Adding things to dry kibble

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by allycat228, Nov 19, 2014.

1. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Re: Adding things to dry kibble

Charlie is kept slim - and he is always starving. His kibble goes down without touching the sides. I honestly do not worry about it being boring. And if he weren't such a hoover, and was fussy, I definitely wouldn't be putting anything on his kibble.

Extras, really tasty stuff, I think is just a complete waste to put on kibble. I save them for training. I want that "wow chicken!" to be associated with doing something I want him to do, not having it plonked down in a bowl. In a way, it's one of the advantages of feeding kibble that people feeding raw won't benefit from so much. Seems such a waste to waste it in a way.

2. Julie1962

Julie1962 Registered Users

I see my dogs as family members they need more than treats for training, they need good variety of foods to eat at each meal. I wouldn't carry a pocketful of tinned fish with me to train either so they either get it in their kongs/bowls or not at all and I favour making it part of their food.

3. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I think everyone here views their dogs as family members, but some people choose to do things differently. There's no right or wrong way, just what you think is best for your dog. I think the word "treat" can imply that it's a tiny thing, like a boiled sweet for a kid, but plenty of people use a large part of their dog's daily food allowance for training purposes - "treats". Willow regularly gets a handful of roast chicken a day in training treats, and that's subtracted from the amount of food she gets at her meals. Does she miss it if she doesn't get a meal in her bowl? Not if her belly's full.

Anyway, I think that's all getting away from the original intent of this thread.

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=snowbunny link=topic=8829.msg125654#msg125654 date=1416571567]
    Anyway, I think that's all getting away from the original intent of this thread.
    [/quote]

That's allowed. :)

It's not a question of right or wrong - it's just a discussion, on the Internet - no-one has to "win". ::) :)

It's actually quite interesting that Julie gives her reasons as:

[quote author=Julie1962 link=topic=8829.msg125653#msg125653 date=1416570435]
    I see my dogs as family members they need more than treats for training, they need good variety of foods to eat at each meal. I wouldn't carry a pocketful of tinned fish with me to train either so they either get it in their kongs/bowls or not at all and I favour making it part of their food.
    [/quote]

So she sees tinned fish as somehow "necessary" for her dogs - presumably for the pleasure it gives them, not because the kibble is nutritionally deficient.

5. Julie1962

Yes exactly I wouldn't see it as completely nutritionally needed but I like my dogs to have the pleasure of eating it, I like chocolate obviously not nutritionally necessary to my diet but it gives me pleasure I want my dogs to feel that pleasure about their food. I had one years ago who hated meat we worked out a good vegetarian diet for him and that gave him pleasure in his food, could I have forced him to eat meat ? of course I could but why make food a battleground or less pleasant ?
    I don't know everyone's ages here but when I was a girl dogs had tins of meat and winalot biscuits or scraps from the table, it's fairly new to feed such a bland boring diet to dogs and I am not sure it's an improvement for them, it's easier for us and we can be sure they get correct nutrition but I question if it's an improvement for our dogs lives. Just my opinion and no one else has to do what I do I just like a dog to eat what it enjoys all different textures/colours and tastes.

6. snowbunny

I'm entirely with you; I think it benefits them no end, especially mentally. I don't think it's absolutely necessary, and I think it is possible to have a dog on what we would consider to be a boring diet; indeed, some need to be for dietary or medical reasons. I think I probably anthropomorphise a little too much, which means I wouldn't be happy feeding just kibble to mine. But on one of the original points, I also wouldn't tolerate fussiness. If one of mine refused to eat their breakfast kibble for no real reason, I wouldn't allow them to get away with choosing to eat just the chicken wings etc they get because they prefer them. In the same way that I wouldn't allow a child to skip their main course (which may or may not be nutritionally dense) and go straight to dessert.

Luckily, I don't think it's something I'll ever have to contend with. Mine, to date, have inhaled everything that has been put in front of them.

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=8829.msg125662#msg125662 date=1416577023]
    It's not a question of right or wrong - it's just a discussion, on the Internet - no-one has to "win". ::) :)
    [/quote]

I hope you don't think I was trying to "win" - I like a good discussion, me, and I think Julie and I are actually in the same ballpark with our viewpoints here, so it would be very daft to end up in an argument :)

7. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

We feed just kibble, saying that I have developed a zest for baking dog biscuits and dog cake. I love scouring for new recipes or ingredients, mulling over flavours and mixing up recipes, the dogs love my baking, however they would probably be equally happy if I just stuck a tin of chappie in the oven! ;D ;D My family find it a bit odd, no one touches anything I bake...usually shudder at the suggestion my baking.... :-\ My latest recipe is liver and honey bakes with chickpea flour :) :)

8. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Going back to the original point of adding things to kibble I definitely wouldn't because I did and learnt the hard way. ::)

My old lab was a fussy eater. Once he was fully grown on adult food he would happily leave his kibble. With hindsight I was probably over feeding although he never put weight on, he was very active. I (stupidly) would worry he wasn't eating so fell into the trap of adding roast beef,chicken, sausage whatever we had.

He developed colitis when he was three and had regular bouts of it for most of his life. There was a good chance, according to the vet, it was caused by diet and probably something I added possibly beef. As he got older he got worse until he couldn't eat any natural protein not even chicken. I put him on royal canin sensitivity kibble, which was made with fish then, it's now duck, and stopped adding extras. He didn't have an upset tummy for the last four years of his life. So wish I'd done it sooner. ::)

I've certainly learnt from my mistake. I don't think dogs see boring brown kibble it's just foodago them but if a dog works out by waiting it can get tasty chicken ontop of its kibble well they're not daft ::)

9. snowbunny

[quote author=Beanwood link=topic=8829.msg125674#msg125674 date=1416579729]
    My latest recipe is liver and honey bakes with chickpea flour :) :)
    [/quote]

Liver and honey? Mmmmm... :eek:

The great thing about baking for labradors is you really don't have to worry what goes in. They'll eat it anyway. Although my concoction yesterday was tame - just banana, natural PB, flour, oats and milk. No weighing of anything, just mix until it looks right, bung it in the oven and when it looks done, chop it up into small bits. It was actually pretty tasty.

Don't think I'd be tasting yours though, no offence ;)

The sight of pureed liver makes me want to bork.

10. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=snowbunny link=topic=8829.msg125673#msg125673 date=1416579555]
    I hope you don't think I was trying to "win" - I like a good discussion, me, and I think Julie and I are actually in the same ballpark with our viewpoints here, so it would be very daft to end up in an argument :)
    [/quote]

No, my comment wasn't about you at all. :) If anything, and I'm not entirely sure it was even this, it was prompted by the exchange between myself and Julie.

11. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[/quote]

;D ;D ;D

I am rather envious of people who are organised enough to prepare their own dog treats. Charlie goes through so many bloomin' sea biscuits it's getting expensive! I'm sure I could whizz up tasty things more cheaply....if I ever got round to it... ::)

12. Beanwood

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=8829.msg125681#msg125681 date=1416580933]
    [/quote]

;D ;D ;D

I am rather envious of people who are organised enough to prepare their own dog treats. Charlie goes through so many bloomin' sea biscuits it's getting expensive! I'm sure I could whizz up tasty things more cheaply....if I ever got round to it... ::)
    [/quote]

Honestly Julie you don't need to be organised :) I had never used a food processor until I started baking for the dogs..I just put everything in...turn one button, watch it all whizz around for a few seconds, then as if by a miracle 20 mins later it comes out of the oven and the dogs LOVE it! ;D I am not sure Mr Beanwood appreciates raw liver in his beloved food processor though... 8)

Maybe you could bake a sardine cake for Charlie :) :)

13. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

yes, really must get round to it... :)

14. Beanwood

15. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

mmm....

Option one
    Make list
    Go to the shop, buy stuff
    Unpack stuff, get food processor out
    Find out I don't have a rolling pin
    Got to shop, buy rolling pin...
    Have a cup of tea because it's all taken 2 hours so far...
    Mix stuff, roll out..blah blah
    Have to wash up magimix - nightmare - because it doesn't go in dishwasher...

Option 2
    Click "repeat order" on fish4 dogs....

You see, you are a good person if you choose option 1, I know that...

16. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=8829.msg125710#msg125710 date=1416585961]
    mmm....

Option one
    Make list

Option 2

[/quote]

;D ;D ;D

17. Julie1962

I wasn't actually trying to argue with anyone, I was just giving my opinion and view of food.

18. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

NO ONE IS ARGUING! OK!

(This is a joke, for the avoidance of doubt ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D)

19. Julie1962

;D ;D ;D ;D

20. snowbunny

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=8829.msg125710#msg125710 date=1416585961]
    mmm....

Option one
    Make list

Option 2

[/quote]

Rolling pin? Magimix?

Put stuff in bowl. Mix with fork. Pour onto parchment paper. Squish into shape with fork. Put stuff in dishwasher.

If it's liver (bork), I use a stick blender. Goes in dishwasher.

Come join us virtuous people ;)