Backwards in toilet training

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by JenBainbridge, Feb 1, 2017.

1. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

It seems we've made a major step back with Stanleys toilet training.

He's been fully reliable in the house for approx 5 months now and today he's gone twice in the house.

The strangest part is that he went in his bed, in his crate. But he wasn't shut in his crate, so I would've assumed he would've preferred to go on the floor.

Then tonight when I let him out for his bed time toilet he wouldn't go. I then realised for some strange reason he didn't want to stand on the grass. I tried carrying him on but he really wriggled as though he was scared. Eventually I tempted him on with some sausage and he had a wee but it just seems very odd.

Anyone got any ideas?

2. Jyssica

Jyssica Registered Users

Did he go both times in his crate?

A few weeks back Rolo done something similar but it was upstairs, somewhere he doesnt go all the time and i read that they dont understand the upstairs as part of their "home" for a good while so he poooed (on the spare bed) and weed on my bedroom floor the little sod. Luckily no accidents since sometimes i wonder if its a one off...

3. JenBainbridge

The second time it was just on the kitchen floor.

Hopefully he's just had an off day. I don't think he's got a UTI or anything because he doesn't seem to be going more frequently.

There odd creatures aren't they!

4. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

How peculiar. Was it raining? Is there something on his paws? Did he get a fright outside? Hopefully somebody chimes in when England and North America wake up..

5. JenBainbridge

I let him out this morning and it was still as though he didn't want to go on the grass. He was fine on Tuesday night so there must've been something since then.

This morning he went to the end of the decking and looked over and thought nope.. trotted to the side onto the patio then up the flower bed at the side of the grass and did his business on there then trotted back and straight in the house. It was like watching a child play don't step on the carpet because it's lava.

I've told OH to take him out in the garden today and play fetch/tuggy with him and hide some treats around. Hopefully he'll start making positive associations with the garden again.

6. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I've had this happen with three of my pups!

They suddenly run to their bed and wee!

I put it down to excitement - they soon grow out of it.

:)

JenBainbridge likes this.
  7. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

Could some of frightened him? I had a similar thing with Cassie at around 5 months, not involving her bed. Refusing to advance onto the grass and pooed just outside the door on the step. I racked my brains for what it could be -- it was a good 2-3 weeks before pieced together what it was