Aggression from neutered dogs to my intact 1 year old .... help!

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Sean Horstead, Jan 22, 2017.

1. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

Poor little Inky. Gorgeous boy :(

A few dogs go for Stanley and I get the “oh they don’t like black dogs”.

It always annoys me because that’s not mine or Stanleys problem. I’m sure it’s some form of Doggy racism or something! o_O

kateincornwall likes this.
  2. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

At the force free training class I went to there were 2 little dogs who used to bark and growl at Cassie across the room -- even on the rare occasions (then) when she was just sitting by my side. The trainer said it's because a lot of dogs find black dogs intimidating -- for some reason the onus was always on me to distract her, or get her to alter her position. It was a bit vexing.

3. Emily

Emily Registered Users

I'm sure I heard (how's that for a scientifically supported statement) that it was something to do with their features being harder to see. Other dogs can't see the subtle changes in their features/expression so are more wary.

Sounds like a good theory but I don't know if there's any truth in it.

4. Nibbler's Mum

Nibbler's Mum Registered Users

Sorry - late to this but been away - Nibbler is the same - he was attacked by another black lab on the beach when he was about 9months - I immediately made an appointment to get him neutered . Then I cancelled it after coming on here. He regularly gets snapped at by a couple of spaniels ( they are black too) that we meeton walks - the owners are bemused as there dogs don’t act like that to other dogs and they have started avoiding us now. I am worried that I have started avoiding other dogs because of these two spaniels and Nibbler isn’t learning how to interact with other dogs. We have started talking about getting him neutered - now he is 13months - but reluctant - he is very friendly and just wants to play with other dogs but if they start chasing each other Nibbler is bigger and faster and I worry other dogs might get hurt cos they are smaller even though it is them that start on Nibbler. I’m going to hold off til the summer holidays and decide then -I kind of feel why should I when he is so good but other dogs go for him. What if it i just because he is black though.

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Well....my dog doesn't like black dogs. :D He just doesn't. He had a run in with a black dog, and now he really doesn't like them!

I guess because there are just a lot of black dogs, chances are that a dog might have an unpleasant experience with a black dog.

6. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I don't seem to have a problem with dogs attacking my dog, where I walk, several places, all dogs are friendly, I would say mine is the least friendly of them all :D

charlie and selina27 like this.
  7. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Charlie was attacked yesterday whilst on lead minding his own business by a bloody Border Collie known to be nasty. It kept coming back going for Charlie's face, bless him he only barked once. It received two boots up the backside and a firm word with the owner, who didn't feel she should apologise. Las year it has also attacked Hattie who wouldn't hurt a fly :( She has one more strike then I will report her. x

8. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Poor Charlie , how horrible x I must be very lucky or something, because its very rare that we come across a bad tempered dog ,regardless of colour . I also used to occasionally get the comments from other owners about their dogs disliking black dogs , which I could never understand unless they had suffered some sort of trauma from one . For me, what was more irritating by far were the comments from humans about not liking or trusting black dogs x

9. capsmom

capsmom Registered Users

I have had the same problem with Huckabee. He is just 14 months old, a dog in his obedience class was very aggressive to him as well as a dog off lead while we were on a walk. I don't intend to have him neutered until he is 2 years (if then). I have always had dogs and have only had one of the males neutered. Huckabee is very friendly and only wants to play. I hope it problem does decrease when he gets older. I love this site and have learned a lot of information from it.

selina27 likes this.