Adolescent Marking - won't toilet in garden

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by LauraC25, Oct 19, 2022.

1. LauraC25

LauraC25 Registered Users

Hello - our male labrador has just turned one. Obviously over the past 3 months his marking has stepped up a level and we noticed he started to not go to the toilet in the garden all the time, but didn't really worry about it. However now the behaviour is at a point where he refuses to go at all - he holds out until he goes for a walk so he can leave his scent everywhere out and about.

He was taught right from the start that he has a designated toilet spot, and he has consistently used it up to this point with a cue word and treats, to the point he would squeeze a drip out if taken. I do not believe he doesn't understand what we are asking.

I decided to try and tackle this the other day as I believed the spot was associated with a walk, as normally I go out 2/3 x a day with him and we always go to the spot first. Therefore I thought by trying to reinforce toileting in the spot would encourage this behaviour. I spent 2 days trying to tackle this by taking him to his spot every hour and saying the cue word - not allowing play or any other attention. If he didn't go after 2-5 mins straight back into the house. If he went, big party, treats, play and straight out on a walk. I figured he would be desperate enough to go at some point.

Day 1 - he had toileted around 5 pm on a walk the day before, and he held out until around 4pm the day after. He then went again around 8:30pm.
    Day 2 - he held out - to the point at 7:30pm I really worried about his health if he held it in overnight and gave in and took him out. He promptly emptied his bladder on our neighbour's post and throughout our walk!

I am not really sure what to do. He got water with his meals so he had plenty to drink, so he would've needed to go, I moved a small tree in the spot to give him something to go on (even though he does have a tree trunk, old leaves and a fence to pee on in the spot), and I don't really know anyone with a dog that could come and scent that area. We need to know he will go in the garden so when we go out, or for some reason we cannot walk him, we know he will relieve himself.

He is not currently castrated - I know this may lessen his determination to mark everywhere. We are reluctant to do so until he's 2. His behaviour other than this is generally okay (apart from the obvious labrador need to destroy every toy!).