Absconding Dog, Foolish Owner ;(

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by charlie, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

This is so, so tough. Again, kudos to you for even trying when it sounds like everyone else has given up.

I don't know what I'd do in that situation either... I have friends in Germany who really love their dogs and aren't unkind to them at all (quite the opposite) but they also feel they don't need to train their dogs and some of the dogs have become serial "absconders" while on walks. Not the same situation as yours as they truly are always kind and loving with their dogs, but the possible outcome is the same - dogs lost or possibly injured from getting away from them at the wrong time. :(

charlie likes this.
  2. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Exactly the outcome is unbearable :( It's the toughest thing to have a serial "absconder" it really is and takes mountains upon mountains of training to undo. I have told him it's not hopeless he can do it, Charlie is evidence it can be done (not perfect I know) but NO he won't hear of it.

To add insult to injury she said "I really ought to get him an ID Tag", no you think :rolleyes::mad: x

SwampDonkey and Emily_BabbelHund like this.
  3. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

It's a pickle, because in a sense you're enabling him by helping him find his dog every time he absconds. People like him get away with their bad behaviour because good people say "oh but the poor dog". I know, the dog is the victim, but I think your neighbours have the right idea by cutting him off. The whole situation is just going to keep annoying you and the odds of this man having a eureka moment are slim.

SwampDonkey and charlie like this.
  4. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Yes, you are right Sophie, David said the same thing to me as I headed out again today. x