Advice on Studding

Discussion in 'Labrador Breeding & Genetics' started by Michaila (for Simba), Apr 3, 2020.

1. Michaila (for Simba)

Michaila (for Simba) Registered Users

I have an almost 2 year old male Lab that I'm interested (but don't know anything about) possibly studding. Has anyone done this before and and understands the process? Anyone know how to find the owner of a female to breed with?

2. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

What tests has he'd had done? Hip elbows? Eyes? There are a battery of tests he will need. Most dogs used for breeding have some achievements in showing or trialing merits in order to make them attractive as a stud. A pretty face just doesn't cut it if you breeding your bitches you want to add something to your line physically and mentally. You need the dog to compliment your bitch. It can also alter your relationship with your dog and in the way they behave. It's not something's I would do with my boys. I would speak to a breeder who owns studs they could give you a better idea.

3. J.D

J.D Registered Users

Any reputable breeder would not consider your dog unless he was fully health tested which takes time and money. Even then they would probably be looking for a dog that has proven itself either in the field or as a show dog or certainly have many generations of pedigree that have been champions. You may we’ll find someone with a bitch who would like a litter that also isn’t health tested but would you want to risk a generation of puppies with severe joint/eye problems. The COI also needs to be taken into consideration.

Edp and SwampDonkey like this.