Alabama Rot - update info

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Jojo83, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I don't have a hose and worry that if I 'gaggle' their feet in a bowl of water the bug might spread. If I wipe their feet with a wet cloth and rinse it per dog, it still might spread :(

2. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I use a watering can, I fill it up with hot water leave it in our boot room before I go on my walk and by the time I get home it's warm. You could try that :) x

Stacia and SwampDonkey like this.
  3. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

I invested in a portable shower spray sometime ago for use on muddy walks and on holidays. I fill it with hit water and it's nice and warm when I go to use it. Rather than use a cloth and worry about spreading infection why not use a couple of squares of kitchen towel which can be disposed of. More expensive but less cause to worry.

Stacia likes this.
  4. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I understand how you feel.
    We did all this infection control stuff for the "Swine flu" outbreak a few years back. Anyone with flu like symptoms needed seen at home and you needed PPE - a face mask with eye protection, gloves, disposable pinny, stethescope covers, disposable dot thermometers....
    I got so totally wound up about when to put my gloves on, then when take them off, before or after I touched a door handle, then was it ok to take my mask off with my hands or did I use the gloves, and which bit of my car did I touch, then what about my feet........my clothing.......would I infect my kids......
    Over-thinking is the enemy.

I would say a wash with warm water, possibly a mild detergent (doggy shampoo) then the washing of any towels etc in normal hot wash (or using disposable wipes/kitchen roll should be more than adequate a prevention.
    Really.
    I know there is so much unknown, but if it was so highly infectious, would it not have spread quicker and wider?
    I am pretty sure Julie (@Lochan) was happy with the wash down with portable shower spray technique.
    I know you will be checking them over religiously.
    x

Stacia likes this.
  5. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

I think this is a very good point. It is so easy to panic. I'd be inclined to rinse their feet in a bucket, then wipe them off with disposable wipes or kitchen roll.
    We have had two confirmed cases "near" us (not very near) and several unconfirmed scares or false alarms. I was very worried at first but then realised I was doing more harm by worrying than the rotten disease itself. We still go for all our walks, and if he is muddy I make sure to hose as much off his feet as I can. And I keep an eye out for lesions / sores. But I'm not going to let it change what we do or turn me (or Pongo!) into a nervous wreck.
    Nasty stuff that it is. Really hope they find out more about it soon.

Stacia and charlie like this.
  6. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Yes, for sure :(

7. charlie

charlie Registered Users

@Rosie is right, I am not and don't let it change my enjoyment on my usual and new walks with Hattie & Charlie, there have been cases not too far from us. I am always checking them both over during grooming and cuddles. xx

8. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I was thinking of buying one of those portable showers, then worried that I wash the 'bug' off and it lies around in the back yard? If I did it in the car parks when finishing walking it may spread the infection to other dogs and also not very easy to do with two dogs!

Thanks for the idea of using kitchen towel, will do that from now on, an excellent idea.

9. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Thanks also @drjs@5, appreciate your very helpful advice.

Thanks also to @charlie, some very usual advice.

charlie likes this.
  10. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

11. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

12. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Oh no thats awful

13. Hollysdad

Hollysdad Supporting Member Forum Supporter

That's quite close but its not a area we go to. All we can do is continue washing her legs and undercarriage after walks.

14. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

There was another case on the BBC this morning.