Attention new puppy owners! Let your puppy off the lead.

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by pippa@labforumHQ, Apr 5, 2013.

1. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Re: Attention new puppy owners! Let your puppy off the lead.

Julie's advice is ideal. A large field/park/beach is ideal. Just steer well away from roads and you will be fine.

2. UncleBob

UncleBob Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Thank you ladies. :)

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=drjs@5 link=topic=1372.msg37375#msg37375 date=1385315381]
    (not that Julie is wanting to worry you or anything ;D )
    [/quote]

oops! Sorry...well, by 4 months he had a quite good puppy recall...that lasted until he turned into a teenager...

4. VAl

VAl Registered Users

Hello, first of all when are our puppies not puppies, for this puppy board? Chloe now just nine months old, walks really well on her lead, not let her go on the beach yet as large beach and if she went to the other end she would be lost, with just fields edging the beach, so waiting a bit longer, however, she does run a lot now on the lawn with balls etc, so gets plenty of running and two walks a day.
    Reason for this post is she does so well on her lead, used to want to cross the road to people, but stopped that, however, anybody passing us on the pavement with or without dog she instantly jumps up, or would do if I did not hang on to her and she is now well over 25kg. I make her sit when people approach and she does very obediently, but at the last moment lunges forward, so I hang on to her collar as she would knock them over.
    Cannot remember our other two labs at this age, but seem to think they also jumped up and grew out of it. However, I am now much older than I was then!!!
    Somebody told me the other day to try a collar on top half with choke chain underneath, ie a dual sort of collar, has anybody tried these, our pet shop tell me a halti would not stop her jumping up, I have not asked them if they have these collars. Just wondered what anyone thought of these, or have you a magic formula for stopping jumping up, I have a clicker, it does not work, as she is conveniently deaf!!! :(

Not sure where to post the next item, will try here!! Apart from her Kong she is chewing up her toys, our other two never did, she will happily chew the soft toys, and folk have bought her really tough rope for a pressie and she even gets through those. She has Chews, not the sloppy hide, but white ones, filled bones, which when eaten I fill with banana and freeze etc., but cannot feed her every evening to stop her chewing her toys.

She is getting much better every day, as they do, and the barking is now subsiding at mealtimes and when watching tv, if she really insists, she gets put in the kitchen, not for long, but when let out stops!!! We do not have a crate. She has stopped chewing the furniture etc, having said that she did not do much damage at all. A bit of wallpaper and a bit of the door. ;D ;D

Also does not get me up so early and I go downstairs about 8 45am which is really good for a pup. She does not ask, just waits patiently . Onwards and upwards!! ;D
    (hopefully!!)

Lovely to read all your comments on here, most helpful.

Cheers
    Val

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=VAl link=topic=1372.msg44289#msg44289 date=1388699914]
    Reason for this post is she does so well on her lead, used to want to cross the road to people, but stopped that, however, anybody passing us on the pavement with or without dog she instantly jumps up, or would do if I did not hang on to her and she is now well over 25kg. I make her sit when people approach and she does very obediently, but at the last moment lunges forward, so I hang on to her collar as she would knock them over.
    [/quote]

Much sympathy, I really struggled with this with my boy. First, I had him on a back fastening harness, so he couldn't hurt himself, and I would never, ever, let him get to anything he lunged at (people, dogs, dustbins ::) ). Then, I had hugely smelly treats - roast beef, sardines, fish skin. I would stick a handful right under his nose, and get his attention. At the same time, I was working on sit and proofing that against distractions, and worked on him sitting longer and longer with more and more distractions at closer and closer distances. It took quite a while, but we got there in the end. The steps we had to take were tiny though - sit while we see someone in the distance, over the other side of the road, same side but 10m away etc. etc. We couldn't go straight to dealing with someone walking by, very close. I don't think everyone thinks sitting is a good idea though, but it worked for us.

We're good now though, even when other dogs walk by the worse he'll do is stand still, keeping his lead loose, and look really, really hopeful, twisting his neck to watch the other dog until it's gone. I wish he wouldn't, and would keep walking, but it's not the biggest problem I have!

You say you have a clicker but she is deaf to it - this shouldn't be the case, it's a reward marker, and so she should be doing what you want when you click. Otherwise, you shouldn't be clicking.

Good luck with cracking it, it's frustrating, I know!

[quote author=VAl link=topic=1372.msg44289#msg44289 date=1388699914]
    Somebody told me the other day to try a collar on top half with choke chain underneath, ie a dual sort of collar, has anybody tried these, our pet shop tell me a halti would not stop her jumping up, I have not asked them if they have these collars. Just wondered what anyone thought of these, or have you a magic formula for stopping jumping up, I have a clicker, it does not work, as she is conveniently deaf!!! :(that she did not do much damage at all. A bit of wallpaper and a bit of the door. ;D ;D

[/quote]

I think you might mean a half choke collar? They can be fitted so they do not have the action of a full choke collar and act in the same way as a flat collar (in which case, though, you may as well use a flat collar). You can read about this here: http://www.apdt.co.uk/about/half-check-collars.

I don't like any kind of choke device, I think they are cruel - and that includes rope slip leads (I do not think it makes a difference what the choke device is made of) unless a dog is in a situation where it is reliable at walking at heel. I appreciate that not everyone thinks this!

6. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Just an aside! Slip leads are used when a dog is working as they do not wear collars in case the collar gets caught up in the undergrowth. Thus you slip the lead on and off ;D

7. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

The puppy board is for all puppies (so up to 12-18 months) The article about letting puppies off the lead is specifically about new puppies, so from 8-9 weeks old, and whilst they still have the ‘following reflex’ which keeps them safe off-lead.

Puppies over 4-5 month old start to lose this behaviour and become more adventurous. So for example, you can put most twelve week old pups down in the middle of a meadow or beach, and they will simply run around after you following you wherever you go. But within a month or two later, this same puppy will start to explore and be more distractible.

Check out today’s article on TDT When Clicker Training Does Not Work

It takes time to proof skills against distractions. And for a ‘dog friendly’ dog like Labrador, passing dogs are a huge distraction.
    Ideally you will need to set up fake training scenarios, to teach your dog not to lunge at other dogs, and you may find it helpful to join a club where you can use other dogs as stooges.

If you want to use force, you will need to take care not to damage your dog’s neck.
    I don’t recommend choke or half choke collars for the reasons in the article Julie posted. However, a body harness, can be helpful in getting control of your dog.
    Have a look at this article on jumping up

You were lucky with your other two. I have never owned a Labrador that did not destroy any soft toy or bedding provided up to the age of about two. And I have owned quite a lot of Labradors :)

It sounds as though you are doing really well and making good progress, including with the barking, and just need to get to grips with the jumping up. Do let us know how you get on, and if you find the articles helpful, or need more information

8. Indy

Indy Registered Users

Met up with a couple of owners just lately, their dogs have never been of the lead both over 12months old ::)
    When let off they went mental, with no recall trained it was interesting watch ;D

[/quote]
    I think you might mean a half choke collar? They can be fitted so they do not have the action of a full choke collar and act in the same way as a flat collar (in which case, though, you may as well use a flat collar). You can read about this here: http://www.apdt.co.uk/about/half-check-collars.

I don't like any kind of choke device, I think they are cruel - and that includes rope slip leads (I do not think it makes a difference what the choke device is made of) unless a dog is in a situation where it is reliable at walking at heel. I appreciate that not everyone thinks this!
    [/quote]

Choke and Half Choke colllars have their use, it is how they are used is the problem.
    They should not used to choke the dog, it is the noise of the chain rattle that checks the dog.

Rope Slip Leads are necessary in the shooting field, as a fixed collar on a working dog is dangerous as it can get hung up and dog can choke. :'(

9. UncleBob

UncleBob Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I completely forgot to add a further comment after we went ahead with this - apologies, very remiss of me.

We let Harvey off-lead at a local park with a woodland area. He absolutely loved it (and still does). He happily trots along with us and doesn't go far away (at the moment!). His recall, even with the distraction of other people and their dogs, has been excellent - far better than we could have hoped far at this early stage. It's a work-in-progress, of course, but I'm sure that the title of this thread has real merit and is a valuable part of the recall learning process.

That's not to say that we weren't still apprehensive that first time (neither me nor my wife having owned a dog before) but sometimes you just have to 'go for it'. ;)

10. gypsyrose

gypsyrose Registered Users

I would LOVE to let Brownie off the lead but it is against the law here. We hae leash laws. I live in the middle of the city. Though I will be working with her any time we are in New Hampshire. My parents have 12 acres of land.

PenyaBella likes this.
  11. osca

osca Registered Users

hi all,
    oscar is now seven months old and i would be absolutely terrified to let him off his lead, i just feel he would keep running and not come back. I would love to let him off as i have done with my previous dog (german shepherd), but he's just i hate to say it but out of control depsite having him attend puppy training classes. Any help would be appreciated.

12. ClareJ

ClareJ Registered Users

Lauren, if you have not already done so, get hold of a copy of Pippa's book, 'Total Recall'. That will take you through a step-by-step programme to build a recall with Osca. It's not a quick or magic cure, but it does work. Looking at your other posts, I think this might also help to explain why he has so much energy! Good luck on working together.

Several forum members have negotiated the use of fenced fields / paddocks from the landowners to help them train their dogs . Do you have an enclosed space near you that would let Osca get some free running whilst keeping him safe? If your garden / yard is fenced, you can begin your recall work there - you don't have to have more space - I just wondered if there was possibly such an option open to you.
    Clare

13. osca

osca Registered Users

thanks clare, i know hes your typical terrible puppy. I definetely will look into pippa's book im willing to try anything he's such so energetic and it just gets abit much sometimes but i feel with the right help we will get there. Yes we have a garden that is a good size that we could work on recall in, thank you for your help.

14. ClareJ

ClareJ Registered Users

That's excellent, Lauren. I know when I got my previous dog (he's ten now), I read a lot of puppy books at that time, and his recall is okay... but not brilliant. Having a five month old pup now - who has been trained by working through Pippa's recall training - well, there is no comparison! And so much of what she says about the way dogs think and learn makes so much sense and is applicable to all areas of your training.

You'll get there. Bet you both enjoy it too! However we've all had bad training days and disasters, and that is where I have found this forum so useful - there is always someone to sympathise or help you out!
    Clare

15. osca

osca Registered Users

Yes i've just bought Pippa's book now, i know the forum is brilliant for getting help raising your puppy. Thank you once again for your help

16. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Hi Lauren, we have a rescue Lab x Pointer - Charlie that we got at 9 months old and unbeknown to us had an 'absconding' history, not easy I can tell you :eek:. He is now 3 and we have worked endlessly to achieve a recall. We bought Total Recall to help and now Charlie has a basic recall but is still on a very long line and we train EVERY day to establish it. It's always best to let your new puppy off lead as they are keen to follow you everywhere you go so it's a great start, but Osca is 7 months so it may be a little more difficult, but if you work through the book carefully and thoroughly you can train a good recall to whistle.

We also had use of a neighbours paddock to do lots of off lead training with Charlie and to up the distractions too, this really helped. Can I ask why you have been terrified to let him off lead?

Good luck with your training :) x

17. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Hi Lauren,
    I'm all out of kilter with posts so I've not said hi to you anywhere else.....im angela with Dexter a 15 month old boy who we didn't take ownership of until he was 5 months due to immigration rules where we live in dubai.Total recall works..take your time,do it properly and your dog will return to you and you will enjoy your walks together so much more.good luck ,I'll look out for you elsewhere in the forum x

18. osca

osca Registered Users

Hi charlie, yes i bought the book yesterday and started reading it start away haha (yes we are that desprite) its absolutely brilliant completely makes sense. Yes from reading the book and being on the forum i feel we have left it very late to start letting him off his lead, we really should have started right away. We previously have a white german shepherd and she was absolutely awful off her lead she would run away, sometimes jump up and bite runner and people on bikes (howevre i will add she wasnt an aggressive dog she just had a thing aboout moving objects, we really should have trained her a lot better). So with oscar we are abit worried incase he runs off and doesn't come back.
    However my dad has just found out from one of his collegues who has two labs about a dog park to let them off and practice recall in so i think that will help with his training.
    HI angela, :) me again i'll be hopiing up everywhere all you'll be seeing is oscar and an endless list of his problems - the poor pups getting a bad name ;D. Couldn't agree more started it last night it's going to create wonders after starting it last night i feel so much calmer in my approaching of oscar when he is misbehaving.
    Thank you both for you help :)

19. Rosamund

Rosamund Registered Users

Hi. As they say-location location location. If you find the right place that you know is safe and enclosed etc you really can't go wrong. It's heart-breaking to meet people with labs who have gone TEN YEARS or more without being let off. This has happened several times recently and it makes me want to cry. I've been banging on about Total Recall to everyone I meet. I'm even considering buying a load of copies and hanging them on trees round the park or hiding them in poo bins with a big sticker saying READ ME. (Ok not really) The thing is it really does work and your and your dog's life will be soooo much more fun if you're sure of him. Don't be scared! Go for it!

20. LoveKatie

LoveKatie Registered Users

I must admit I was nervous to let Katie off the lead at first. Our obedience school teacher recommended doing it sooner rather than later, but I was scared. However, we have a lot of forestry commission land nearby with tons of trails, lakes, and even a dog agility course. The first time I took her off the lead she was about 3 months old and she stuck right by me. Since then I let her off the lead every day. Now, I realize that we are very very fortunate to have the perfect places for off-lead dog walking, so I cannot say what I would do if we did not have that. Since she has been off the lead for so long, she is great about staying with me even when we meet other dogs and it's time to move on. I always give her treats when I recall her, which I am sure helps. We play a lot of fetch on our walks, which definitely makes her focus on me more than anything else. When we run into other dogs while playing fetch she is still really focussed on the ball.