am i doing something wrong ?

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by lynnelogan, Sep 5, 2013.

1. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

Re: am i doing something wrong ?

debs jasper as never refused to do any thing :), he as not got a sweet tooth, he don't like peanut butter, strawberry,s , banana, he is not food motivated , a little bit of sardine salmon does the trick. he must be a fishy guy :)
    tomorrow is our bus ride, ....i will pay to go to town but will ask the driver if we need to get off at the next stop will that be ok :)
    my little guy loves an adventure , why not he is my family and this is what we do, live life love life :)

2. debsie

debsie Registered Users

good old jasper! he is such a good boy...i think ive been like you, my two have just mucked in with my life and done lots of different experiences when they were still pups...good luck on bus and tell us how he goes i reckon he will get so much attention he'll be in his element lots of pats and affection ;)

3. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

i live in a real world, ....my lil jasper is a pleaser :)....he dont want to hunt, :-\

i never in my dreams did i expect him to turn out the way he is doing, i was traumatised with him, my mark would text me from work. how is he mum, my reply horrid :'( :'( :'(
    at one stage my mark said mum you cant cope with him, i sort of thought, may be i cant but no bugger else is getting there hands on him.....when we decided to get a puppy it was for life no matter what life threw at us, :)
    thank god i stuck with it, i am a very weak person, but had to be strong for my lil fella.....new adventures for the 2 of us every day :)

4. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Interesting discussion!! I have to laugh a little bit...I share a bit of your mystification, Lynne, with wondering if I'm doing something wrong, but not because of everyone else and their gundog/retrieving experiences.

It's because of my previous dogs, both Border Collies and BOTH fanatical about retrieving (well, fetch, to be precise). They also both loved the frisbee - I could spend hours throwing a frisbee for my Jet and he would never tire. It only took me a few tries to teach them the basics do fetch with either of them, and then...

....enter Simba. Ha!! Different breed (s), different interests, just DIFFERENT. He hasn't had much interest in retrieving - I mean, he chases after a ball, but he then wants you to chase HIM. But I have been working a bit with him in teaching the basics of fetch just because it's great exercise for him and it's fun to have a game to play with him.

All this to say, I have learned to not worry too much about what everyone else is doing with their dogs. I can only hope to get the basic obedience stuff down with Simba, and then, I hope to be able to teach him some games like fetch that we can do together. Or maybe some scent games - he s totally obsessed with sniffing, or so it seems to me!

Anyhow, as long as everyone is happy and their dogs too, that's what matters!!

Cheering you all on in ALL your doggy endeavours,

Lisa

5. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Helen, I honestly admire you for what you have achieved with Charlie. You don't give yourself anywhere near enough credit :) I only wish I had a quarter of the dedication and commitment you have shown in your training.

6. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Amen!!!! :D

7. Alice

Alice Registered Users

Like Lisa our previous dog was a collie who was obsessed with retrieving. Bess does like to retrieve but is also interested in lots of other things which suits us. She is a very energetic dog and does need to be kept occupied otherwise she gets into trouble! I don't really think it matters which activities we owners choose as long as our dogs are fit, happy and fit in with our other commitments.
    Alice