A moral/cultural conundrum: online advert (i.e. "eBay") dog or puppy?

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Emily_BabbelHund, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

You can speak for me any time... you explained it all perfectly!

Goodness, I hope so. I've never had a "love at first sight" moment with dogs or humans. They always have to worm their way into my heart. I just hope if Bruno could be "the one" that I have some kind of vibe. Doesn't have to be angels singing, but just SOMETHING that says "yeah" or "nay" quickly.

You've got a good crystal ball there! Yes, I saw them both today and they were very cute but really too small - not even the size of a Lab, though that's clearly what they were mixed with.

2. Emily_BabbelHund

Mmm.. I appreciate the vote of confidence but I fear I may come across more self-assured than I actually am inside. You're spot on about the panicking, though. :confused:

Hey, no fear for Mr. Bruno...his cushy future is assured whether I adopt him or not. That's the best part of all of this - Bruno's days in the city shelter are numbered.

drjs@5 likes this.
  3. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Aw, so how was your visit? They weren't for you, then - any other leads?

4. Emily_BabbelHund

So off I went to "Refugio Kimba" today and saw some of the pups whose pics I've posted here. The two in the photos (Laika and Tango) were, as @snowbunny accurately guessed, really too small for me. They were both super friendly, though. And very, very wild. Laika especially was doing her very best crocopup routine and I have the bruises to prove it. Ouch! I also met another dog, Yogi, who wasn't yet posted on their website. He was also a black Lab mix, probably with a bit of collie or GSD as he was bigger and more the right size for me. He was a real sweetie and just wanted to lean on me or sit in my lap. He was probably the best option currently there. He also pulled like a tank when we took him and Laika for a walk together, which reminded me why I'd nearly always done best with puppies or smaller foster dogs - it's just really hard to handle a larger untrained pull-like-a-tank dog. Plus I was stupid and didn't bring my gloves along and my hands are in a sad and blistery state. But my bad there - for Sunday I won't forget my dog walking gloves.

Overall it was very, very overwhelming. 80+ dogs, all but 5-6 in kennels, barking their heads off. It was a pretty nice facility and honestly I expected much, much worse. It was certainly better than the humane society in my home town in California, and at least they don't kill any of the dogs like they do in California. That meant that some of the dogs had been there their whole lives. The oldest resident had come as a puppy and is now 10 years old. He looked quite happy but that just depressed me to no end. The German lady who took me into the refuge (there is no one there with the dogs from 3pm until 8am the next day) was very nice and walked me around all the kennels and then we took three of the dogs for a walk.

I told her that I was going to the other shelter on Sunday (the Bruno shelter) and that I'd know more next week how much I'd be able to volunteer depending on what happened Sunday. This shelter today will let you "test" the dogs by bringing one home for 3-4 nights to see if you want to adopt them. I told her in theory that was a great idea, but if I did that they dog would be mine. She just laughed and agreed...turns out she herself has 12 dogs!

Mainly it was a bit sad and very overwhelming. I really respect people who do this work or can just go into a shelter and pick out a a dog in a snap. Just the barking alone was rather soul-killing. My head is still ringing and though I was only there for two hours I feel like a wet wrung-out mop. But I'm glad I went, I think it will help me be more realistic about the Sunday visit.

5. Emily_BabbelHund

Was typing away when you posted this. I wrote a novel as usual! :rolleyes:

snowbunny likes this.
  6. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Good luck Emily, I will be thinking about you. You know even pure breed puppies don't always make it as assistance or guide dogs but I do get it having to make that snap decision as we had to with Charlie, it's so tough and heartbreaking. I'm still hoping it's Bruno but I'm biased as I found him :inlove: Things happen for a reason, what will be will be. You will know. xx

Emily_BabbelHund likes this.
  7. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I think most of us are hoping it's Bruno :)

No pressure though... :D

Dexter, Emily_BabbelHund and charlie like this.
  8. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Tough decisions.
    Make sure you are getting a breather from the pressure of worrying about this. :nod:
    Have you a lambie? Might help.....

9. Emily_BabbelHund

No pressure at all!

Here is a scientifically accurate description of my current brain function:
    :tail:

Granca and snowbunny like this.
  10. Emily_BabbelHund

I don't have a magical Labrador lambie. I do however have my teddy Dante, whom I "adopted" (shh...we don't say "purchased" around him) to take with me to my chemo treatments ( my guide through the nine levels of cancer hell) and who has become my go-to cuddle crutch for moments just such as these. I think he and I will be spending a bit of quality on-the-couch-with-a-smutty-romance-novel quiet time on Saturday to prep me for Sunday.

drjs@5 likes this.
  11. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

I know what ever you decide it will be fine. It's not about hearts and flowers it about recognising potential you've done it enough times now to know which dog will work for you. Me and Rory send hugs Moo just nodded and looked mysterious

12. Emily_BabbelHund

That wise and mysterious doggie look is the best. :heart:

13. SwampDonkey

I think she's doozing off really:rolleyes:

drjs@5 and Emily_BabbelHund like this.
  14. charlie

charlie Registered Users

15. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

Stanley says if you don't find a dog he'll come and live with you :D

snowbunny and Emily_BabbelHund like this.
  16. Emily_BabbelHund

Granca, Dexter, edzbird and 5 others like this.
  17. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

Quinn thinks Stanley would be the perfect little brother - ship him to Canada!!

JenBainbridge likes this.
  18. SwampDonkey

Yeah!

19. charlie

charlie Registered Users

PHEW!! My heart skipped a beat or 10 :eek: xx

20. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users