Age to allow dog in bed

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by IreneM, Dec 3, 2016.

1. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I brought a king size bed to accommodate Harley :D. She's 27.5kg and a double just didn't quite give us enough room

Dexter, Pilatelover and Kelsey&Axel like this.
  2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

2 humans and 2 Labradors can fit quite comfortably on a king sized bed. Betsy is a titch, so that helps. Charlie takes up a lot more room!

Dexter likes this.
  3. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

We only have a double bed.
    A king-size duvet though.
    Neither the humans in the house are *ahem* slim, shall we say.
    25kg Lilly fits nicely alongside feet/legs most of the time.
    Rose tinted specs?

Dexter likes this.
  4. Emily

Emily Registered Users

You my friend, are nuts :p

Don't worry though, people think we're a bit nuts too. We have never allowed our son to sleep in the bed with us but Ella is always welcome :D

That's what I think we need to do. The space in the bed isn't too much of an issue but Ella is a mega doona stealer :eek:

5. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Never - meanies here, no dogs in bedrooms :)

Jyssica likes this.
  6. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

2 adults and a 30.5kg 60cm dog do not really fit on a double bed (king size duvet). We muddle through somehow.

drjs@5 and DebzC like this.
  7. Jyssica

Jyssica Registered Users

Id love to have Rolo in our bed, We have a superking - So he would fit with loads to spare.... OH wont allow it though....Meanie!!!!!!!

He isnt allowed in the bedrooms and he sometimes finds a nice spot to lay on the big stair halfway up the staircase, Im debating decrating and allowing him to sleep there....

8. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Two humans and two Labs in a double bed with a king duvet... kinda squished. To be honest, I don't think it's anything to do with the number of dogs, it's about your particular dog(s). I could have ten Willows and it not be a problem. One Shadow, though. Yeah, he likes to push us out of bed. When J was in Andorra and I was in Spain, he actually pushed me out the side of the bed, so I walked round and got back in the other side. He's such a wriggler!
    Bring on number three! :eek:

drjs@5 likes this.
  9. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

You've just got to put in bed training time! Like cuddle time, how to jump on humans to lick ears without hurting them and all the other bits of critical training.

My dogs are perfectly trained in bed manners - Charlie was very quick to train, it took Betsy a couple of weeks. They don't fuss, don't move around, don't make any noise, don't get up too early, and are no trouble at all.

Betsy gets up before Charlie, but that's only because she's a baby and needs to go out for a wee and a poo first thing. While one human takes Betsy, Charlie uncurls himself and stretches out on his back for his morning tummy rub. Then he turns over, stretches all the way out for his morning back massage, doing his pod of whales sound effects of moaning, groaning, yawning, honking etc. then he's ready for the day. :) Apart from this, he doesn't move all night.

Beckyt6, samandmole and snowbunny like this.
  10. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

Couldn't resist posting this again. As you can see, my dogs were perfectly trained to curl up discretely at the foot of the bed, thus taking up as little space as possible. :$

Screenshot 2016-10-01 21.41.56.png

11. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

I'd love Stanley in the bed. OH says not a chance in hell.

I sometimes "sneak" him up when OH is on nights. But white sheets, white duvet and a black dog give the game away very quick :D

Xena Dog Princess, drjs@5 and Jyssica like this.
  12. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

This sounds like a great excuse to spend all day in bed ;)

Rosie likes this.
  13. DebzC

DebzC Registered Users

The cat gets shut out too! The OH will be soon if he keeps up the 3am toilet trip.:cwl:

Jyssica likes this.
  14. babs75

babs75 Registered Users

Libby does that, too! She gets a morning tummy rub every day!

Emily_BabbelHund likes this.
  15. Kelsey&Axel

Kelsey&Axel Registered Users

King size bed will definitely be our next purchase for our house:D Until then I think banishing Axel to the floor will be our next step. He's 41.5kg and he's tall and his sleep etiquette isn't up to par:rolleyes:

Naya likes this.
  16. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

We would like to do a King, but it would mean a major re-adjustment of the furniture. Probably would sleep better though.

17. Teller's mom

Teller's mom Registered Users

Teller was a year old when he came home with me and has shared my bed ever since. He has his own bed at the foot of mine and sometimes he will sleep on it if it's too warm or if his feelings are hurt over me chastising him for lying across the length of the bed. He isn't allowed on any of the other furniture, though, because he's simply too large. I have a queen-size bed and it's the perfect size for him and me together, although if there were another adult sleeping in the bed, we'd probably have to opt for a king-size. T has pretty good bed manners and stays confined to his own side, although he does love to cuddle and spoon with me.

His brother, who's a 5-month-old Pointer, has slept in my ex-boyfriend's bed since he came home from the breeder's at 8 weeks. My ex said he slept through the night that way and didn't have any accidents. When I had both boys over at my place for a sleepover, they each slept in the bed without incident. I think it depends on the pup but in the case of Rigby it helped him settle down and get comfortable at night. Although you do have to be careful, especially if you have a bed that is high off the ground because they can fall off and injure themselves. I would say the best time would be when they are sleeping through the night, housebroken, and large enough that a tumble off the bed wouldn't be as dangerous.

Emily_BabbelHund and PawPrints like this.
  18. Samantha Jones

Samantha Jones Registered Users

Bailey started out in a crate by our bed, then a cushion bed by the side of our bed. OH said no dog on bed ever....fast forward to last night, 2am dog in between us, on his back, legs in air snoring away very happily...me on edge of bed, no duvet, freezing cold, OH on back snoring away quite happily :D, been the same for a couple of months now!! OH converted. Morning snuggles when my alarm goes off make up for waking up earlier freezing cold!

QuinnM15 likes this.
  19. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

Identical to our house - except it was me who said no dogs in bed ever! Changed my tune pretty quick!

Samantha Jones likes this.
  20. babs75

babs75 Registered Users

LOL... same here. Libby started in her crate but then when my husband would take her out in the middle of the night, she always ended up in our bed for the rest of the night. Now housebroken, can let herself out the dog door in the night if she needs to, sleeps on our bed ..................