Advice on a 14 week puppy

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by GrahamR, Nov 6, 2022.

1. GrahamR

GrahamR Registered Users

Hi, we have a 14 week old black labrador puppy called Milo. We are finding that he is pulling alot on the lead, especially when walking on pavements. We are using a collar and lead just to help manage him not picking items of the floor which is proving difficult. Does anyone have a tips or is normal for this age? He his also starting to counter surt and trying to get on the furniture but we are using the off command and getting to sit on his mat before treating him so hopefully this works - If anyone has a better approach, please share.

I am suffering with puppy blues, as feel that I am not training him right so I am putting alot of pressure on myself. It can be bad at times so any tips on how to control would be appreciated.

Regards,
    Graham

2. Katrin

Katrin Registered Users

hi Graham, sorry to hear you have the puppy blues. Totally normal. From reading your post I am pretty sure you are doing a great job.

walling nicely on loose lead is a big skill to learn, past all these exciting smells, other people/ dogs/bins etc....v hard if not impossible.

At 14 weeks it's all about just experiencing the surroundings, getting comfortable with noise, temperature changes, sights, smells etc. give it time.

the loose lead walking will come. Build on engagement so the puppy looks up to you and is working for your attention above all the distractions. Painfully slow but if you get ten steps right, then build another 2 it just takes time. Every time puppy is by your side, not pulling just walking nicely say a marker word like "yes" and give a piece of kibble straight away. She will keep doing it to earn her reward. Don't yank the lead if she is where you want her to be, treat. Try and practise in your garden or a space with very few distractions then gradually work on exposing her to more. Low expectations, lots if little 5 mins sessions, patience and it will pay off.

and give yourself a break. It's early days yet. Build trust and engagement with puppy first.

the very best of luck.

CeeCee likes this.
  3. CeeCee

CeeCee Registered Users

You're doing just fine, Graham. My four year old Lab was exactly the same on the lead at that age. Just be consistent, patient and don't loose heart. They do eventually settle down. Katrin's advice is spot on. I also made my girl sit if she started to pull. Changing direction often helps also. Dont get frustrated and try to remain calm. Milo is still very much a baby and consistent, gentle correction works wonders in the long run. I know it seems like this stage will never end, but believe me it does.

4. GrahamR

GrahamR Registered Users

Thank you both for the comments. Definitely will try more training at home for heel & engagement will Milo, as maybe expecting too much outside. We have been using treats with Milo's training but sometimes he goes mad for & gets your fingers. We have been going to puppy training at least once week which should help in the long run.

Got any tips or advice on what to expect over the coming months? We use a crate & was thinking of starting to leave him alone sometimes for short periods.

I am hoping it does get easier when he is older, as never felt like this before and it is messing with my emotions.

5. Katrin

Katrin Registered Users

Hi Graham,

just had a puppy here with us for the last three weeks (fostering as part of a guide dog training programme), so still very fresh in my mind.

14 weeks, nippy, curious, into everything, but needing a break. I love the crates for pups, not as punishment but just as it's time to get some snoozes. Stuffed kongs, lickimats, pop one in with him and leave him alone in the crate for a bit and then longer. Sure you need time away too, so just get him used to it slowly. Maybe leave the radio on and don't fuss just leave for a while.

training and treats: if you weigh out his dry food, split it into 5/6 portions, feed three times and have spare kibble for training. I'd only use a special treat that's different from kibble if I'd ask him to do sth new or really needed his attention. At 14/ 16 weeks small bits of apple, carrots, blueberries make for low calorie yet tasty treat.

It can feel relentless that the puppy is looking for you and entertainment all the time, teaching him to safely entertain himself with his toys and be content is really important.

Google #100daysofenrichment anied and it throws up 100 days worth of training ideas and games with him.

just enjoy him, Graham, the puppyness goes so fast.

on the main Labrador site is a tab for what to expect at different ages, just search for the age and there's more info.

enjoy!

CeeCee likes this.
  6. CeeCee

CeeCee Registered Users

Also with the 'over excited, getting fingers with treats', I always offer treats from the palm of my hand (like you would a horse) No more nips.

7. GrahamR

GrahamR Registered Users

Thank you both for the advise. It has really helped. We took a big step today, as we all went out for a couple of hours and left Milo at home sleeping.

Will continue with short training sessions at home and hopefully it will help when we are outside. Tried some recall at a park yesterday which didn't go to plan - we know not to do that again.

What are views on the type of lead to use. Was thinking of a slip lead?

Graham

8. Katrin

Katrin Registered Users

Hi Graham,

Sounds like a great few days.

Please try and use a harness and no slip leads. Slip leads hurt and break the trust that you want Milo to have in you. There is a good article on the main Labrador site about collars & harnesses.

More importantly there's also information about why punishment, scolding n punitive measures like shock collars and slip leads don't work. Last thing you want is for Milo to get fearful or intimidated. Positive reward based training all the way

Good luck!

9. GrahamR

GrahamR Registered Users

Thank you Katrin, will check that article. As Milo is only 4 months, we are finding he is pulling but also his head is down alot so can be hard to stop him picking things up.

We are also considering where in the house is best for his crate/bed. It is currently in our extension (kitchen/dining area which is near the lounge) so is in the main area of the house. We spend alot of time in this area and are always going in & out so might be too busy for Milo to settle. Any thoughts on this?