Any need for dog jacket in cold weather?

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Tarwheel, Dec 19, 2020.

1. Tarwheel

Tarwheel Registered Users

My wife seems to think our Lab needs a winter jacket to wear outside in cold weather. We live in NC, so it doesn’t get very cold here and it rarely snows. I take Dooley on long walks and hikes nearly every morning in temperatures ranging from 30s to the 60s, and she doesn’t seem cold to me. She gets friskier in cold temperatures but doesn’t shiver or want to stay inside. She’ll jump in the nearest creek or pond no matter the temperatures.

Should I just humor my wife and let her buy Dooley a fleece jacket for the cold, or would this just be a waste of money or actually make her colder?

2. Berna

Berna Registered Users

No, he will be fine if he is moving around. I bought mine a coat only in his later years to keep his arthritic joints warm, but since you have a pup, there is no issue.

3. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

He shouldn't need or want a coat in North Carolina, even in snow, as long as he is exercising. I have put coats on labs if they were wet, and going to sleep in the cold. Two of our labs have spent the night in snow caves or tents in snow. I do use a reflective jacket sometimes at night so I can see them better, but it is not big enough to give much warmth.