A puppy while working full time

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Graham452, Aug 29, 2017.

1. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

So when did you do this training, in regard to building up the time to learn to be alone? (I work 34hrs a week)My pup probably needs help with this too...she's 4mths..[/QUOTE]

We just it whenever we had a spare few minutes. Walked out the room about 10 times building the time up slowly, 3 secs, 4 secs, 5 secs etc. Did it about 4/5 times a day.

When it got to minutes we'd do it less times, so two 2 minute goes.

When he got to about 10/15 minutes the problem seemed to be solved. But we still built him up slowly from there not leaving him too long :)

Me and my dog likes this.
  2. Me and my dog

Me and my dog Registered Users

JenBainbridge, thanks for that feedback:) I had just thought of something, was your puppy 4.5months when you did that training or did you start right away when you got him?

3. Samantha Jones

Samantha Jones Registered Users

We started pretty much straight away with Bailey, we gave him about a week to settle in, then when he was settled at home, we would go out of the room for a second or two building up to minutes but going very very slowly. Now at 18 months old he is fine for 5 hours (he goes into our bedroom and basically takes over the bed for a good old snooze!). We live in a terrace house so have neighbours on both sides of the bedroom walls. After the first time of leaving Bailey for half an hour we spoke to both neighbours who said they had not heard a peep from him (if he was barking or whining then they would have heard).

4. Graham452

Graham452 Registered Users

Hey!

I just wanted to update all you guys who responded.

After taking into everyone's advice, and everything I've read here and elsewhere, we've decided now isn't the time for us to bring a Lab into our family.

We are going to keep looking for a dog that fits with us, but there's no rush.

Thanks for your advice! I'll be sticking around as there is so much info here for me to absorb for when I eventually do get a Lab (probably when I retire in 40 years!)

edzbird, Granca, Snowy and 6 others like this.
  5. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I think it's great that you've researched this and made an educated decision. Maybe things will look different in a couple of years - as you say, there is no rush. All the best to you!

Graham452 likes this.
  6. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I'm glad you've made an educated decision rather than getting a pup and having to give them up after realising it wasn't right for you. I waited until I worked part time and my daughter had gone to uni and it worked well for me.
    Good luck and I hope one day you get the dog you want.

Graham452 likes this.
  7. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

@Graham452 sorry to hear you aren't joining the labrador family right now, but as Naya said, better to make that decision now rather than after your pup comes home.
    Hope your dream of a puppy comes to you at the right time x

Graham452 likes this.
  8. Snowy

Snowy Registered Users

Hats off to you Graham. Firstly for being responsible enough to research thoroughly before making a decision; and secondly for making a decision which contrasts with your original wants/wishes. Forgive me for judging you on a public forum, but showing that level of responsibility and ability to make an unselfish decision, really are the qualities that'll make you a great dog owner in the future.

If it's any consolation, we waited just over ten years between "wanting a dog" and "being in the correct circumstances to have one".

One last piece of advice: make the most of the time you have now, before you get a dog. There's a lot of stuff you can do now, which you might not want to do once you have a dog, e.g. flying somewhere for a holiday. :)

Graham452, drjs@5 and selina27 like this.
  9. Samantha Jones

Samantha Jones Registered Users

Well done on making an informed decision that is right not only for you and your family, but right for any potential puppy. I waited 30 years from leaving my family home, with a dog, to my boy's arrival. Working full time with a commute of 2 hours each way would not have been fair on any dog I had, my OH or me. Now we both have the time (OH took early retirement and I changed my job to 5 mins commute each way and I work mostly in the evenings, if I am there during the day then Bailey is with me) to make sure the dog has all he needs for training, company and exercise. A long wait but so worth it :)

Graham452 likes this.