Are we at 'that age'?!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by zanacal, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Bonnie

Bonnie Registered Users

Re: Are we at 'that age'?!

I know exactly how you feel though. In those difficult first few months I thought, all this angst and not even a cuddle at the end of the day. :-[

Tess might change, maybe you'll be posting, are we at the "won't stop cuddling me" age next....!?! ;)

2. maisiesmomma

maisiesmomma Registered Users

My Maisie has been a cuddlebutt since I first got her. She would always bring her toy and sit in my lap to play with it. Now she's too big so she sits beside me on the couch while she naps, and occasionally tries to throw her head on the laptop to have it rest on my leg/hand.. I am heartless and don't allow it!

3. zanacal

zanacal Registered Users

I'm feeling a bit like we've done something wrong because I saw a post from the owner of one of her litter mates - lounging around the place, sitting beautifully with a gang of children ... Could this be the downside of crating, not having the ability to settle easily elsewhere? I taught my first child to sleep in a cot then he wouldn't nap anywhere else - similar thing?!

When does proper teething kick in?

4. JAYMZ

JAYMZ Registered Users

I can't think of any downside of crating, and a dog lounging around sitting quietly is certainly nothing to do with the crate! I would imagine it is more about timing. All looks peaceful and harmonious, but 5 mins before and 5 mins after, the pup was probably tearing round like a loon. Just like every other pup in the world.

Pups do get tired and will fall asleep. When yours does, take a pic and post it up. Then all the other owners will be having the exact same conversation you are having!

5. zanacal

zanacal Registered Users

Lol, she does do it - but not when she's in the room with us! Sometimes really late at night when she's been sleeping in her crate and we bring her in ...

6. JAYMZ

JAYMZ Registered Users

[quote author=zanacal link=topic=10600.msg158246#msg158246 date=1429692486]
    Lol, she does do it - but not when she's in the room with us! Sometimes really late at night when she's been sleeping in her crate and we bring her in ...
    [/quote]

Well Monty is 4.5 months he will only rarely sit nicely with us in the living room. He needs to be very tired.

7. zanacal

zanacal Registered Users

:)

I thought about it and she is actually calm and relaxed at other times, they just don't coincide with when we're sitting doing nothing - not her fault!

8. Bonnie

Bonnie Registered Users

I'm sure you haven't done anything wrong. I understand your worry though. I'm always questioning myself, my environment, my methods. I think every dog is an individual though and, in some ways, you have to take them on their own terms. Bonnie never settles in the day and she's continually whining for a walk or a play. I'm in the same room, trying to work (there's not really another room option unless I convert a bedroom) and it's hard because she won't settle. Come 8pm she's a snoozy pup who does nothing but sleep - I'm often too knackered to work after then!!

Maybe you're all too exciting for her and she associates you with fun, her crate with sleep. :) Have you tried training a "settle". I've been working on this and it has had a small, but noticeable, effect There's an article somewhere... Same principle as training any behaviour, mark and reward, associate the word, etc etc,.. Good luck! x

9. zanacal

zanacal Registered Users

I saw there was a video on klikopup for it, might check it out! We always do a 'do nothing' on our walks and she knows when I stand on her lead we're just staying still for a while but not sure whether I should use that in the house or not!

We start our puppy good manners class on Saturday

10. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

[quote author=zanacal link=topic=10600.msg158383#msg158383 date=1429723210]
    I saw there was a video on klikopup for it, might check it out! We always do a 'do nothing' on our walks and she knows when I stand on her lead we're just staying still for a while but not sure whether I should use that in the house or not!

We start our puppy good manners class on Saturday
    [/quote]

I would practice some "do nothing" at home too, if you already do this hopefully she'll catch on quickly. Enjoy your class :)

11. zanacal

zanacal Registered Users

Thank you! I don't know why I haven't tried do nothing at home yet. It would also be good for visiting people!

12. zanacal

zanacal Registered Users

I just wanted to report back that we've had a great couple of days ;D

I really like the Kikopup videos (I always thought it was Klikopup!) and have been putting several of them in to practice - clicking for not jumping up, teaching a settle and capturing calmness (this is my new mantra ;-)). I've changed the way I stroke her so that it's much slower and calmer and the family have been instructed not to stroke her on her head, which usually ends in her wanting to eat their hands. She's been in the living room with us for the past couple of evenings and has been hanging out with me in the kitchen more and more - if only the cat would stop tormenting her! I used the clicker a lot to begin with and then kind of dropped it but I'm using it a lot again and am getting much better results than without. Yesterday she learnt to 'leave it' in just one session :) Of course I took her out for a walk and one of the first people we spoke to 'hated' clickers!

Here's a photo yesterday of her lying calmly while my 2 year old stroked her.

[​IMG]

13. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Sounds like you're getting on wonderfully :)

[quote author=zanacal link=topic=10600.msg159108#msg159108 date=1429950772]
    Of course I took her out for a walk and one of the first people we spoke to 'hated' clickers!
    [/quote]

Ah yes, understandable. They are, indeed, the work of Beelzebub himself. :eek: ;D ;D ;D

14. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Yes entirely rational to hate a small plastic box with a bit of metal that goes "click" ::) ::) ::)

Brilliant work ;D

15. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Great news ;D ;D ;D

16. Bonnie

Bonnie Registered Users

[quote author=zanacal link=topic=10600.msg159108#msg159108 date=1429950772]
    I just wanted to report back that we've had a great couple of days ;D

She's been in the living room with us for the past couple of evenings and has been hanging out with me in the kitchen more and more - if only the cat would stop tormenting her!

Here's a photo yesterday of her lying calmly while my 2 year old stroked her.

[/quote]

Hurrah! So glad to hear it. And HOW cute ;D ;D ;D

17. charlie

charlie Registered Users

That's wonderful, what a lovely puppy xx :D