Allergy food question

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Labkim, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Labkim

Labkim Registered Users

Hunters blood results came back as allergic to sooo much! Mainly storage mites/dust mites/house mites etc and I have been having to freeze his food for a long time but I was wondering if it's worth trying him on a wet food only diet? Because it's the big bags of food that have the mites in due to dust and storage etc what do I think?
    Thanks

2. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Re: Allergy food question

I feed one of my Labs on Natures Menu Traditional which is Tripe, chicken, liver, lamb, vegetables and bran, it comes frozen in blocks of 300gms each. I find that one in the morning and one in the evening is sufficient for my 30kg Lab. It says it is a 'complementary' food but on contacting the makers they say they have to word it like that but it is in fact, sufficient as it is. You obviously defrost it first!.

www.naturesmenu.co.uk tel: 0800 0183770

It may solve your problem of the food having to be frozen and it much better than tinned food.

3. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I use something very similar to Stacia (but an Australian brand called Ian Billinghurt's BARF or something similar). It's very convenient (just got to remember to take it out of the fridge 24 hrs before).

Could be worth a go? :)

4. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

I don't have much experience with food allergies beyond the simple eg. Wheat/gluten or grains.

I would say give it a go, as what you are saying about mites makes sense... Can't hurt can it?

5. mandyb

mandyb Registered Users

If you don't want to go the raw way perhaps the vacuum packed trays would be an alternative. Bracken (also allergic to lots of things) has done very well in the past on Wainwrights trays (Pets at Home) but there is also Forthglade, Naturediet and a few others to choose from.
    I did try raw with Bracken but he turned his nose up and wouldn't eat it, in fact he will physically urge at the smell or taste of raw meat...I know, he's a very strange dog! LOL.

6. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Meant to say 'take it out of freezer and put in fridge', not 'take out of fridge' 24 hours before. :)

7. Labkim

Labkim Registered Users

Thanks for all the helpful replies, I think I will try the natures menu and see how he goes on that, sorry its taken me ages to reply, really helpful advice thank you all :)