Advice on what to get?

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Haleyds, May 17, 2016.

1. Haleyds

Haleyds Registered Users

Hey everyone! I'm new to the site, mainly because I didn't know it existed haha. I'm the owner of an English style black lab, her name is Lil'n (was supposed to be Lillian) and she's about 4 and a half years old. She was a rescue from a bad breeding operation where she was very malnourished, so she is a bit small for an English.
    Anyway, my predicament is that in the next couple of years I will be looking into getting a boy lab. But I'm extremely picky!
    I want a chocolate boy, and I'm not too keen on the English style of "barrel on legs"- no offense to those who love it, it's just not my taste. But I do want a big dog, I want a tall lab with the big beautiful head but the slim figure. I live in North Carolina, and every breeder I've looked into either breeds all English bloodlines or their labs are generally small.
    If anyone could offer me advice on where to look for this certain physique it would be greatly appreciated!

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Hello and welcome to the forum from me and my two Labs, Willow and Shadow. We live in Andorra.

As much as many Labradors are, as you describe, "barrels on legs", this is pretty much entirely down to overfeeding. A Labrador of any type should have a good waist and a nice tuck-up, so they look slim. We have many chocolates on the forum who look just as I've described. So it's mostly down to how you feed your dog, and what exercise you give him. However, of course there are genetic traits that you may prefer, such as the longer legs, and that's where you just have to look at the parents of the puppies and take a bit of a gamble. If both parents have blocky heads, and if both parents have longer legs, then you're more likely to have a puppy with both of these things genetically coded. Maybe a couple of owners of chocolates would post up pictures of theirs to show that they can be slim but with the chunkier heads? It's a shame @JulieT isn't around at the moment, because her Charlie is a prime example, although you may not think his legs are long enough if you're after a particularly leggy look - still, it would give you an idea of the body that can be achieved through diet and exercise.

3. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Hi and welcome to the forum. I'm not sure where you should look for the type of dog you are hoping for, it's all down to researching breeders and asking questions of those breeders. I'm not sure what you mean by a 'big dog, a tall lab with a big head and slim figure' but the American breed standard describes a Labrador as:-

"Official Standard for the Labrador Retriever General Appearance: The Labrador Retriever is a strongly built, medium-sized, short-coupled, dog possessing a sound, athletic, well-balanced conformation that enables it to function as a retrieving gun dog; the substance and soundness to hunt waterfowl or upland game for long hours under difficult conditions; the character and quality to win in the show ring; and the temperament to be a family companion. Physical features and mental characteristics should denote a dog bred to perform as an efficient Retriever of game with a stable temperament suitable for a variety of pursuits beyond the hunting environment. The most distinguishing characteristics of the Labrador Retriever are its short, dense, weather resistant coat; an "otter" tail; a clean-cut head with broad back skull and moderate stop; powerful jaws; and its "kind," friendly eyes, expressing character, intelligence and good temperament. Above all, a Labrador Retriever must be well balanced, enabling it to move in the show ring or work in the field with little or no effort. The typical Labrador possesses style and quality without over refinement, and substance without lumber or cloddiness. The Labrador is bred primarily as a working gun dog; structure and soundness are of great importance. Size, Proportion and Substance: Size-The height at the withers for a dog is 22½ to 24½ inches; for a bitch is 21½ to 23½ inches. Any variance greater than ½ inch above or below these heights is a disqualification. Approximate weight of dogs and bitches in working condition: dogs 65 to 80 pounds; bitches 55 to 70 pounds. The minimum height ranges set forth in the paragraph above shall not apply to dogs or bitches under twelve months of age."

I have a chocolate girl, who is nearly 2 years old now, and she is probably what you call "English style" and comes in at around the 23" at the withers and around 56lbs. I don't think you could describe her as being a "barrel on legs". I think what you are seeing is the type of dogs being bred to fill a demand for big, chunky dogs from people who think Labradors should be big and chunky.

Good luck with your search Juno3 150316.jpg

Naya and kateincornwall like this.
  4. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

I'm going to assume what you mean by "English" is a show aka bench bred Lab as opposed to what some call "American" or field bred. In the UK I think what we call "field bred" they call "working." Search out the Labrador Retrievers Owners Club for your area and the field trial clubs for breeders. The field bred dog probably will not be to standard and can vary widely in appearance, some are much bigger than standard, some are smaller. Of course both types of breeders should do all health clearances and show, trial or somehow work to better the breed is good too.

When we first searched my OH was still hunting and we were warned off field breeders by hunting friends who found them too "hot" for mostly pet life with the odd day out hunting. But within each litter there will be varying temperaments and a good breeder should be able to place the puppy best suited to your lifestyle and experience with you.

My boy is from bench lines, a breeder of more moderate Labs, not the big chunky ones but she does have some impressive winnings. He is 23 inches at his withers and about 74 lbs in the avatar. He is certainly not a "barrel on wheels" but I know what you mean.

5. Haleyds

Haleyds Registered Users

Thanks everyone for your help! I suppose my description is hard to explain, but I've always seen three distinct Labradors throughout my life, the show or English as stated above, the smaller American style and then I see the larger version of the American, which is what I'm looking for. I realize now this will be more to do with genetics rather than where I get him or a certain "title".
    My girl is from English bloodlines, we only know this because her parents had paperwork when they were seized, and is medium sized with a very broad and round mid section, but she's by no means fat. She's had health problems her whole life from her poor beginnings and this time around I want a healthy dog more than anything, but looks don't hurt :)
    Thanks again!

6. Haleyds

Haleyds Registered Users

Thanks everyone for your help! I suppose my description is hard to explain, but I've always seen three distinct Labradors throughout my life, the show or English as stated above, the smaller American style and then I see the larger version of the American, which is what I'm looking for. I realize now this will be more to do with genetics rather than where I get him or a certain "title".
    My girl is from English bloodlines, we only know this because her parents had paperwork when they were seized, and is medium sized with a very broad and round mid section, but she's by no means fat. She's had health problems her whole life from her poor beginnings and this time around I want a healthy dog more than anything, but looks don't hurt :)
    Thanks again!

7. Haleyds

Haleyds Registered Users

Your girl is beautiful! I love her size actually, here is a picture of what I don't want actually, and what the breeders around here call "English style".

[​IMG]
    This is what I don't want, whatever it may be called. But as stated above, proper diet and exercise will prevent this, because I really love his face.

8. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

WIN_20160421_140618 (2).JPG Mont Cerisy 0915.jpg Definitely 'chunkier' than how we would want our dogs to look. A lovely face spoilt by being overweight. After posting above I realised that you couldn't rely see Juno's head/face, so @Haleyds just for you :D

Haleyds likes this.
  9. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

Our newest pup Cooper sounds similar to what you are looking for. At 12 months she is 24" at the shoulder, and weighs a bit over 80#. There are certain disadvantages to tall dogs, one of which is that just walking around, she can see over the kitchen table:). She came from a kennel in Eastern Oregon called Country Fowl Retrievers. Most of the breeders out here seem to breed Field Style dogs, and they vary quite a bit in height. If you go on their website you can see pictures of Bailey 70# and Nudge 80# Both are on the tall, more lanky type. I would look for breeders close to you that advertise dogs from Hunting or Field Trial Lines. Look at the pictures of the sire and dam, and talk to the breeders.

You are probably aware aware that the American Lab Standard is 1" taller than the rest of the world already. Both minimum and maximum heights for male or female. I think it is a good direction, but a lot of people here would disagree. IMG_3080.JPG IMG_3083.JPG

In the picture above, Cooper is on the left. Her back legs are longer than her front, which would be a fault in the show ring. She is not as much of a block head as Tilly but definitely has a Lab head.

Haleyds likes this.
  10. Haleyds

Haleyds Registered Users

She is exactly what I want, face and all. There was a neighborhood lab back when I was a little girl who looked like this and ever since I've had a love for it, and to me it's the ideal.
    Thanks so much for your advice, I'm close to the Virginia line and I know there's a lot more hunting lines there than here. In North Carolina everyone is about the shows :)

11. Haleyds

Haleyds Registered Users

Her face is SO beautiful!! She's perfect!

12. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

I'm hoping her slightly forward facing ears will make her less inclined to get ear infections. Tilly is a dedicated water dog, and her ears tend to get yeast infections. I hope with a little more air circulation Cooper will have less problems. All of our Labs have been great dogs, all with slightly different builds and personalities, but all definitely Labs with Lab temperament. I think Cooper may be the best one yet.

Where are you in NC? I have cousins in Durham and Raleigh. I Grew up in East Tennessee and went to Duke.

Last edited: May 18, 2016