Afraid to leave puppy Alone

Discussion in 'Introductions & Saying Hello' started by Joy Boyce, Nov 27, 2019.

1. Joy Boyce

Joy Boyce Registered Users

Hello everyone. I now have a 13 month old puppy and I am so worried about leaving him alone in the house for any period of time. I have managed to block him in the kitchen for short periods, not more than a couple of hours. My spouse thinks I am being over protective and that I shouldn't confine him if I need to go and do groceries etc. I've read they get bored and get into things. What does everyone else do?

Thanks so much.

Joy

2. Christina2807

Christina2807 Registered Users

Hi Joy, you would be best posting this in the puppy section of the forum as more people will see it.

Our puppy is 5 1/2 months and hasn't been on her own yet as we haven't needed to. But they do get bored and if you don't restrict them then they can cause havoc if they aren't used to it

3. Ruth Buckley

Ruth Buckley Registered Users

Mine just sleeps when I leave him on his own. We built up slowly, he's never alone for more than 6 hours and he's always well exercised before he's left. A few of my friends have cameras for reassurance, might be an idea if you're worried. I don't like crates but we do restrict him to the kitchen and minimise temptations (no food or socks left out).

4. Ruth Buckley

Ruth Buckley Registered Users

Also at 13 months he's not really a puppy any more. Well past teething at least. Have you just rehomed him? He might be quite unsettled for a few weeks/ months depending on background. I'd see how he goes, do a few ' fake ' going outs and see how he responds.

5. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Hi Joy, it's important for all dogs to learn to be alone for short periods of time. And it's never a bad idea to keep a dog that is still liable to chew (ie labradors under the age of two) , in the kitchen when you go out, rather than giving them the whole run of the house. Is this young dog new to you or have you had him since he was little?

6. Saffy/isla

Saffy/isla Registered Users

Hi joy, I still confine my 22 month old lab to just the hall when I go out. I certainty wouldn't trust her with the run off the house yet!

We built up slowly to leaving her over many months and can now leave her for up to 4 hours. I always take her for a good walk before and leave her with a frozen Kong to keep her busy.

7. J.D

J.D Registered Users

Toby is now just 2 and I still leave him in the kitchen/diner when I go out(usually 6-7 hours a day in 2-3 hour intervals) However I had to build up to that as he would bark when I left him. He would probably be fine in the rest of the house as he has never been a chewer but I feel he is happier with boundaries a bit like being in a crate in the early days. We have a stair gate over the kitchen door so it feels less hemmed in and I get a great greeting every time I come home without being bowled over on the doorstep.
    My previous lab used to lay at the top of the stairs looking out of the landing window but I feel Toby would find too much to bark at at the moment and be more stressed than tucked up in his bed in the kitchen.