An epidemic of dog boredom sweeps the country?

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by pippa@labforumHQ, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

2. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Yep, Charlie looks pretty content. I guess I'm really lucky with Juno as she doesn't fuss for her walks and doesn't mind how far/long we're out for. As long as she has a few playtimes with us and curl up by my feet during the day she's happy.

3. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Half an hour ago , the rained stopped , so, coat on, wellies on , dogs on lead for a swift round village walk thought I . Humm , sods law , five minutes into the walk the heavens opened , but on we went regardless , until a dear car driver showered us all, bless ;)

JulieT, MaccieD and pippa@labforumHQ like this.
  4. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Aaarrgghhh! Kate!

We have a long stretch of puddle on our "road walk" - about 15-20 m - both sides of the single track road, verges a complete mud fest. I don't do wellies well for walking, just waterproof walking boots,
    I DREAD meeting a car at this bit - we lose every which way. I am lucky that most of the drivers first thing are local/neighbours and will be patient and wait until I have got well out the way, but not everyone has the common sense......

5. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Gosh Charlie, its a hard life........

kateincornwall and JulieT like this.
  6. PaulaG

PaulaG Registered Users

Erm? What is fair weather. We live in Scotland. We're born with wellies on our feet :D

Having the right footwear and clothes does help make it a bit easier on yourself. The only problem I'm finding having a chocolate boy is telling just how dirty he is.

MaccieD likes this.
  7. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

I thought that was a bonus :D

8. charlie

charlie Registered Users

We are ALL weather walkers here, got back earlier from our walk in 50 mph winds, pouring with rain, mud everywhere, we were out for an 1 1/2 hrs the dogs had a ball skidding to a stop in the mud and we still managed to do some stop whistle training. To end the walk they had a lovely dip in the river, they can't ask for more than that! ;):D

We all have waterproofs, wellies, hats etc. all clobber for all weathers so NOTHING stops us and never will :) x

Needless to say we didn't see a single dog walker in the woods :(

9. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I don't mind what the weather is - walking Poppy is one of the great joys of my life. There are only three exceptions - high wind (dangerous in the forest), high heat and humidity (fat chance right now), and rain, sleet and wind at just above freezing (which we have had A LOT of recently). However, today we had a beautiful, clear, sunny and windstill day - it really felt like spring. We were out for hours! Back to the sleet and wind next week though.

10. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Must admit, I cant think of a time I didn't take the dogs out , it may be atrocious weather but somehow , it lifts the spirits . I agree though, there are many fair weather dog walkers , their dogs must go stir crazy x

Karen likes this.
  11. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Maybe that's why their dogs are badly behaved. x

kateincornwall likes this.
  12. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I had two days (from memory) last winter when my dogs didn't get walked, because it was just too dangerous. When even the dogs are falling over walking up the road because it's so slippery (our road is a side road, so very little traffic - the snowplough clears it, but leaves it with a highly polished, icy surface which is a hundred times worse than the snow), when there are such high winds that you can't stand and it's blizzarding so much you can't see, even when you're wearing goggles and all the gear - those days are for curling up inside. It's just a case of spending that time you'd be walking doing brain games with them instead. :)

Karen and charlie like this.
  13. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

:eek:

We are pretty fit and active and I'm definately a walker ( although Chris is not :rolleyes: ) but a factor in me taking so long to agree to get a dog was that I knew I would have to have a complete love affair with early mornings and walking to make life work!I head out at 4.45 am 6 out of 7 mornings for 5-6 months of the year to make sure Dex gets enough excercise and I don't mind at all......I can't tell you how many dogs just 'disappear ' for those months. You probably won't believe me but I would love to have some wet,muddy walks too!!!

Karen and drjs@5 like this.
  14. niclibrarylady

niclibrarylady Registered Users

If I can't get out , we do brain training . I have a hoop, cones a bean shaped ball and some very large tennis balls , poppy and onyx love it. It's amazing what games you can play. We live in the middle of feilds, at the moment the foot paths have been churned up by horses. And the odd 4x4 It's horrid . :(

15. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Well...I pretty much go out every day 3x a day to take Simba for a walk, but there are days it is pretty hard to find the motivation. Once it gets below -10 and any kind of wind it just isn't fun, even though I have good winter gear I still get cold. And it is true, pretty much from first snowfall on I see very very few other dog walkers out and about, especially when it is dark. There were literally weeks in a row last winter when we did not encounter another person or dog...trudge, trudge, trudge...thankfully this winter the weather has been much more accommodating for walks and it hasn't been too bad. Although we still don't see many others out, that's for sure!

16. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

I have to have BMA regularly this involves basically making a hole in my lower back and taking a chip of bone to take a look at. Not a problem but the fact is that all the dog walking I do has remodelled my muscle structure that its hard for them to get through the muscle to do this. I regularly bend needles because of my bone denisty. My buttock bum and thigh muscle is hard and well developed and they have had to come in higher up and under the muscle to do it now. Once it took 3 nurses and a lot of swearing to get the sample. So funny... buns of steel. All the nurses and doctors say keep walking its doing so much good and keeping you bones strong. So keep walking if you can it very good for you its also good for the heart too. Its hard and sometimes boring but I still love it even if i now have a lower body and legs like a shetland pony.

My dad who in a wheelchair at one point in his life told what ever happens keep going, keep walking it helps with most things. Walking with the dogs has been my greatest pleasure and very useful for me emotionally.

Dexter and snowbunny like this.
  17. Boogie

Stop it now Emily!!

This relentless rain truly is relentless - three months now with (maybe) two dry days and two hours (ish) of sunshine all told.

When is the dry weather returning??

:rolleyes::rolleyes::oops::rolleyes::rolleyes:

18. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Just had to put the sprinkler on the lawns... Oops, sorry ;)

Hollysdad and drjs@5 like this.
  19. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

For UK members.

How long ago was it that the newspapers were going on about 40 year drought?

20. Boogie

Naaaaheeeerrrrrggghhhhgggggghhh!!

:mad::rolleyes:;)

Emily likes this.