you know I do love that Bruce, so that seems like an excellent portent. Thank you! :)

Dexter likes this.
  4. Emily_BabbelHund

Thank you, that's really kind of you to say. If the stars don't align with Bruno (or any of the other wonderful pups I'll be meeting in the next week), hopefully that means that "my" dog is out there waiting elsewhere!

5. charlie

charlie Registered Users

How exciting. Trust in your heart it won't let you down. Whatever you decide it will the right thing for you and any dog or puppy you choose. Please give Bruno a big hug from me, he is a special boy :heart: and if you have time give them all hugs. Good luck Emily, just take the plunge as you need a special friend in your life, it's time xx

6. Emily_BabbelHund

Thanks for the kind words. I'm so grateful to you for pointing me to Spanish Stray Dogs - it was the push I needed to get me started looking at rescues. Even if I don't adopt from them and end up finding my dog in a completely different way, it will be good to feel like I'm doing something to help down here as the dog situation here in Spain has always bothered me. Getting to help in any way is the right road to go down.

And I will absolutely will be giving lots of doggie hugs and butt scratches tomorrow and Sunday! :hug:

SwampDonkey, drjs@5 and charlie like this.
  7. charlie

charlie Registered Users

You are so welcome Emily, it looks like a really good rescue centre with just gorgeous dogs :heart: I only wish I could rescue another one as it bothers me greatly too :( I'm absolutely sure any help you can give will be greatly appreciated. Can't wait to hear all about your visits xx :)

SwampDonkey and Emily_BabbelHund like this.
  8. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Good luck Emily.
    I was going to say "follow your heart".
    But normally on here we say "Think with your head, NOT your heart".
    What's for you won't go by you x

Dexter and Emily_BabbelHund like this.
  9. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

Good luck Emily! Follow your big heart and you won't go wrong. :heart::doug:

10. Emily_BabbelHund

Love that...a keeper in my "words to live by"!

drjs@5 likes this.
  11. mandyb

mandyb Registered Users

Good luck. :)

12. Granca

Granca Registered Users

Good luck, Emily, we're all waiting with bated breath...! :)

13. Emily_BabbelHund

Even though I'm WAY, WAY off my original topic here, I'll just continue to post here as I feel like you all watching this thread have become my own little personal cheerleading/advice team. So here goes:

I've just heard from the shelter who has Bruno that another family is looking at him which means I have to decide the day that I meet him if I want him. Otherwise, **poof** he's gone. This means no chance to meet the other dogs on my list or go home and have a think about it before making what is (at least for me) the most important decision I'm likely to make in the next 10 years. I had been feeling pretty optimistic about Bruno lately, or just in general optimistic that maybe I was finally ready for another dog, but knowing the pressure is on like this makes me want to hide in a hole. I feel like if I decide to take him so quickly, that I will regret not really being able to sit down in peace and quiet and consider this decision thoroughly. But I also feel like if I decide to not take him that I will regret missing out on **the** dog.

At the end of the day, the more important thing to see in this situation is that it is great that Bruno will be adopted after this weekend. However, I'm feeling rather sad for myself. Mainly because I know me and one of my least commendable traits is that when backed into a corner, I almost always run away as fast as I can. Sometimes it turns out that was smart...other things I end up regretting forever.

It's kind of highlighting for me why I had been leaning towards a breeder... you have more time to get used to the whole idea. Realistically, any rescue/shelter adoption is going to be like this - a split decision that you just hope makes sense a month or a year from now.

I have my other shelter visit later today, so maybe that will be a good trial run and better steel me for Sunday's ordeal. Again, the important thing is that Bruno (and the other pups for that matter) get homes, so I realise my panic is self-centred and all about me. I'll just need to get over myself and see what comes, I guess.

14. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I think sometimes those decisions that are forced on us give us the most instinctive answers. Listen to those instincts, I'm sure they're good :)

drjs@5 and Emily_BabbelHund like this.
  15. 20180815

20180815 Guest

Yes this is the thing with rescues...there can be a lot of competition so you do have to act quickly. A lot of times I would enquire about a dog, only to find out it was already homed. So the fact that Bruno isn't taken yet is a good/rare thing, tbh I think he looks awesome so I'm not surprised another family is interested in him. Bruno looks like a gem to me...calm, handsome, gentle with children :) I understand that panic feeling when under pressure, but if you're at all leaning towards rescues (which you are), I would encourage you to go for it! Most of mine have been rescues with the exception of my lab, and I don't regret any of them. Our latest took nearly a year to warm up to us but now that she has, she has REALLY come into her element and it was so worth it. She had been a tiny little dog living out on the streets on her own for her entire life (2.5 years), so it was a drastic change for her. Bruno looks a lot more acclimated and like he'd settle in fairly quickly with you.

16. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

The thing with Emily (sorry for speaking for you, @Emily_BabbelHund, when you're more than capable of doing it yourself! :D ) is that this dog needs to be trained to be an assistance dog. So, it's not as simple as rescuing because it's a nice thing to do. The dog has to be able to perform its duties, both physically and emotionally, so any baggage needs to be possible to be trained out. I think Bruno looks marvellous, too - the right kind of size by the look of it, and a lovely temperament. But you'll get much more of a feel for that when you meet him. The other two look pretty small, but it's hard to tell from a picture.

17. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Just stopping by to wish you well Emily,whichever dog that comes home to you will be the luckiest one ever.It's a shame we can't tell him how thoroughly his Mum soulsearched about choosing him.Let us know how your visit goes x

18. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Don't panic - you'll know.

And when you know you will be at peace for Bruno and for yourself, either way.

You are more than capable of training him if he's the one :D

If it doesn't work out I'll have him! I'm half serious here, as I'm sure there would be someone here who would!!

Dexter and Emily_BabbelHund like this.
  19. 20180815

20180815 Guest

Ah I see ok, I don't know the history there, and know nothing of training assistance dogs, but Bruno does seem to have a lovely temperament with the children so hopefully that bodes well :)

20. Emily_BabbelHund

All of mine except my first Rottie have been rescues as well, so I do agree with you. Lovely (and encouraging) story about your girl who took a year to warm up but finally came into her own. :)