And today, a scare with Willow!

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by snowbunny, May 13, 2018.

1. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Hope poor Willow is better today xx

2. Granca

Granca Registered Users

Poor Willow. I hope she’s back to normal today.

3. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Poor girl. I hope you manage to find out what is biting them x

4. Emily

Emily Registered Users

That's two really nasty reactions in such a short space of time. It's going to be tough to find out the cause though.

Glad she's on the mend x

5. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I do hope she is better today, and that you can get to the bottom of this. It must be really worrying for you...

6. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

It is worrying and, as @Kelsey&Axel said, it makes me nervous to go out for walks.

Not this spring, but quite a few people in the area have reported that it's happened to their dogs on occasion. No-one has offered any ideas as to what it might be, though.

Well, sort of. It's a very narrow winding path through a dense forest with thick scrub on either side. Willow and Shadow mooch in that scrub. They're never more than 10-20m from me when they're doing it, but I can't necessarily see them at all times just because of how thick it is. I always know where they are, though, and would have thought that something like a wasp sting would have made them squeal, which they certainly didn't. They definitely didn't disturb a wasp nest enough for them to swarm, as I would definitely have heard the buzzing (and probably got stung myself!), which I didn't. Luna very, very rarely wanders away from my side. Honestly, it's like we're attached with a bungee cord. Even when I send her to go play, she will tootle off about 10 feet and then come back to me. She's not really interested in smelling things and would much rather stay with me.

Not that she mentioned, but I didn't specifically ask. Your brain tends to go into a bit of a fug when the panic sets in! She did say that one of her own dogs has had this reaction before, but she doesn't know exactly what causes it.

Absolutely! Not to mention the epinephrine would also make them feel really rubbish. I'm absolutely going to stick with the antihistamines if it happens again, but I'm concerned that if it does happen again, it may become systemic. If I'm out on a hike when that happens and the airway starts constricting... well, it would be game over.
    Meds in general are a lot cheaper here than in the US. It's about €75 for two here, so that's not something to put me off when there's a potential risk to their lives, even if it's unlikely they'd ever be needed.

7. FayRose

FayRose Registered Users

Oooh, it looks awful, poor little dog. Very wise of you to go prepared when on walks. I hope you can get to the bottom of what's causing it.

It reminds me of the state of our springer many years ago after he stuck his inquisitive face in a wasps nest in the hedgerow before I realised what he was doing. We were chased home by several peevish wasps and he also got stung on his bottom as a result.

8. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Benedryl have a children's syrup (banana flavour) which contains cetirizine, I believe is the fastest working anti-histamine on the market. Might be worth consulting with your vet regarding dosages and carrying a small bottle.

Jeez though...what with giant hornets, processional caterpillars...might just take a flamethrower along to clear the path first...:eek:

Kelsey&Axel, snowbunny and MF like this.
  9. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

Yikes. Oban doesn't seem to have this problem but Jet always came up in bumps with the first black fly bites of the season. Yes, I keep Benadryl on hand too.

10. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

The antihistamine I have is cetirizine hydrochloride in tablet form. 1mg per kg, so 2.5 tablets each. I'm getting quite proficient at this!

Both Willow and Luna are targets for the black fly (the dreaded mosca negra!) and I know they're around because J was bitten a few times the other day. They normally attack their stomachs and I will see marks there, but I've been keeping an eye out and haven't seen any signs yet. I think I'll start spraying them with repellant before we go into the woods in any case. I use this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Doghealth-Dynamite-insect-repellent-250ml/dp/B003UYXE7E

Stacia likes this.
  11. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Poor loves xx:(

12. MF

MF Registered Users

Do you have an ingredient list for Dynamite? I can’t find one on the internet. I’ve just ordered Wondercide from the US, which uses cedar oil as the repellent.

13. Lin

Lin Registered Users

Finn went missing in a field of oil seed rape that was in flower. When he came back after 10 mins his eyes were swollen shut and his face very puffy. I have him Piriton and he was back to normal in half an hour. Whether it was the pollen or something else I never found out and he hasn't had it since, thanjfully!

14. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

IIRC Rapeseed Oil, or some part of the plant is toxic. I'm not sure how we get from Rape Seed Oil to Canola. Rapseed pollen is an allergen.

Lin likes this.
  15. cwb

cwb Registered Users

Did you ever find out what this was? Same thing happened to Luna the other day.