Another hello

Discussion in 'Introductions & Saying Hello' started by joframe, Jun 25, 2011.

1. joframe

joframe Registered Users

Hi there
    I have a 10 month old yellow lab from working stock. He also has a facebook page - (Archie Laochin for other labs on facebook). I also have two hounds, Jack a hamiltonstovare and Logan a trailhound. Introduced to gundog training when I was trying to get better results from my hamilton and ended up buying a lab from the trainer! I also use the gundog forum but its nice to join a forum that is lab specific - look forward to discussions with you all
    I'll post pictures when I can work out how to do it(!)

2. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Re: Another hello

Hi there and welcome to the forum :)

Pippa

3. Sammie@labforumHQ

Sammie@labforumHQ Administrator Staff Member

Hi Jo, and welcome! That's an interesting mixture you have at home :). How do you find training your lab compares with the hounds? I have always been 'gundog breeds only', myself....

Sam.

4. caroleb

caroleb Registered Users

Hi Jo

welcome to the gang! Archie looks gorgeous - just sneaked a peak on his facebook page - some lovely shots there.

Carole

5. joframe

joframe Registered Users

Hi Pippa, Sam and Carole
    thanks for the warm welcomes. I have to confess that my photos have been taken by a professional, Greg Knight at www.ruralshots.com, who I would thoroughly recommend.
    Regarding choice of dogs - yes, I believe 'everything for a purpose' and 'our dogs are here to teach us things' so still trying to work that one out. The main difference between the lab and the hounds seems to be that you get used to looking for your hound on the horizon but you find your lab under your feet!
    As far as I can make out in Sweden the hamiltons are used for hunting but they are just used to find the prey, you have to do the rest yourself.....and they meet up with you at home!

looking forward to learning more on the forum :)

6. Sammie@labforumHQ

:)

Thanks for your reply. I know plenty of lab owners who would love to find their dog under their feet, and not on the horizon, hound style! Have you found the lab easier to keep close and recall in general, do you think?

Sam

7. joframe

joframe Registered Users

Hi Sam
    funny I was thinking about this response when I was out with them this morning - wondering if I was teaching the lab to be like a hound as he tears off across the field :-[! I have found the lab more responsive to me - but that might be as much about me having developed my learning (from starting the hard way) as the difference in the breed. I was suprised to see how much the lab still has his nose on the ground but imagine that's the working stock in him. I am trying this new approach with all three of them - 'Natural Dog training' which I have discovered and it is really paying dividends with all 3 of them in different ways. I have also started to be much more aware of my emotion gets in the way!

The short answer is yes ..! but I'm not sure I would like to be tested on it with someone who knows what they're doing! :)

8. Sammie@labforumHQ

LOL, Jo :)

9. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Just looked at this guy's website. What a photographer. I love the terrier's on his landing page. Perfect
    :)

Pippa