Advice needed...help!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Golden Ted, Dec 19, 2019.

1. Golden Ted

Golden Ted Registered Users

Ted will be 6 months next week and the jumping and nipping is escalating to the point where I'm a bit scared of him.

Today he has jumped and nipped me on walk, and just seems frustrated....lying down, ripping up grass, won't walk. Obviously I cut the walk short and came home.

I later did a bit of training in kitchen, sit, stay, find it etc using treats and then he started jumping, nipping, nipps my legs too like he's bullying me for more treats. I left the room and he settles himself.

I feel tense when I'm around him because I never know if he's going to leap at me teeth first and it's like he's picking up on that.

Do just ignore this behaviour? Are the treats making it worse?

Help!!!!

2. J.D

J.D Registered Users

Is he getting enough exercise?
    I believe 6 months is around 2x30 mins a day.
    He may have excess energy to burn. If you take him somewhere you can let him off on a training line, when he stops to rip up grass keep moving yourself and call him to you with a treat. Most dogs won’t want to be left behind.

3. Golden Ted

Thanks for the reply. Looking back on how yesterday played out, I think it was the opposite...he was tired. It was like everything was just too much but settled to sleep whenever he was left alone. He was flat out at 6pm and still out for the count at 6.30am this morning.

These pups like to keep you guessing don't they!

4. Jo Laurens

Jo Laurens Registered Users

Yes, too much exercise can have the same effect as too little.

However, if you do get this kind of behaviour happening and you want to stop it right in that moment, the best thing is to play Find It: Take some treats and sprinkle several on the floor, saying 'Find It' as you do. Keep adding individual treats whilst he is sniffing for those you just threw. Try to add the additional treats where he's not looking - so on the other side of his body, so he doesn't see them coming from you and it is as if the floor is just producing them.

You might also want to look into doing some scentwork/nosework training with him, since this is a type of training which is deeply relaxing, tiring and focussing at the same time and will really help... Whereabouts are you based, are you in the UK?

5. Golden Ted

Hi Jo,

Thank you for your reply and advice. I'm in Lancashire, UK.
    I have noticed that if I can catch him just before he starts this behaviour and toss a few treats on the floor it can give him long enough to snap out of it. I will look into more scent work.
    I've been doing a bit of research, (probably not from the best places) and I believe it's called "arousal biting" that stems from over excitement, frustration etc.
    I've been trying to find triggers for this behaviour and it can be if he doesn't want to walk the way I'm going, or if I say "leave it" etc.
    In the last day or so I've also tried to stand still, fold my arms and ignore (which is hard when his teeth catch my arms /clothing) and wait it out then move on when he relaxes.
    He is still quite mouthy in general which is getting me down and trying to get everyone to ignore and leave the room/stop all interaction is proving difficult.

Thanks again,
    Emily.

6. Jo Laurens

Jo Laurens Registered Users

I think it sounds like he needs a job to do and to focus his mind on, whilst you're out and about. Why not see if there are any Gundog Club gundog trainers near you? They are force-free and he can't be mouthing you if he has a dummy in his mouth... thegundogclub.co.uk

pippa@labforumHQ likes this.