And now for the Labratour…

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Emily_BabbelHund, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

What nice dogs! Very beautiful.

This tour has really taken off. I enjoyed reading “In Which I Got Stuck In A Scottish Sheep Bog”. And the doggie and puppy pics are outstanding too.

Remember, you’re still on that wait list.... :)

Emily_BabbelHund likes this.
  2. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

Timing mainly. She only breeds once a year and her current litter is all spoken for.

I get that! There were several adult dogs I would have kidnapped if given half the chance. :)

Granca and QuinnM15 like this.
  3. charlie

charlie Registered Users

:eek::eek: What a trip, my head is spinning and I haven't moved an inch!! My eldest Son's name is Sean :) I think it's time for reflection Emily. I am hopeless at making decisions if there is too much to think about, heck I don't even do the family food shopping :eek::D xx

snowbunny, Naya and Emily_BabbelHund like this.
  4. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Oh, yes, the choccy is the spit of Luna!

It's funny before I got my Labs, I would have said, other than obvious field vs show, that all black Labs look the same and all choccy Labs look the same. My only exception was yellows, and that was more because of the huge range of colours and shading you get. The more you get to know, the less true that is, their faces are so different. Except where they're the same :D

Beanwood and Emily_BabbelHund like this.
  5. Sven

Sven Registered Users

Beautful group of dogs. I will take the daft one, there is something in that face...OK will take the first and second one too...oh sod it take the whole lot.
    My car would be full and part way through traded for a campervan or a bus...

selina27 and Emily_BabbelHund like this.
  6. snowbunny

And have one of each colour, yeah! :D

7. Emily_BabbelHund

I do actually think he's got Luna's breeder's lines in there, or Luna's breeder has yesterday breeder's lines in there. I'm really starting to recognise that certain look - even just ran across one on Champdogs the other day that without even looking at the pedigree, I could tell there was a certain dog (Wilson's father) in the mix.

If nothing else, after this whole Labratour thing, they no longer "all look the same" to me. In fact, I'm at the point where I'm pretty amazed at how different breeders' dogs (or even different lines at the same breeder) actually can look. A few of the visits I've thought, "Wait...that dog is big and black, but are you SURE that's a Lab in there?"

I really liked the daft one. What I've found with the serious field breeders is that they like a serious dog. Makes sense! But personally for me, I miss that bit of "big and silly" and am attracted to the rare ones I come across. That's from my Rottweiler background - Rottie boys are nothing if not big, gallumpfing goofballs most of the time and I love that side of them. :)

I'm with you, Helen. To be honest, right now I'm questioning whether to even get a dog at all because of the difficulty of trying to make a decision. I know that sounds utterly ridiculous given the effort of my search, but there you are.

When I start feeling like that, the logical side of me knows that I've become way too overwhelmed, overtired, overanxious, over-everythinged... and I need to quiet down for a bit and think about things.

8. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

And maybe to speak to someone to help you filter and rationalise all that info?
    In your head it' all one big jumble but as soon as you speak it out loud or put pen to paper it should at least make more sense.

9. Oberon

When you get your dog you’ll wonder how you lived without that dog. So, get a dog.

moose.and.rubie and snowbunny like this.
  10. snowbunny

See? It's that easy! :D

Naya and Beanwood like this.
  11. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

<cough>. Do we need to have a stern chat?

Granca, drjs@5, Naya and 2 others like this.
  12. charlie

charlie Registered Users

You NEED a dog Emily :doug:I totally understand not being able to make a decision due to being overwhelmed. So take time, make up your mind not to make any more visits, make notes, all the pros/cons about the breeders/dogs you have visited, and once you have made a decision who to go with stick with it. I find then my head de-fuzzes, I then return to the real world! :rolleyes: x

13. Emily_BabbelHund

Yes please. Of course I may have <cough> ulterior motives <cough> Pongo. :D

14. Emily

Emily Registered Users

I'm lost. Are we down to the waiting list for Devon (Luna's breeder), the breeder expecting pups this week (that breeds assistance dogs) and Zaba's breeder (depending on the visit on Sunday)?

15. Oberon

Hehe, yes, we need a quick summary of the current state of play :)

SwampDonkey likes this.
  16. Emily_BabbelHund

That's a good summary, I'd say.

In any case, I'm headed back to Germany a week from now, so time to wrap this thousand-mile odyssey up and return to my staid life of bratwurst at the Christmas markets, studying German verbs and taking my friend's chihuahua for long walks on the Danube. All good Labratours must come to an end.

I had a really nice visit with Cara's breeder today. Nothing to do with dogs/puppies, we just really hit it off and enjoyed talking the first time, so thought we'd have another go at a chat. Cara's doing really well and the puppies are healthy.

I'm back in the Lake District, this time near Cockermouth at a really cute dog-friendly cottage. Because I've not had the heart to remove Brogan from my Airbnb bio, the hosts included treats for me and for Brogan on arrival. I really miss my boy, he would have loved it here.

Screenshot 2017-11-17 20.28.38.png

Granca, charlie, MF and 6 others like this.
  17. Oberon

How nice. I’m sure you’re missing him a lot.

I’m sure he’d have good advice to give about the selection of his successor too.

18. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

I do hope you can stop by on your way down, we can mull over your shortlist, while being mobbed by Casper, gazed at by Bramble and licked to death by Benson!! :inlove:

Granca, Emily_BabbelHund and selina27 like this.
  19. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

It must be so nice having so much help, its such a minefield anyway but having to travel to the UK to hunt it's a nightmare. Hope you find your pup:)

Emily_BabbelHund and selina27 like this.
  20. MF

MF Registered Users

The dog treats are so terribly moving. I would’ve been in tears.

I hope you find your puppy soon. It sounds like you have fantastic options. Perhaps your avoiding making a decision is because you don’t want to replace Brogan? Apologies if I’m making assumptions - I guess I’m projecting.

BTW I’ve loved your journey - your writing provides such pleasure!