Are there any full time working puppy parents out there?

Discussion in 'Introductions & Saying Hello' started by hotfezz, Apr 28, 2019.

1. hotfezz

hotfezz Registered Users

Hey, me and my missus both work full time, and after planning it for months and dreaming about it for years, we've just picked up a tiny little lab at 12 weeks old. We're both also going through some serious puppy blues.

We have 6 weeks off to get him acclimated to his new house and routine, but we're plagued with doubts, and questions as to whether we've been selfish to bring him into our lives.

Have other people managed it? Are there other partners who work full time and have stilled raised happy pups?

How have you managed?

2. sarah@forumHQ

sarah@forumHQ Moderator

3. Edp

Edp Registered Users

I think there are many that do, but it needs careful planning. Juggling day care, dog walkers etc...to ensure your pup is not left isolated for long periods. Committing yourself to spending quality weekend and evening time with your pup also takes planning. Some dogs adapt, some don’t, some strategies work some don’t. It’s a bit trail and error. Enlist some support and see how you go :)

4. Plum's mum

Plum's mum Registered Users

I work full time but I’m lucky in that I can work about half my working week at home. However, in the early weeks of my pup’s life, being at home and working was a nightmare! I completely underestimated the attention she would demand and my work suffered for a few months.

She was crated whilst I was out and the time I left her was built up gradually. If I was going to be out for 4 hours plus she went to doggy daycare and from about 6 months a dogwalker took her out.

Nowadays she goes out with the dogwalker 3 times a week, occasionally 4 times. I arrange my hours as much as possible so that I’m popping in and out throughout the day.

I don’t have family nearby but I would rope family, neighbours or friends in if you can to let your pup out and spend some time with him.

Also, if you’re in UK you could look up borrowmydoggy.com or Pawshake or dogbuddy for local people who provide dogwalking/sitting, borrowmydoggy is free.

It’s doable as @Edp says but definitely takes thought and planning.

Good luck.