And now for the Labratour…

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Emily_BabbelHund, Sep 9, 2017.

1. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Gorgeous place. Yay to a Keir visit! And Mags, too, obviously :D

Stanners is such a cutie.

So, you should be getting that when your yet-to-be-conceived pup is, what, about ten years old? ;)

2. blackandwhitedog

blackandwhitedog Registered Users

Yay, I'm rejoining the labratour just in time to be useful. I know this area well - in fact I was there last week! The coastline from Aberdeen to Inverness is all beautiful.

As a tourist area I'd probably prefer to stay near Inverness (option to visit Loch Ness and even Skye on a daytrip) and then drive to the breeder - the coastal drive from Inverness to Aberdeen is quite nice and shouldn't be too far if you're only going halfway (maybe near Elgin?)

Beach walks along the way - try Roseisle (forest, sand dunes and beach near Elgin) and Nairn beach (faded Victorian seaside town), also Findhorn (home to the famous newage Findhorn Community). Nairn and Elgin towns are both a bit faded but might be convenient for you.

Protip: if you need to work/use internet, don't book anywhere without asking about internet speed! and don't be reassured if they just say they have broadband - it's incredibly slow up there and outside a town it's often pretty much useless. You might have to rely mostly on phone 3G if you're in a rural spot.

3. blackandwhitedog

Actually, I didn't think there would be much tourist accommodation near Roseisle beach but there are quite a few air bnbs in and near Burghead (https://www.airbnb.co.uk/s/Roseisle--United-Kingdom/) That could be a good spot for beach, proximity to breeder and hopefully internet!

4. blackandwhitedog

and if you'd like to know anything about areas to stay/ visit in Aberdeenshire feel free to message me - I grew up around there. Finally, something I know about to contribute on the forum! :monkey::dancesheep:

Might have to go and have a wee lie down to recover.

5. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

You are SO hard on me! No, I'm actually pretty good at researching cameras, laptops and such mainly because of my professional artsy-fartsy buddy in Ireland. I ask him what I need, he gives me a choice of 2-3 items and I pick. Hasn't gone wrong yet. Too bad he's not also a Labrador breeder. :D

MF, drjs@5, selina27 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Emily_BabbelHund

Wow! Great info - thank you, thank you! :doug:

Ugh, yes... I'm very careful about this anyway, but thanks for re-iterating that rural Scotland may be "challenging" when it comes to internet. 3G does me no good as I've not yet sorted out how to turn my phone into a hotspot that I can then use for my laptop. I know it's possible, I just haven't worked it out.

Can do! Thank you again! :sun:

7. blackandwhitedog

Last comment on this, promise, but if you've seen the film Local Hero (and if not, that's something you should correct at the first opportunity :) ), Pennan beach in Aberdeenshire is one of the filming spots. That would take you off the main road but might be a good daytrip depending on where you're staying.

drjs@5 and Emily_BabbelHund like this.
  8. Emily_BabbelHund

I would love this but as you say, maybe not for this trip as the islands are likely too out of the way. Luckily I'll be back to Scotland, so I'll get there eventually!

snowbunny likes this.
  9. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Wise woman :nod:

selina27 and Emily_BabbelHund like this.
  10. Jazzmynn

Jazzmynn Registered Users

Oh my goodness...how very exciting!!!

SwampDonkey likes this.
  11. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

Thank you for coming to visit us, Emily! It was so lovely to meet you and bringing us and Stanners treats!

It was lovely to hear more about Duncan and Brogan!

And Emily has confirmed that Stanley is infact, not a mini lab! So he's normal :D yey!

MF, Karen, Granca and 9 others like this.
  12. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Emily is very good at this. She also confirmed that Pongo is not a giant Labrador x Shetland pony. He too is normal. :heart:
    Well, normal for Pongo.

MF, Granca, Naya and 7 others like this.
  13. Emily_BabbelHund

So very grateful to Mags (@Boogie ) and Keir for joining me on the Labratour this weekend. More photos to come, but here's a sneak peak (and also my favourite of the bunch) :

Screenshot 2017-11-12 14.19.35.png

Keir is simply a wonderful pup and let's just say if I shock you all by showing up with GR pup instead of the planned Labrador, the blame rests firmly on his soft and cuddly shoulders. He is gentle, calm, oh-so-smart and will one day be a credit to guide dogs everywhere. Right now he's a credit to guide dog PUPPIES everywhere (and the skills/love of doggie mama Mags). :)

MF, Sven, Karen and 10 others like this.
  14. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Thank you for a wonderful weekend. Keir was a good boy and had many new exciting experiences. Staying in a caravan, walks by the seashore, train and tram rides to name a few!

DC1D159B-7DE1-4F2C-9D8F-E3B9179F617E.jpeg

Lisa, MF, Plum's mum and 13 others like this.
  15. Emily_BabbelHund

Grrr... that was supposed to be a bracket, not a sad face!

16. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Fixed it :)

drjs@5 and Emily_BabbelHund like this.
  17. Emily_BabbelHund

It's official, I've got my last (maybe) breeder visit planned for northern Scotland on Wednesday. I'm doing the drive from here (near Lancaster) in one day and have found a converted schoolhouse near the beach for my stay.

It was hugely helpful to be able to talk with Mags the last couple days about all my breeder visit adventures as it really helped me to digest it all. I do feel like I'm just starting to get a real handle on it and wish I could start the whole thing over to get it right on the second pass! On the other hand, I've still got my name in the hat for Devon's/Luna's breeder and (knock on wood) am still quite happy with that. So despite all my dithering, significant progress has happened.

Tonight is very quiet and a bit lonely in ye olde caravan. Definitely missing Mags' company and Keir cuddles. Nothing better than a cuddly pup in front of a (incredibly fake) fire! :D

Thank you! :)

MF, Naya, JenBainbridge and 3 others like this.
  18. Emily_BabbelHund

Last night of caravan living and in front of my fake fireplace (which I'm absolutely fascinated by). I had an evening walk with the boarder dogs - a few Labs among them - as well as an evening visit from this gentleman:

Screenshot 2017-11-13 20.00.25.png

I just love these egg-head bullies and he had SO much personality. He gave me a serious cuddle (head in my lap, butt in the air) while his human changed the gas tank on my house so that I don't freeze tonight. Then he (the dog, not the human) left me with his own gas deposit in my living room and sauntered out with a very pleased (and gastrointestinally-relieved) look on his face. What a character!

I'll miss this place. Lots of dogs and sunrises like this:
    Screenshot 2017-11-13 20.00.50.png

It was definitely more fun with Mags and Keir, though. A few more pics of Keir, just because. :)

Screenshot 2017-11-13 20.02.17.png

Screenshot 2017-11-13 20.01.27.png

Screenshot 2017-11-13 20.05.14.png

MF, Granca, Plum's mum and 15 others like this.
  19. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Keir is seriously stealable! He has a very sincere face - love him :heart: x

Emily_BabbelHund likes this.
  20. Naya

Naya Registered Users

So glad you are feeling better about your breeder visits :)
    Good luck on Wednesday x

Emily_BabbelHund likes this.