Advice please

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by jan67, Sep 6, 2017.

1. jan67

jan67 Registered Users

Hello. Please can I ask at what age does a Labrador stop being a puppy and classed as an adult dog? I'm wondering if I'm giving her the right food for her age. She's just gone one. Also what is a good food for labs? She just doesn't want her food! I've slowly introduced a new food and she has terrible wind with it. Thanks

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

I changed Sam from puppy food to junior at around 6/8 months and then to adult at about a year old . Changing brands can be a minefield , there are so many these days , all claiming to be the best ! Go onto one of the dog food comparison sites , and plump for one with a good rating, with proper meat or fish ingredients and not loads of fillers . I would always say to opt for the best you can afford to feed , I feed Sam on Skinners duck and rice, it suits him and my pocket , but honestly , there are so many, its mind boggling !

jan67 likes this.
  3. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

Usually the bag of puppy food will give a recommendation of when to change to adult food. Our large breed puppy food recommended switching to adult food at approx 18 months. We switched over gradually a bit sooner to adult food, I think around 15 months.

jan67 likes this.
  4. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

I think we switched Cooper at about 12 months. She had pretty much quit growing, and it made is simpler to only have one kind of dog food (for a while until Tilly starts on Senior)

5. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

Many puppy foods are to 12 months of age but you do need to check with your manufacturer as they do vary.
    As @kateincornwall says the 'best' dog food is very subjective so it's best to use one of the websites to compare foods and make your choice. If there is an adult version of the puppy food many owners just switch to that.