animal resue...Is he a lab?

Discussion in 'Labrador Breeding & Genetics' started by jcrow, Mar 20, 2016.

1. jcrow

jcrow Registered Users

[​IMG] I took my daughter to the animal shelter to look for a dog. She fell in love with what the workers said was a chocolate lab. His head is dark brown and looks just like a lab but his body has a lot of yellow in it. If it is mixed does anyone have any idea what?

2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hi @jcrow . i'm afraid we can't see you picture as you can't directly upload to the site as an ordinary member.
    You need to pop your photos on a host site such as Imgur or Photobucket or Flickr, then copy the IMG code or BBC code to the post. There is advice to do this in the Technical & Help section of the forum.

Have you adopted the boy you describe, or are you just thinking to adopt?
    Its really difficult to tell from photos often what a dog is crossed with.
    The important thing is that the dog is right for you and you can offer love and care.

good luck
    jac

3. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Hi and welcome to the forum. Unfortunately I can't see the photo as photos have to be hosted on a site like Flickr or Imgur, through Facebook is also possible The only way to know what he is for certain is through his registration papers or DNA testing. Some pure breed dogs do have different colour showing in their coat or white patches. You may find his article helpful

http://www.thelabradorsite.com/is-my-dog-purebred/

4. jcrow

jcrow Registered Users

Yes. We did adopt him. He is the sweetest laid back dog and my 4 kids love him. Doesn't really matter to me if he's full blooded or not but I was just kinda worried that he might have a breed in him that was a little aggressive later down the road. Two of my kids are 7 (twins) and they can be a little rough.

Maybe these pictures will work. [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

5. jcrow

jcrow Registered Users

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

6. jcrow

jcrow Registered Users

7. jcrow

jcrow Registered Users

[​IMG]

MF, Cath and Naya like this.
  8. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

Do you know how old he is? Does he have a name?

I smiled when you described him as laid back, that's just what I thought from the photo.

Anyway,, hello from Molly and me near Oxford in the UK. Hope you all have many happy years together.

9. jcrow

jcrow Registered Users

His name is Winston. I'm not sure how old he is.

10. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Great name!
    well done getting a photo.
    is he needing a little feeding up?
    he is a great colour

11. jcrow

jcrow Registered Users

Yes. He is a little skinny. The only problem I have is not overfeeding him...he loves to eat!!!

12. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Very interesting colouring. Looks all Labrador to me. Some can have patches of fur that is pigmented differently. Makes him special!

I'd say that if he's laid back then he's laid back... I'd doubt that he'll change fundamentally at any point. You might see a gradual change as he settles in but I'd expect this to be in the form of becoming more relaxed and affectionate.

He's a lovely looking boy :)

13. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

His coat may change as it looks a little rough, sun exposure poor quality food and lack of grooming can make it look like this. He's probabley feeling a bit down after being in kennels too. Give him time a few moults and living with a someone like you his coat quality will probably change. He looks a lovely dog I would have taken him home in a minute too.

14. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Oh well done for giving him a safe home,he has a lovely noble look about him...I think you will see a big difference in his appearance when he has had a good few weeks of decent food and a good groom.Good luck with settling him in and getting to know each other x

15. Granca

Granca Registered Users

He looks lovely and very much a lab. I hope he enjoys life with your family for many years.

16. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

aww he's lovely. Lucky to have a nice new home and lots of love. You'll need to train your twins to play nicely with him and respect his space.

17. Cath

Cath Registered Users

What a lovely lad. I love his colour and I am sure with a bit of TLC he will be fine.

18. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

He's lovely and looks all Lab to me. A little salmon oil in each meal and daily grooming will soon give him a gorgeous glossy coat too :)

19. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Winston is beautiful , he will soon blossom under your care and good food :)

MaccieD likes this.
  20. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Hello and welcome to you, your family and Winston. He looks gorgeous - you have done a wonderful thing. Looking forward to hearing more about him!