Antifleas medication

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by BellaTheFoxLab, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

We don't normally treat our dogs for fleas, and they never seem to get them. We do treat if we are going on a road trip to the family farm in Missouri, but otherwise no. I worry about ticks but again we don't seem to see them locally. When I grew up in Tennessee we picked ticks off the dogs all the time, but they were dog ticks, not deer ticks, and lyme disease was not even on the horizon.

We do give Heartguard once a month.

Stacia likes this.
  2. lucky_dog

lucky_dog Registered Users

I use Bravecto for my adult dog. I previously used a spot on treatment called Fletic which I bought from the vet - maybe it's a German brand. I've used three doses of Bravecto so far, once every 3 months, and haven't had any side effects.

I agree with others that it depends on the risks where you live. We have ticks here and my dog had fleas last summer, so I treat him regularly now.

If you have Lyme disease where you live, there is a vaccine for dogs - so you could ask your vet for some information about it, maybe it would have to wait until she's older.

3. MF

MF Registered Users

The burden of proof of safety lies with the manufacturer. I posted about this sometime ago in another thread and have pasted my post below. Later today I will post further links about adverse reports.

Here is the study that was done on Bravecto to prove it is safe to sell: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3975339/
    There are a number of factors that concern me:

1. The study was done on 32 Beagle pups, of which 24 dogs received Bravecto. This is a very small study in my opinion. And only on Beagles.

2. The researchers who conducted this study are employees of Merck, who sell the drug. This represents a conflict of interest in my opinion. When clinical signs (such as vomiting and diarrhoea) were observed, the response is "clinical signs were considered to be unrelated to fluralaner administration" -- one could argue this is their biased opinion.

3. The study dogs were euthanized at 168 days (24 weeks), which does not represent a long-term view of the effects of the drug.

A second study was conducted, but to compare Bravecto with Frontline, again conducted by Merck (known as MSD in this study) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3975895/
    Again, one could argue that a study conducted by the manufacturers of the drug represents conflict of interest.

Here is a list of studies conducted using Bravecto: http://www.fda.gov/downloads/animal...ldrugproducts/foiadrugsummaries/ucm399075.pdf
    1. This study concerns me, listed on page 35: A. Margin of Safety Study D009\11-001. In the conclusion, they state: "Potential treatment-related effects include diarrhea, mucoid and bloody feces, and vomiting."
    2. This study concerns me, listed on page 36: B. Reproductive Safety Study 671596. In the conclusion they state: "In adult dogs, potential treatment-related effects include seizures, diarrhea and salivation after dosing. In puppies, potential treatment–related effects include limb deformity, enlarged heart and spleen, and cleft palate."

One might argue that the other studies in the document (above) showed few adverse effects. However, the studies were sponsored by Intervet Inc, which is in fact Merck, the manufacturer of Bravecto. Again, a conflict of interest in my opinion.

Here is a facebook page called Does Bravecto Kill Dogs? https://www.facebook.com/groups/411371212394679/
    There are similar pages representing specific countries, eg The Netherlands. Many dog owners have reported adverse effects and death of their dogs after giving their dogs Bravecto. While one might argue that these provide only anecdotal evidence and that one can't prove these dogs were affected by Bravecto, there are enough reports to make me very wary of this drug. Many of the dog owners are filing reports to Merck, and in one case I read recently, the vet treating the pet dog reported the adverse effects to Merck. Snowie had two seizures after taking Bravecto and excessive itchiness for months so I won't be using it again. The drug has been on the market for just over two years. You will also find similar fb pages for Nexguard and Simparica, which are oral drugs in the same family as Bravecto.

I certainly do advocate that one should seek veterinary advice, particularly when seeking advice on treatment for local parasites. My vet is supportive of our not using any tick/flea preventive when there is no need for it (Snowie doesn't have fleas and there is no biliary in our area) and given that Snowie is prone to seizures (although he has not had any since those two after Bravecto a year ago).

Snowy likes this.
  4. lucky_dog

lucky_dog Registered Users

I agree that it's a difficult decision to make given a lot of owners have reported side effects. I had read about these before using Bravecto, and had seen the facebook group.

Studies into drug safety are done by the manufacturer. It's how they develop drugs, and ensure they are safe - so I don't think this method of testing is any different to any other medication we give our dogs. All medications can have side effects, and potentially serious ones, and they are approved as safe if the risk of is very low. Even in human medicine, there are serious side effects from medications, but if the risk is deemed low, i.e. side effects are only seen in a very small percentage of people, then they are approved.

I also read the anecdotal stories from pet owners, and some of their dogs died or had symptoms months after taking Bravecto, so it is very difficult to say that these were definitely caused by Bravecto without a controlled study.

As I haven't had any problems so far, I think I'll continue using it. I know one dog who had horrible side effects from a spot on treatment, who is now using Bravecto and is fine.

So yes, we should be aware of this, and as owners we just have to make these decisions as best as we can given the lack of reliable information available.

5. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I am undecided on the whole Bravecto issue. Use it on Lilly but cautious about recommending it to others.

Interesting for anyone who hasn't done so to look at the paper insert for paracetamol in particular with reference to side effects.
    Not trying to be inflammatory....just reflecting really on *new* medications v old medications.

Hence the importance of post marketing robust surveillance and reporting.
    There is a yellow card system for human development not sure for vet Meds.

6. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

And they have done this to the satisfaction of the appropriate licensing bodies.

I'm not saying Bravecto doesn't have potential side effects, and these may sometimes be catastrophic. This is true of many licensed drugs. However, all the stories are simply that - stories. There is no proof that these drugs are unsafe.

All I am asking is that you respect the rules of the forum, without making unsubstantiated statements such as the below.

I appreciate why you feel the way you do about these drugs, but I think we have to be very careful about crossing the line into zealotry.

It's very easy to search for information to support your own views - I just did a search for "Ibuprofen death" and had pages upon pages of stories returned about this devil drug.

Rosie and Emily like this.
  7. MF

MF Registered Users

I do agree with you, that one must be careful to provide evidence when making statements. And I do apologise for not adhering to the forum's rule and making the statement without substantiating my statement with evidence-based research.

At present, I do not know of any research that has been undertaken to prove that Bravecto is unsafe.

Here are some links that take the "stories" seriously, i.e. the post-marketing surveillance.

This link is from the European Medicines Agency (EMA). http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/document_library/Newsletter/2017/02/WC500222245.pdf

It says that "The bulletin summarises recommendations to amend the safety warnings... of...authorised products" based on the post-marketing surveillance. In other words, after the product has been found safe by the manufacturer, they must heed reports by users, i.e. dog owners who report adverse effects. They also state that there is underreporting of adverse effects.

This is what the EMA recommends for Bravecto:
    "The MAH was asked to provide a targeted PSUR that should include an extensive
    analysis and review of all serious reaction reports with neurological disorders, skin and appendages disorders, hypersensitivity/immune mediated reactions and hepatopathy, also with death and death by euthanasia. This targeted PSUR will be assessed by the CVMP and depending on the outcome additionally measures will be taken.
    In addition, during the last period of surveillance “lethargy” has been
    identified and the MAH was requested to update the SPC to include this term in the SPC."

This link is from the German Federal Office of Consumer Protection and Food Safety (I've included the link translated into English by Google:(
    https://translate.google.com/transl.../2017/2017_01_24_Fa_Bravecto.html&prev=search
    "In Germany, as well as in other EU member countries, reports of adverse drug reactions to Bravecto® have been reported since the introduction of the drugs, which partly report severe neurological symptoms such as tremors, ataxia, spasm attacks, epilepsy. This has already been published by the Federal Office for Consumer Protection and Food Safety ( BVL ) in the March issue of the German Veterinary Office in 2015 (3)." They have taken this seriously enough to investigate if there is a causal relationship and to advise vets that they should advise their patients to possible side effects.

You are right, it is easy to find information to support ones views, demonstrated by "echo chamber" being one of hot words of the year. But it is very difficult to dismiss the many, many reports by people who have observed adverse events in their dogs after taking Bravecto. Here is a letter from an Italian vet who lost her dog recently after she administered Bravecto. http://www.anmvioggi.it/rubriche/anmvi/64832-caso-bravecto-la-replica-della-veterinaria-curante.html. You can use Google Translate to read it in English.

This link is from Merck, the manufacturers of Bravecto. http://www.merck-animal-health.com/news/2016-7-21.aspx It is for the Bravecto spot-on, not the chewable. It is interesting to note that Merck specifies the following in this document: "Use with caution in dogs with a history of seizures. Seizures have been reported in dogs receiving fluralaner, even in dogs without a history of seizures." (The bold and italics are mine.) The active ingredient is the same in the spot-on as in the chewable, so it is interesting why this caution is provided with the spot-on but not with the chewable.

Each person needs to work with their vet to assess the individual benefit/risk ratio for their dog when administering drugs with potential side effects. For my dog, I'd rather go for the product that can be removed if adverse effects are noted. You can't undo eating a tablet.

Karen likes this.
  8. Johnny

Johnny Registered Users

So what do you use for prevention?

9. MF

MF Registered Users

Nothing. Snowie doesn't have fleas. If he picks up ticks in tick season (early spring), I simply remove them. We don't have tick-borne diseases in our area. When we've been to a biliary area, we've used a pesticide-free tick repellant spray. And picked off any ticks that weren't repelled.

10. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

Xena is almost 1 and has never had a flea treatment. I worm her every 3 months as recommended, but I decided to take the same flea approach that I do with my cats i.e. only treat if they get fleas rather than doing the preventative treatment. My cats haven't had a treatment now in almost 2 years, so I thought I'd see how Xena went...so far, nothing. We don't have nasty tick-borne diseases here which is why I can choose to be so relaxed about it. She also has a shampoo which contains neem oil (natural flea/tick repellent) which probably helps too (she gets bathed every 4-8 weeks).

11. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

This is definitely tricky. Where I live in Canada our winters are cold enough that the tick population is greatly decreased each year so although there are ticks around there are not as many as in other areas. I only give Simba anti-flea/tick treatments in the summer months. Previous to last year I used the spot treatments but find it messy. Last year I used Bravetco for the first time, he had two. I have another tablet ready to go which I will give him around the end of April. But I will admit to wondering a bit about it. I do know that every drug has potential side effects, however he had no problem with the first doses, and he will only need two this summer.

12. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I have to say that so far, the Scalibor collar is working very well for Poppy. No ticks at all so far, and - touch wood - no side effects thus far.

snowbunny likes this.
  13. chriss0129

chriss0129 Registered Users

I just recently gave my 8 month old female lab Simparica. Within a few hours, she would get dizzy and almost fall down after playing. She is eating just fine and is otherwise her normal self. Have others experienced this? If so, did it resolve? And how long did it take to resolve?

14. Jo Laurens

Jo Laurens Registered Users

Please take your dog to the vet and ask them to file a report about this as a reaction. Bravecto, Nexguard and Simparica can cause neurological side effects - this is stated on the information leaflet that comes with the product.

There has been increasing concern about these products - as MF mentions above - there is now an FDA warning out about this possible side effects: https://www.nbcnews.com/health/heal...-cause-nerve-reactions-pets-fda-warns-n911536

Please do contact your vet - and as your dog has shown a reaction to this type of product, it would really be best to avoid all oral fluralaner products for ticks/fleas in future (this class of drugs).

15. Boris

Boris Registered Users

I have used Bravecto for the last three years with my older dog Boris, with no problems. On Friday I thought that I might have problems. I now have a second dog who is now 10 months old. Friday was Bravecto day Jacob the younger dog ate his bravecto in his food. Boris left his, so popped it in his mouth and he spat it out, before I could do anything Jacob swallowed it. Monday morning and no I'll effects.