Are English labs really more mellow?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by DRush12, Jul 7, 2018.

1. DRush12

DRush12 Registered Users

My choc English lab puppy 14 weeks is hardly mellow..does anyone have any knowledge about this? I understand puppy’s in general are high strong but will she mellow out sooner than an American?

2. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Hi there, it's always difficult to say just how a puppy of any type will turn out - and some English/show type labs can be very lively, while some American/working type labs can be very placid. My yellow field bred Lab Tess is very laid back and easy going while my part show Lab is fairly crazy :) At 14 weeks your puppy is going to be very lively, no matter what her final temperament will be, that's partly her age.

Here are a couple of links that might interest you: The English Labrador and Biting and Teething In Puppies. Let us know how you get on with your little one!

3. christina2634

christina2634 Registered Users

We've had three labs now, one that I'd characterize as more American-bred and two who are more English-bred. I will say that all three have been fairly mellow, but the English two were easier pups. Diggy is 6 months right now and honestly barely does anything wrong other than pee. And even that isn't really his fault.

I've seen both American and English who are really well behaved and both that are terrors. You just never know what you're gonna get, but the good thing about labs is that they eventually all settle down and are such great dogs!

4. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

No, if you've selected your breeder with care, met both mum , dad and any other relatives available, read about the breed and what having a puppy really means you should have a pretty clear idea of what to expect