And now for the Labratour…

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Emily_BabbelHund, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Wonderful photos :)

Emily_BabbelHund likes this.
  2. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

In addition to my visit with George/Crios (or "Georgios" copyright @snowbunny ), I was able to visit former foster dog Alf (aka Toby) the Bodeguero. You can read all about Alf here in his own thread and a LOT of you probably remember him. He was only with me for two months, but he is a little dude who packs a big punch and he made a big impression on me.

I'll be forever grateful to him for being the reason I wanted to get out to the beach and doing weekend sightseeing trips again. I'd not been able to even go to the beach in Spain since Brogan died over a year prior...I'd just cry every time I tried and I stopped trying. But Alf, who absolutely REQUIRED at least three hours a day exercise in order for his brain to even begin to function, didn't allow me any wiggle room. We went everywhere, including the beach, to keep his brain and body occupied.

He was a also a killer personal trainer, helping me lose over 12 kgs during his time with me. He even used to stand on my back when I was doing planks...I could almost imagine his Antonio Banderas voice in my head, "And uno, dos, tres...you can do it, si, si, mas, mas, cinco, seis...oh, I am the best human trainer everrrrrr!" :D

Alf was just one of thousands of Bodegueros who get dumped at Spanish killing stations, plus he has Leishmaniasis, which means most rescue groups won't even consider taking them. So he dodged the odds of surviving his first owner (he was left out on a finca in the countryside with no shelter), then surviving the shelter, then getting into a rescue group, then getting picked by a German adopter who canceled the adoption after learning of the Leish, then being in kennels as there were no fosters, then being in a foster home with some crazy American lady, then a 10 day trip in a van to "Eeeeengland" and then FINALLY with his forever home with @catrionas .

It was a long trip, little dude...and I'm so glad I got to see you happy with your real family! :heart:

Full album: https://flic.kr/s/aHsm8XDuft

Videos:

Here's Toby, Alf's big brother. That's why his new family had to change Toby's original name (and the one I still sort of think of him as) - they already had a Toby. Confused yet? This Toby was adopted from Romania and is now blind but you can't tell at all. He's a big love bug.
    P1060255.jpg

And then lots of pics of a just plain happy dog! :)

P1060260.jpg

P1060263.jpg

My favourite!
    P1060267.jpg

And yes, he's OFF LEASH...I would have never dared in Spain, but @catrionas has done great with him and lets him run free. So nice to see!
    P1060271.jpg

P1060288.jpg

The handsomest of Bodegueros! :inlove:

P1060296.jpg

MF, Granca, edzbird and 7 others like this.
  3. Emily_BabbelHund

Oh, and that purple harness he's wearing is that one I bought for him in Spain. When I dropped him off in Malaga for his transport to the UK, I was absolutely obsessed that it stay with him for some reason (funny, the things you latch on to in stressful situations) and it really touched me to see @catrionas still using it in Sussex.

In Spain with his purple harness :)

Screenshot 2017-12-07 17.15.05.png

MF, kateincornwall, Granca and 3 others like this.
  4. 20180815

20180815 Guest

Purple definitely suits him, very regal :)

5. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

6. Jazzmynn

Jazzmynn Registered Users

What a beautiful story and a beautiful pup!

7. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Toby, you are very handsome (but you already know that).

8. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Oh how nice to see Toby/Alf again! He looks very happy!

Your Germany pictures are gorgeous!!

9. Granca

Granca Registered Users

It’s lovely to see Toby (Alf) looking so happy and enjoying life with his family - and great that you were able to visit, Emily. Well done, @Emily_BabbelHund and @catrionas.

10. Emily_BabbelHund

A little Labratour follow up news. Remember lovely Cara? I heard from her human and he says she's finally gotten into the motherhood thing. Three of her gorgeous pups are still available and if there was a boy in the bunch, I'd be sorely tempted. Cara's human sent me some adorable pics - just look at them! :)

Screenshot 2017-12-11 09.44.32.png

Naya, MF, snowbunny and 11 others like this.
  11. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Ahh too cute! :inlove:

12. Emily_BabbelHund

Random - yet Labratour-related - question for those of you in the UK. How wise/unwise would it be to do a little hop over to the UK on my way to Spain? And yes, I know that geographically the UK is not strictly "on the way" to Spain. Although it actually is, if compared, to, for example, Norway. ;)

My concern is facing poor weather in my car in the UK, specifically ice and snow. As a Californian, I don't do ice and snow. As a roller skate, the Honda Jazz does not do ice and snow. The Tardis may be adorable, practical for squeezing into medieval lanes and the perfect single dog car, but it is NOT a 4x4.

Screenshot 2017-11-18 18.12.38.png

No plans yet for anything in January, but just thought I'd put the question out there to those of you who are regular UK drivers.

13. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Well the UK’s weekend snow just made the evening news here in Canberra so it must be pretty mega...

Wouldn’t be thinking of collecting anything furry, hmmmmm? ;)

14. Beanwood

It really depends on where you go. The main motorway arteries are fine, even in poor weather, most people would rarely if ever need a 4x4 here in the UK. The further North you go, I am not so sure :) If we have a bout of snowy weather then you might find some of the smaller routes a little tricky towards Scotland.

15. Beanwood

It's the worst around here for 7 years, but I wouldn't say that bad :)

16. Emily_BabbelHund

No, actually. :(

At the moment, no plans to collect anything furry. I'd just leave it and be all mysterious and everything, but didn't want to mislead. I guess I'm just determined to keep my "Longest on the forum without an actual dog" crown.

Yes, I do think northern Scotland wouldn't work. Good to get your opinion on the more traveled (larger) roads, though. My worry was more all the smaller roads, even in the south, that you have to navigate before getting to the motorways.

But as I said, just thinking about it for the moment. The whole puppy decision thing hasn't gotten any clearer since I returned to Germany, so not sure trying to re-visit or find new breeders is the solution either.

17. Beanwood

@Emily_BabbelHund if you were mainly staying south..meaning south of Birmingham I really wouldn't worry. Worthwhile looking at the met office forecasts they are pretty accurate, especially if heading further north :)

18. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

:rofl: I do love you :hug:

It’s fine round here - only enough snow to look pretty, not enough to impede traffic :)

19. 20180815

20180815 Guest

Fine here in Yorkshire. We got snow but it's all melted off the roads now. Very few people here have 4x4 cars, most people drive just your regular bog standard car.

20. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Nothing here eastern part of Scotland.
    Traffic can grind to a halt with next to no snow as folk are either too scared to go more than 10miles an hour or basically just don't know how to drive.
    OH did Leeds to Fife with mot a hint of snow yesterday.
    I wouldn't worry Emily