Accidents in the hallway on the way to potty outside

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by Zee, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Zee

Zee Registered Users

Got our pupper yesterday morning.
    Pretty much slept all day at home yesterday, and she slept in her crate last night, she woke me up twice to potty so that was great, no accident in her crate.

So far, she had two accidents in my unit both from last night tho before sleeping, nothing (and hopefully it will stay like this) from today (yet).

Couple issues i have.
    I have read about taking pupper out every so often but what do i do when shes just napping away either in her crate or in the living room and does not want to budge? do i wake her up and carry her out at specific times/x amount of time? I dont mind doing this i just dont want her to get used to being carried, pupper is one thing doggo is another.

We live on the second floor, she is still scared of the stairs so what im trying to do is lead her out of my unit on leash let her follow and when we get to the stairs part i carry her. So far shes had two accidents in the hallway already on the way to potty outside.

Should i just carry her right from getting out of my unit to avoid accidents like these? get her out more often? (but again she naps so much and wont budge when she is napping)

advice please ...

Also, what are your thoughts on putting her in her crate (closing the crate after) when falls asleep outside of it?

Thanku in advance!!!!

2. Mary Katherine Cuff

Mary Katherine Cuff Registered Users

Hi! Keeping a schedule for your puppy to go to the bathroom definitely helps. For example, after you feed your puppy or give your puppy a drink, they usually need to go to the bathroom about 15-20 minutes afterwards. To help ensure that she doesn’t have accidents on the way down your stairs, I’d suggest taking her out an extra 5 minutes earlier. Keep in mind that accidents will happen and it will be apart of the process, so don’t get too frustrated. As for the stairs, when I was teaching one of my puppers to go down and up the stairs, I tried to place treats on the stairs to create a positive association and encouraged her to come up (only one at a time) and down the stairs. Just be patient and positive. Good luck and I hope this helps.

http://m.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/housetraining_puppies.html

https://www.dogsbestlife.com/home-page/help-your-dog-overcome-her-fear-of-stairs/

3. Zee

Zee Registered Users

Thanks Mary,
    after her meals, she goes nappy time tho lol. so i guess wake her up?

4. Mary Katherine Cuff

Mary Katherine Cuff Registered Users

Yea, after she eats and drinks it would be best to wake her up so she can stick to a schedule. I would take her out every hour or two after that. I know it may sound a little cruel to wake her up, but if she keeps sleeping, when she does wake up she may feel the need to go to the bathroom right away. Hope keeping her on a bathroom schedule will help!