Are we getting there?

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by SteffiS, Aug 25, 2016.

1. SteffiS

SteffiS Registered Users

Over the last few days, with OH away, I have been concentrating my efforts on getting Ripple back on track. And finally we seem to be really getting somewhere with loose lead walking :clap:. He has mostly been able to keep his focus on me enough to start to make walks pleasant; we stopped using the harness as he didn't particularly like it and now on an ordinary collar and lead things are definitely improving. We even managed to sit and look at some sheep quietly.

I'm still having problems with his recall which used to be quite good so I'm going to go back to Total Recall and see where I need to concentrate my efforts again.

On the down side his disgusting eating habits have finally caught up with him and he has had a bad case of the squits, this has meant me getting up in the night to him. However it would seem this is also relationship building as he barks then waits quite nicely (as far as is possible when you're desperate) while I stumble around turning on lights and unlocking doors. He is now on a restricted diet and I have some Pro Kolin on the way.

Ripple does seem to be happiest when it's just me and him, I'm not sure how I can stop things from going to pot again when OH comes back but it's obviously something I have to work on.

MF likes this.
  2. Sammyboy

Sammyboy Registered Users

Sounds like you're back on track (sorry about the squits though) . My OH usually works away , but has been home the past 2 months ,it's def time for him to go again!

Same prob as you had ( I think) messing with Sams training grrrr ( not to mention kids lol)

3. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Good to hear that things are getting back on track :)

4. MF

MF Registered Users

Isn't it just?! Snowie has had health issues, and I am absolutely certain that our caring for him in his worst moments helped build trust and love, which go a long way to forming a strong bond -- so necessary for things like recall and focus on us.

So pleased things are improving. Annoying when that special someone else messes things up! When I came back from a work trip, Snowie was happily being fed at the dining room table. :rolleyes:

5. lorilou61

lorilou61 Registered Users

My OH worked away from home for about the first year Edsel was with us. We would spend time at home and then with him wherever he might be for a bit. Because I also work at home I was with Edsel pretty much 24/7. OH was a bit miffed at times and often expressed that he really wasn't "our" dog and like so many others here, seemed completely incapable of grasping and implementing the commands and tactics Edsel knew and responded to. It really seems that like human babes, as Edsel matured and became more teenager and young adult he became more engaged with OH and seems able to understand that some things are different depending on who he's with. It was extremely frustrating in the early months and I often wanted to bop him on the head! OH, not Edsel.

Beanwood and SteffiS like this.
  6. jessieboo

jessieboo Registered Users

I banned other half from walking Jessie for a couple of months whilst I got on top of the pulling! He is also not around much in the week and he wan't that fussed about being dragged out by a pulling dog at the weekend! He says she is a different dog to walk now, so work being mean about it!