any pointers welcome

Discussion in 'Labrador Breeding & Genetics' started by lablove, May 30, 2019.

1. lablove

lablove Registered Users

I'm about to collect a rescue from a retired man that can't manage the situation. He has a pure breed lab that is 10 months old and if its calculated correctly is going to have puppies next week. The sire is the females paternal uncle. He got the male neutered but obviously not soon enough for the females first heat. So obviously I'm going to take her straight to the vet for vaccine and deworm. Has anyone had a bitch this young birth without complications? I have bedding organized and puppy food in for her. Any other supports I can get her? I know she may reject the pups due to maturity but I felt I'd no choice but to take her in and try look after her as best I can. I've had dogs deliver before just never a dog this young before.

2. Dallas

Dallas Registered Users

My Labrador/German Shorthair Pointer mix was around that age when she had her litter, and she did just fine. She was a little confused about what to do with the pups at first, but with a little help she ended up being a great mom.
    This was when I was a child, and my dad didn’t want to spend money on spaying the dog, and firmly believed that the fence around her kennel was enough to keep males out... until I came home from school and discovered the skinniest Labrador I had ever seen, in her kennel.
    We ended up keeping him, named him Buddy, and he and Abby were inseparable for the next 13 years. (They got spayed and neutered so we wouldn’t have any more “oopsies”)