Animal or Canine behaviour/psychology online courses?

Discussion in 'Behavioural science and dog training philosophy' started by CiElBie, May 31, 2016.

1. CiElBie

CiElBie Registered Users

Any suggestions/knowledge of online courses for learning animal or canine behaviour/psychology?

I know this may not be the best place to ask, but if anyone does happen to know of any that may be good then it would be worth asking.

Price is not an issue thankfully.

I think perhaps a 1 year long course may be the best for me, but I could perhaps manage a 2 year course too, but possibly not.

http://theiscp.com/product/diploma-course/
    A course like this seems like a good option perhaps? I do not know.

I am from the UK if that happens to be important.

I don't know, its a while in the future for me so I am not currently making any decisions for my future, just seeing what the options are.

Thanks

2. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

I know the IMDT (Institute of Modern Dog Trainers) are starting online courses and Fenzi Dog Academy courses are online. They may be worth looking at. I'm not sure if they do behavioural stuff or just training though.

3. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

I've looked at the Sarah Whitehead Think Dog courses. Like you, something for the future but not sure what's good or not.
    As H has developed fears I'd like to understand more, in general as well as his fears.

4. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Courses through the IMDT and APDT, which links to Sarah Whitehead's website, would be my recommended route and their courses are all accredited by the Open College Network, so standards for the courses and the marking are maintained and monitored. I'm currently studying the Think Dog! Certificate and really enjoying it.

I've been keeping a training log of my experience of the course which may give you a little more insight on what to expect. Happy to answer and questions, if I can

http://thelabradorforum.com/threads/a-novice-dog-trainers-training-log.13267/

5. Cath

Cath Registered Users

How your course going Rosemary?

6. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Hi @Cath The course is going well. Really enjoying it, despite the amount of reading :) but then it's books that I wouldn't necessarily have read without the recommended reading list for the course. Certainly the course makes you think and makes you more aware, not just of your own dogs, but others that you say. I'm currently reading around dog aggression for my next assignment, so watching quite a lot of videos as well to help identify 'aggression' . I've even signed up for a practical 2 day course which gives hands on experience of working with dogs in a rescue centre, under the guidance of course tutors :)

charlie likes this.
  7. Cath

Cath Registered Users

So pleased for you. Glad you are enjoying it :D

MaccieD likes this.
  8. charlie

charlie Registered Users

It's great you are enjoying this course Rosemary :) The hands on working at the rescue centre will be brilliant, it will be tough though. I can't wait to hear all about that. x

MaccieD and Cath like this.
  9. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

@charlie I'm excited and scared looking forward to the practical, all at the same time - and I must not adopt a dog while I'm there :)

Cath likes this.
  10. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Think about Juno :)

MaccieD likes this.
  11. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

@Cath Keep thinking about her. Still can't workout whether another dog would be brilliant for her or not :( Guess if I can't work it out the answer has to be No to another dog. Perhaps I should borrow someone's cat friendly dog for a few days and see how she would be :)

Cath likes this.
  12. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

when you have more than one a whole new world of dog behaviour opens up, you see more and the dogs seem happy too with the right dog