Anxious about new puppy!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Calbury, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Calbury

Calbury Registered Users

Thank you - I honestly feel I will sleep a lot better tonight! :)

Oberon, drjs@5 and MaccieD like this.
  2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

It looks ok...but a bit flimsy. The one Mags has pointed you too looks better.

I'd think about how you are going to manage your pup over a few months.

First, maybe he'll be in a pen in your room. But then what? Pen elsewhere? Crate? Baby gate across the kitchen?

I use a panel system, which I can use as a pen, a crate (the panels make a lid) or as a baby gate (I put hooks in the wall so I could lash the panels).

I think you can buy cheaper, but this is the system I use: http://dogpen-margothedog.deal-net.co.uk/other-pens/large-dog-pen.html

(You can buy the doors and panels separately, you don't have to buy this much - my adult dog could but doesn't jump over the 96cm panels).

I still use this 1m high pen, and my dog is 3 years old. He is still left in a crate with the door open and a pen when I go to work. This is because he is the kind of dog that will chew batteries, bleach bottles....whatever, if left to his own devices. :rolleyes::eek::D

Calbury likes this.
  3. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Just wanted to say hi and welcome from me and 2.5 year old fox red girl, Harley

I didn't get up in the night after the first two weeks as she then slept through from 12pm-7am. I think she is an anomaly in regards to pups!

Just remember to enjoy the puppy stage as they grow so quickly. It's really good to get the children to think about what words/hand signals they will use for basic commands such as sit, come, leave etc. It helps if everyone uses the same commands as to not confuse the pup.

Calbury likes this.
  4. Joy

Joy Registered Users

I've had 3 puppies and have never set an alarm for the middle of the night, I've had each in the bedroom with me, let them out if they woke me, and after only 3 or 4 nights each has slept through the night without any accidents. If you've coped with human babies you can handle a puppy ;) Good luck!

Calbury likes this.
  5. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

This is soooo true! Puppy problems last a couple of weeks, baby problems last ...... 3 years, 5 years, 18 years ..... !!

Calbury likes this.
  6. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Just wanted to say hello and welcome from me and Lilly!
    jac x

Calbury likes this.
  7. Calbury

Calbury Registered Users

Thank you for all this great advice and your very warm welcomes :)

Although he's not home with me yet, this is a (fuzzy) photo of Nugget I took at the breeder's

Looking forward to bringing him home :)

[​IMG]

drjs@5 and Joy like this.
  8. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Gorgeous :)

Calbury likes this.
  9. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

What a handsome boy

Calbury likes this.
  10. Granca

Granca Registered Users

He looks lovely!

Calbury likes this.
  11. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

What a sweetie :)

Calbury likes this.
  12. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Awwwwwwwwwh!

Calbury likes this.
  13. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Little cutie :)

Calbury likes this.
  14. Alison Verity

Alison Verity Registered Users

Hi, I have a fox red girl, Rubie, 15 weeks, your little puppy reminded me of her at the breeders, although she is darker in colour. Hope you get on alright, I'm sure you will. This forum is keeping me sane with my pup, and I am not a new puppy owner, my last Labrador lived to 14, but you forget so much and I am also 14 years older!

Calbury and MaccieD like this.
  15. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Nugget is beautiful! Welcome here, you will get lots of great advice (as you have seen)...keep us posted on how it all goes!

Calbury likes this.
  16. Hel21

Hel21 Registered Users

Hi. I’m new here. This is an old thread but it’s the one that rings true. I’m sitting at work totally freaking out about picking my 2, yes TWO labs up tomorrow! Me, my hub and my 22 year old son have done tons of research, got all the equipment and discussed how hard this is going to be. I’ve read lots of posts on the forum and realised the incredibly daunting task I’m about to take on. I feel like crying I’m so worried. The comments on this have have helped a little (especially that the bad bits don’t last long) but I can’t find anyone having 2 pups. Is this a help or a hindrance?