Aggression after attack

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Schmolz, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Schmolz

Schmolz Registered Users

Hi
    I'm only new to this site but I'm looking for some help with my lab.
    Okay so long story short is...
    A few months ago due to some issues with our neighbours we had to re-home our lab. Two weeks ago we got a call from his new owners saying their 5year old lab had attacked our boy and since then their 5year old couldn't stand him and they needed to re-home him after almost 3 months.
    Well I couldn't have him shipped off so we took him back.
    They didn't tell us the the whole extent of what had happened but our boy was bitten on the face, neck, ears and back pretty badly.
    He has settled back in fine and is back to normal but today we took him out and he was very aggressive towards other dogs. Before all this we had him at dog parks or the dog beach weekly as well as daily walks and have never ever had this issue. He was usually quiet a timid boy and super friendly towards all dogs.
    I understand it been traumatic for him but hoping we can resolve this and get our friendly boy back.
    If anyone has any tips on how to handle this and work with him it would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Hello and welcome to the forum. I'm sure what you're experiencing is fear aggression - the attack has made him understandably afraid of other dogs and so he will bark, growl and snap at them to make them stay away. To be honest, sorting out this sort of issue can be a very long road, and it's impossible to give advice over an internet forum, other than, you will need to employ the services of a force-free behaviourist, who will help you come up with a long-term plan to help your boy overcome his fear. Please ensure that you go with someone who uses entirely positive methods and works on addressing the root of your dog's fear, rather than trying to shut down the symptoms of his fear.
    If you let us know where you are, someone may be able to recommend a behaviourist in your area.

SwampDonkey and Helen like this.
  3. AlphaDog

AlphaDog Registered Users

No behaviorist will ever affect or modify the imprint of this attack. I'd consider all options.

4. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Welcome to the forum from Hattie 9 years and rescue boy Charlie 6 years. What a journey you and your boy have been on and how sad for you all. As @snowbunny has advised seeking a good positive behaviourist to see your boy is the best first positive step. Lots of owners on the forum have, with a lot of hard work either overcome, reduced the incidence of this behaviour or learned how to manage it so that their dogs have the best possible life, so it's not impossible at all. Please let us know how you get on. xx

snowbunny and SwampDonkey like this.
  5. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

I absolutely agree with @charlie :). It never fails to amaze me how resilient our dogs can be, despite human neglect, difficult situations including being on the receiving end of aggression from dogs or humans, indeed I have one example snoring on the sofa beside me, you would never guess the sort of life he previously endured.

It does take time and a lot of patience, and I would in your case think it would be a good idea to get the help of a qualified canine clinical behaviourist.

Good luck, and I hope he settles down soon, at least he is safe back with you :)

snowbunny, charlie and SwampDonkey like this.
  6. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Yep as @Beanwood said, Charlie is snoring in the sunshine and he too has been on the receiving end of dog attacks, most probably human attacks too :( We are his forth home so we can only guess what he has been through. Charlie is by no means perfect but he's ours, we love him and would move heaven and earth to help/train him through is difficulties :) xx

SwampDonkey likes this.
  7. snowbunny

Wow, that's a bit defeatist! As plenty of owners of rescue dogs on this forum can attest to, dogs can overcome horrific abuses and live happy and full lives. And look at Jo-Rosie Haffenden whose Pit Bull, Archie, had his ears hacked off by a human, been burned and had his feet broken, yet still, somehow, managed to come through and trust (and love) humans again. If a dog can do that, then there's no reason this poor boy can't re-learn that not all dogs are to be feared. Patience, kindness and love can work wonders.

Edp, Naya, Carys and 3 others like this.
  8. charlie

charlie Registered Users

@snowbunny here, here :) You only have to watch any dog rescue TV shows to see the horror that some dogs endure at the hands of "humans" to see how forgiving they are, how they can, over time be rehabilitated to become wonderful family members. Overcoming dog fear with the relevant training and positive behaviours CAN be done. xx

Naya, SwampDonkey and snowbunny like this.
  9. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

This just isn't true, not for all dogs anyway ! I have rescued many times , my last rescue had also, we`re sure, been attacked, she was fearful and showed it in the only way that dogs can . Building trust that we will protect them takes time , we sometimes need help along the way but I`m sorry , you can teach an old dog new tricks with love and kindness . Good luck to you with your lad , ask for help and one day at a time x

Naya, selina27, snowbunny and 2 others like this.
  10. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

I think it takes a positive attitude from the carers and wanting to learn new things goes a long way with most problems. You had him back which shows how much you care. Ive learnt loads from this forum that's helped with Rorys problems as well as stuff the behaviourist taught me. you can change things it just takes time. Its more if an ongoing thing than a quick fix, I think the others have Said it more eloquently than could. Well done for helping him and good luck with him.

Naya, selina27, snowbunny and 2 others like this.
  11. SwampDonkey

I agree building trust and your dogs confidence is the way to go

selina27 and kateincornwall like this.
  12. Naya

Naya Registered Users

My girl has been attacked several times and became fear aggressive. It has been a long road, but we have made huge steps towards this stopping completely. It rarely happens now, and when it does Harley will stop and recall to me really quickly.
    Ive worked at making as many positive associations with other dogs as I could. I've spent a lot of time putting the lead on when we spot an unfamiliar dog, sitting and letting dogs go past whilst I reward her for concentrating on me, letting her get close to other dogs as long as she was happy to, but walking away the minute I spotted her body language changing.
    I don't agree that you can't change the impact of the attack. I have proven that you can.
    I don't understand what you mean by 'consider all options' @AlphaDog ?

charlie likes this.
  13. Lin

Lin Registered Users

Suggest you join Facebook group Reactive Dogs UK. Loads of really good information and wonderful admin to help you. Good luck.

SwampDonkey likes this.
  14. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

As a trainer/behaviourist I would ask what professional qualifications you have to make the statement and ask you to provide the scientific evidence to support your statement.
    Exactly what do you mean by 'I'd consider all options' as the most logical option is to consult a good positive reward based behaviourist to work and design a behavioural modification plan.

edzbird and SwampDonkey like this.
  15. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

@Schmolz please consult a good positive reward based behaviourust as soon as possible who can work with you and your boy and prepare a behaviour modification plan.

16. Schmolz

Schmolz Registered Users

Thank you everyone for all the replies, I really appreciate each of them :)

I have to seek a behaviourist to work with us on his barking so I will have to find someone that has knowledge on this issue too.
    I'm not sure where this forum is based but I'm from the Gold Coast Australia so if anyone has any recommendations that would be amazing.
    I'm upset that for two weeks after the attack they kept him there and tried to make the dogs get along, I'm sure that increased his anxiety a lot.
    Xx

17. SwampDonkey

I sure he feels much better now he's out of such a stressful situation and back home. I'm sorry I'm uk based

18. snowbunny

19. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

That is really and truly awful. From the injuries it sounds as if it was quite a sustained attack or several seperate attacks. In any event the first step should have been to keep the dogs apart :(. I'm sure that now your boy is home with you he will show improvement particularly with professional help. I'm sorry I can't help with behaviourists in Australia, @Oberon may be able to offer advice though.

20. Lin

Lin Registered Users

Sorry, just seen poster is in Australia so the group wouldn't be any good, it's only for UK.