Advice pretty please?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Chococheer, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Chococheer

Chococheer Registered Users

I'm not quite sure if it's advice or a little reassurance I'm looking for, but I'd be grateful for any replies, information, or stories of your own you'd like to share.

Merlin is my third Lab - he's 18 weeks old and seems to have a bit of a sensitive stomach. My previous two (from what I can recall) didn't seem to have this problem as puppies.

The first incident (vomiting until he was dry retching) resulted in an immediate vet visit. He was given an IV anti-nausea, antibiotics, and instructions to feed him only steamed chicken for the next week. This I did and he was fine.

More recently he developed runny poos (not quite diarrhoea) and vomited once - I immediately put him back on steamed chicken for a week and no further problems occurred - he was happy, bouncy, and eating the chicken happily so I didn't take him to the vet.

I then put him back on his normal diet...and he's been fine...for about a week and until last night. Again, he's been happy and bouncy and eating normally, and then he had a big vomit last night at bed time (approx. 10pm). I cleaned up the vomit quickly (before he could re-eat it) and he seemed okay - we went to sleep. His poos are still fine (not runny). Today he's been great - I gave him his normal breakfast and took him for a walk, and he's eating and drinking well...so I haven't put him back on the chicken as yet (as it looks as though it was just a one-off).

In any case, does anyone else have a puppy and experience similar? If so, do you have any suggestions? Will he grow out of it?

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions offered :)

2. Johnny Walker

Johnny Walker Registered Users

Have you examined his excrement ? Sometimes what we feed them isn't the only thing going in their bodies. At that age he is still testing the world by tasteing it. I'm by no means an expert or a veterinarian but i do know most puppies eat everything. I've also had a rescue who only ate kibble and had a lot of digestive issues. im curious if there is something he's getting into without you knowing. I don't make a big deal out of them putting things in their mouth cause that way I can approach them and see whst it is without it being an ordeal or them running away and swallowing it. I sometimes wonder how we survived the first 6 months without major surgery.

3. Johnny Walker

Johnny Walker Registered Users

Ps. I also clean up before a re-eat but I always re-feed as well. If not you'll get a bike vomit around 5am on your new carpet.

4. Chococheer

Chococheer Registered Users

Thanks for your reply, Johnny Walker - he chews (and probably swallows) bark chips fairly often - but his poo seems pretty normal - there's nothing weird or unexpected in there.

5. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Tatze vomits in the night from time to time - always when she's eaten something she shouldn't. It irritates the lining of the stomach then comes up. She's something of an eater of anything is Tatze, she does it very quietly when I'm distracted :rolleyes:

Regarding re-eating I take out the thing she's swallowed then let her re-eat the rest.

I think the bark chips are your answer.