Aggression/Anxiety? Chocolate Lab

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Isaac's_Mom, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Isaac's_Mom

Isaac's_Mom Registered Users

HELP! My lab has been mouthing/biting for awhile now my vet suggested taking him to see someone who deals with anxiety. Is this normal with puppies or he needs to see someone? He is 9 months old now. I just feel like it's another way to have these Vet's get paid. He will be fine for about an 1 hr then he turns into this aggressive dog. I have 2 kids at home and they get scared when he gets that way. Don't know what to do anyone have suggestions?

THANK YOUUUUUU

2. Jo Laurens

Jo Laurens Registered Users

I think we need more information about what he is actually doing when this happens. 'Mouthing' is a play activity - albeit sometimes inappropriate. Aggression is most definitely not a play activity. Just because both things involve the dog's mouth, doesn't mean they are at all similar in terms of how to approach them...

3. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

Hi @Isaac's_Mom

Could you also tell us what you have done to mitigate the mouthiness?

4. Isaac's_Mom

As an example, he is walking around just sniffing the floor or laying on the couch. He will then come towards me and start biting as if to get my attention. It's not really mouthing its full blown biting. I try to get him to sit and yell OUCH but none of those things work. He starts attacking me. His hairs go up, he snarls and his tail raises. I just don't know what to do but it comes out of nowhere. It's like a switch goes off inside him. I hope this kind of helps as an example.

5. Michael A Brooks

Hi @Isaac's_Mom

When your dog comes over and starts biting to get your attention, you respond by yelling ouch. Although I'd like to see the interaction, I think your dog thinks your response is part of a game.

Try instead the following. You are going to stop the game. Ouch is not working so stop saying it. In fact, don't say anything at all. Just calmly grab the dog by the house line he should have on when he is supervised inside the house. Make sure you grab the line very close close to his collar so that he can no longer bite you. Calmly walk the dog to his crate and close the door. Or put him in a spare room, say, the laundry where he cannot get into any mischief. Ten minutes of time out. Then he can come out. If the biting starts again. Then rinse and repeat. It might take some time for him to learn that biting results in a removal from the area. A removal of the privilege to be able to drop where he wants to. As such the time out is negative punishment.

Isaac's_Mom likes this.
  6. Jo Laurens

Jo Laurens Registered Users

Ok, so this is play. I know it might seem fierce and you might experience it as harmful to you, but it is still play - not aggression and not anxiety.

Sometimes some dogs get very over-excited and almost try to play with a person like they are an object like a tug toy. They don't feel like they've had enough play or attention, so it's almost like they try to 'take it' from you without your consent or compliance...

Usually food will take the dog out of this mood. I would recommend having some treats on your person at all times - on your desk. If your dog does this, put the treats on his nose and ask for a sit. Reinforce. Have a mini-training session of a few other behaviours, and reinforce each one. Then you will find the mood has passed for the dog.

But really you also need to be working out why the dog is doing this in the first place. The majority of dogs, if properly exercised physically and mentally, will just sleep in deep and peaceful sleep all day. As soon as there is any situation of this kind of behaviour, it tends to suggest dogs are under stimulated somehow, physically or mentally....

Isaac's_Mom likes this.
  7. Isaac's_Mom

I appreciate the help. I am going to try this!

8. Isaac's_Mom

Which one would you recommend me purchasing? I have never bought a house line.

9. Isaac's_Mom

I will try to do the mini sessions with him. The crazy part is I took a hike with him for 3 hours yesterday. I got back he slept in his crate for 1hr and got up starting the biting again. I'm not convinced it's the exercise.

10. Michael A Brooks