And then there were 3

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Kelsey&Axel, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Kelsey&Axel

Kelsey&Axel Registered Users

Yes little gizmo likes to taunt both dogs which results in them barking and such. Hopefully gizmo grows out of that soon!

Yes thank you, I keep thinking about @snowbunny and bringing Luna home. I don't remember quite how long it took for Willow to come around. I know shadow came around quicker. I hope I have a happy ending as well! Just hard to picture that yet.

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Ah, I read your post earlier and was just thinking, "give it time" :)

It took about three months all told; we brought Luna home at 8 weeks, left the UK at about 16 and a half weeks, and it was a couple more weeks in Andorra before I was completely comfortable with the situation (although, they were far more tolerant then). Shadow loved Luna sooner, but was actually the worst to her. Willow would be growly, but never actually went for her, which Shadow did a few times.

Willow is full of noise, but is a gentle girl. You should hear the two girls playing together (@Emily_BabbelHund has!) - it sounds like Willow is trying to rip poor Squidge's head off :D

It feels like you're always going to be on your guard, but it'll come, with time and (lots of) patience.

Kelsey&Axel and Emily_BabbelHund like this.
  3. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

It sounds like pretty good progress already, Kelsey, honestly! Just keep doing what you're doing, there's no reason why it won't come together in a month or two.

Kelsey&Axel likes this.
  4. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Just keep at it. It just takes time. You 'have come a long way already.

Kelsey&Axel likes this.
  5. Kelsey&Axel

I have been so exhausted I haven't really been online much!

Thanks for the replies. I guess there are some improvements for sure, I am just the most impatient person ever! :D

Yesterday I had a heart in my mouth moment. Gizmo was upstairs playing in his cat tree so I went downstairs to get Axel to go to daycare. I was being super speedy so they wouldn't cross paths. I open the gate and Axel knows he's going to daycare so he was roaring to get up the stairs. He stops dead in his tracks at the bottom of the stairs and my heart stops. His head lowers for a second then runs up the stairs as I'm almost near him. There is Gizmo sitting at the bottom of the stairs. Yayyyy Axel didn't eat him!!:D

Then this morning I was out on the deck with Axel and he spots Gizmo walking on the window ledge inside. This a few days ago would have triggered Axel to jump up at the window barking his head off. He was definitely interested but not in a 'get out of my house' kind of way.

But there is still growling from Axel when gizmo walks around while both inside. So we still have a long ways to go. I feel so guilty having to separate them so much and only being able to devote small amounts of time to them all.

I want to fast forward a couple months and be over this stageo_O

6. SwampDonkey

Careful management at this stage will get good results in the long run. You're doing a brilliant job so far

7. Kelsey&Axel

A bit of an update on my three little monkeys. Axel has been much better the last three days. It was like a switch, 11 days of non stop snarling and growling and lunging and barking turned into happy tail wags, and sniffing and chasing Gizmo around in play. He actually comes up to me when I have gizmo now and he sniffs him then says hi to me. Ahhh I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Odie liked Gizmo from day one so no real update there!

IMG_4640.JPG

IMG_4641.JPG

IMG_4642.JPG

IMG_4643.JPG

IMG_4644.JPG

MF, Granca, charlie and 6 others like this.
  8. SwampDonkey

That's so brillant! I've wanted to ask a few times but didn't dare ask. Axels such a good boy and gizmos going to be snuggled up with him in no time. Cats and dogs are great together. Great photos

Kelsey&Axel likes this.
  9. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

Good news @Kelsey&Axel , it's great when cats and dogs get along, my duo don't at the moment, they will in time I'm sure :)

Kelsey&Axel likes this.
  10. Kelsey&Axel

Axel trying bitey face, gizmo is unsure I think

MF, charlie, drjs@5 and 1 other person like this.
  11. Kelsey&Axel

Yes, it took two weeks to get to this point and there is still room for improvement but in time! Yours will get there I'm sure!

12. Kelsey&Axel

I really do hope they snuggle together one day soon!

13. SwampDonkey

When it gets cold cats like snuggling up to dogs don't worry.:)

Kelsey&Axel likes this.
  14. leejane

leejane Mum to the Mooster

Yes, we had a breakthrough this week, they're touching!! (sorry to hijack thread) 20170809_071210.jpg

MF, Cath, Granca and 8 others like this.
  15. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

Yes well we are 14 months on!! To be honest I haven't put much effort into it, but I will. Our cat, Maisie the Terrible is very feisty and was an only cat for 5 years, and when Cassie was small would launch herself at her quite unprovoked, but now of course Cass is full grown and thinks well come on then ! So, work to do :)

Kelsey&Axel likes this.
  16. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

Yay Kelsey! That was so much quicker than I expected, how fantastic! I wish all cats were as staunch as Gizmo. The bitey face vid is soooo funny, what a loon.

@selina27 yeah 14 months on and I really don't see 2 of my cats ever being around Xena - they're just too nervous. Daisy's fine, but she's staunch as and doesn't blink when Xena does mad zoomies around her (still, at 16 months she's still sooo excited around that cat). The other too are just too nervous and would never cope with mad Xena. It's disheartening to be faced with that. They're 11 years old so the thought that they'll never be confident enough to just stroll into the living room really saddens me.

Kelsey&Axel and selina27 like this.
  17. leejane

leejane Mum to the Mooster

@Xena Dog Princess i thought the same about our older cat Jess, couldn't imagine she'd ever get in with monty, but that's her in the photo above, age 17! She still doesn't actually like him, but, little steps.....

18. Kelsey&Axel

Cute!! This is what I'm hoping for

19. Kelsey&Axel

@Xena Dog Princess it was much quicker than I expected too! I took so many videos yesterday as proof haha

20. Kelsey&Axel

This just happened! They have been sleeping for a half hour so far.

IMG_4801.JPG

MF, Cath, Granca and 12 others like this.