Anyone out there with a multi lab household?

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by poppyholly, Dec 15, 2016.

1. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Tatze is amazing :inlove:

b&blabs likes this.
  2. b&blabs

b&blabs Registered Users

Wow, Tatze is so good!

Burke didn't want much to do with Bessie when she was teeny, and he growled at her if she got too close. She'd whine and "talk" at him, complaining about this unfair treatment - she just wanted snuggles!

Now they can be touching and he doesn't mind, but he's still a bit protective of his space at times.

He definitely told her off with growls and snaps when she bugged him too much. She bugged him a LOT! I don't have a crate for Burke and he was never crate-trained so I would put her in hers or in her pen if he needed some space.

She's 8 months old and they're best buddies now. Play together all the time, sleep next to each other, etc. Burke gets a bit possessive about bones but it's nothing serious.

So don't fear; it will work out!

3. poppyholly

poppyholly Registered Users

I just love that xxxxx

4. Ellen Mc

Ellen Mc Registered Users

OMG! That is so adorable! I love how Tatze tolerated Mollie and then, when enough was enough, went calmly and regally to her bed, where Mollie clearly was not welcome. You called Mollie in such a sweet voice at just the right moment. Well done! You just calmed my fears! We have an 8-year old chocolate female and we are rescuing an 8-week old black male, who is coming home in a couple weeks. I really hope this is how it goes! Any tips for the introduction to the household? Jane is not crate-trained (she was but we stupidly got rid of the big ugly thing), but Auggie will be. I don't have a ton of space to keep them separated, but Jane does have a chair and a window seat that the puppy won't be able to reach for a bit. I totally get the older dog needing an escape.

5. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I always have my friend look after Tatze for three or four days while the puppy 'finds her paws' and I get to know her. If I didn't do this the pups would have eyes only for Tatze. Then, when Tatze returns, I let them meet off lead, indoors, but keep a close eye as to how things are going.

I do indoor training together - Tatze showing the pup how. Outdoor training separately apart from one free run together each week.

Tatze has her safe places where the pup is not allowed near her, the pups soon learn :)