Back at the school gates sigh!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Petrina, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Elaineh

Elaineh Registered Users

Re: Back at the school gates sigh!

Re started class and because Nelson was barking in excitement she told me he needs neutering! The class was held outside on the green that he runs around with other dogs who had joined the class so he wanted to play with them rather than listen to her. At the end a particularly aggressive dog bit another dogs face. (Not labby) Awful screaming sound. We are going again but if that dog is there we won't be going again.

2. Looby Lou

Looby Lou Registered Users

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=7643.msg106871#msg106871 date=1409833932]
    I go absolutely overboard - people on the clicker course said "from your description we thought he was going to be a total terrorist! He's not that bad!"

The trick is to scare them in advance. Then when they see he's just an out of control hooligan, they are quite relieved.
    [/quote]

Hilarious! We sent our last two to a dog boarder for a few days when they were 10 & 12, Max who was 10 was an overgrown pup, i sent a list of the things he would do; steal any food he could reach, kill any stuffed toy or cushion, steal tea from any cup he could reach, and that she would need to 'buy' anything that he stole back from him fir a piece of ham (pack provided). I finished with, he is not as bad as this makes him sound and i'm sure you will love his character as much as we do....lol And she did. We lost him to cancer a year later and id give anything to have him steal my tea again xx

3. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

to be honest i am sure labs are the hardest pups to train, i have met people out and about with pups different breed they were the perfect pups whilst mine was neurotic :) it has turned around now they are growing into adult dogs ;D ;D ;D ;D

4. Suthuncat

Suthuncat Registered Users

oh, my dear! let me tell you.... if it makes you feel better. haha

i found out about a local puppy class at a pet supply store.... quite reasonable price. signed up my sweet orion, and we showed up on day one all happy and eager... he did all right. went back the next week for day two to find our usual trainer was OUT and a NEW woman was IN... and orion was petrified of her and every time she spoke, he would BARK and BARK and tried to ESCAPE the class.

the little bugger wouldn't even sit/stay/paw like we do at home..... it was horrible. horrible!!!

so.... never fear. we're all in the same boat. ;D

5. Suthuncat

Suthuncat Registered Users

[quote author=Elaineh link=topic=7643.msg107333#msg107333 date=1409944485]
    Re started class and because Nelson was barking in excitement she told me he needs neutering!
    [/quote]

she told me the same for mine! and i tried to tell her that he was FRIGHTENED of her (it was clear) and agitated and only barked WHEN SHE SPOKE... (she wasn't very nice, hence we did not go back, alas).

so frustrating!

6. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

I think one of the reasons that it can appear Labrador puppies are harder to train is that they are big dogs.

What looks cute on a little ball of fluff (resting cute little paws on your knees) looks very different when you have a great big Labrador doing the same thing but knocking you flying.

7. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

[quote author=Looby Lou link=topic=7643.msg107337#msg107337 date=1409945410]
    id give anything to have him steal my tea again xx
    [/quote]

Giving my boy a big love reading that :'( oh they can drive you mad but they just creep into your heart x