Bad news / Re-homed 9 month old Poppy

Discussion in 'Introductions & Saying Hello' started by Chris_Poppy, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Chris_Poppy

Chris_Poppy Registered Users

Hello everyone,

My names Chris and the son of member "poppyholly".

Unfortunately my mum died suddenly at only 55 years old. I've recently moved out have decided to take on Poppy as she is only 9 months old and my Dad and Brother will look after Holly. The two dogs will still see each other each week.

My mum taught me a lot regarding Poppys behavior and for 9 months old my mum has done an amazing job with her!

Are there any tips or certain things I need to be doing to have Poppy settle in her new home with least disruption to both I and her?

I've kept her in her crate, sleeping with it covered up and a few toys and an old sock of mine for some comfort smell? Breakfast at 7am and dinner at 6pm. Keeping her on all the same food and have been practicing her recall and common "buzzwords" my mum was using to train her.

I do work full time however thinking about coming home for my dinner to check on her, I have a couple of weeks off work to bring myself together as the sudden loss of my mum is very upsetting :( .

I think from Monday i'll walk her in the morning, pop her in her cage and leave the house for 1-2 hours then come back? Next day a bit longer etc.? I have a camera in the room so I can watch her if necessary.

Any advice welcome and thank you to this forum for the help and support you offered my mum whilst she was on here.

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I'm so terribly sorry to hear about your Mum. What an incredible shock that must have been, and must still be.

I hope that having Poppy with you reminds you of happy days with your Mum, at least in time....

What I would do over the next couple of weeks is continue getting her used to periods of time alone, but build up very, very slowly. She is probably used to constant company (human or canine). Start with a few minutes alone only, rather than an hour. Just see how she is and go from there.

It's great that you can pop home during the day but I think you will need to have an alternative to leaving her in the crate. Being in a crate all day, even with breaks, will start to cause problems for her physical development (it's just not healthy not to be able to move around properly) and mental state. A larger pen would be much better, or a room she can be left in safely. What did your Mum do with her when the dogs were left? Would it be possible for Poppy to go round to your Dad's when you're at work? Have a think about whether you can pay for a dog walker to take her out during the day. Or look for good daycare options in your area. Or a combo of the above.

The other things you're doing sound great - keeping her food the same and continuing with her training.

Chris_Poppy likes this.
  3. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Oh, Chris, I am so sorry for your tragic loss. You must be absolutely devastated. 55 is no age at all :(

You're doing the right thing keeping some familiarity for Poppy. She must be feeling a bit out of sort, as I'm sure that everything was a bit chaotic for a while. Dogs are very resilient, though, and she'll settle down probably sooner than you. I hope she will provide a great comfort to you.

Rachael has given you solid advice above. It might also be worth looking through these two articles, which address things you can do when you're bringing up a puppy, and an adult dog, when you work full time.

Please do keep popping in for advice and support, and to let us know how Poppy is getting on.

http://www.thelabradorsite.com/combining-a-labrador-puppy-with-full-time-work/

http://www.thelabradorsite.com/should-you-get-a-labrador-if-you-work-full-time/

Chris_Poppy likes this.
  4. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

I am so very sorry Chris to read this. I think you are very brave to take on Poppy and wish you the very best carrying on the wonderful work your mum has done.

Chris_Poppy likes this.
  5. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hi Chris.
    I am so very sorry to hear this. You must all be quite shocked right now and coming to terms with your sudden and very very sad loss.
    I agree that keeping routine as best as possible like your Mum did would be best but clearly not possible if she was home with them both. Slowly increasing time is the best approach and getting help for company during the day pretty much would be my advice too.
    I really just wanted to say how sorry I was for you you all. Dogs are MUCH more resilient than us humans though x

Chris_Poppy likes this.
  6. Naya

Naya Registered Users

So sorry to hear about your mum. It will probably take you longer than Poppy to settle back down. Sounds like you have a good understanding of how your mum was teaching Poppy, and keeping this going would be fantastic.

Chris_Poppy likes this.
  7. FayRose

FayRose Registered Users

I am so sorry to read this, that is a huge shock and tragedy for your family.
    You're doing a great thing taking Poppy on and you will get a lot of help and support here to help you continue your mum's excellent caring work.

Chris_Poppy likes this.
  8. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Just so sorry to read of your very sad news. My deepest condolences.

What a lovely thing to take on Poppy. I am sure that would've made your mum very happy.

I hope its the start of a great friendship between you both. Sincerely hope to see more of you on the forum! :)

Chris_Poppy likes this.
  9. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Oh Chris that is terrible... My deepest condolences. You are so kind keeping Poppy, I am sure you will build a special bond with her over time. I hope you stay on the forum for support and help.

Chris_Poppy likes this.
  10. Chris_Poppy

Blimey, thanks for the kind words everyone. Yeah it's a huge shock, head and emotions are all over however I'm tying my best not to let it effect my training with Poppy, trying to be patient and hopefully she'll settle in soon. Poppy so far is an absolute credit to my mums time and hard work so rehoming her elsewhere is an absolute last resort.

My mum didn't work so Poppy is used to having someone around a lot of the time.

Fair enough comments about the cage each day though, confirms my initial concern about doing it that way...
    I have just come in from an hour walk and one thing I have observed is Poppy will *touch wood* most of the time sleep for a bit once she gets home and it tends to be about lunch time she gets more active. Gives me a little more confidence I can leave her out of her cage until I get home which can only be a good thing! I thought about sneaking in a kong with peanut butter in frozen and putting it somewhere for when she wakes up to keep her occupied for a bit? Right now she has just plonked herself on the sofa and is fast asleep!

Fiona I will read those webpages and Rachael a dog walker is probably on the cards if i'm honest.

Thanks everyone, the forum seems a lovely and helpful place so will stay around, thanks all for the reassurance too, really do want to do whats best for her.

MF, drjs@5, Granca and 5 others like this.
  11. Cath

Cath Registered Users

So very sorry Chris for your sad loss, but I am sure your Mother would of been proud of you, for taking Poppy on for her.

Chris_Poppy likes this.
  12. Chris_Poppy

Oh and I have also registered her at my local vets and weighed her, just to make sure i dont give her too much food

Granca and Naya like this.
  13. 20180815

20180815 Guest

So sorry to hear of your loss :( It sounds like you're doing so well by Poppy and your mum would be so happy to see you both together like this.

Chris_Poppy likes this.
  14. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Hi Chris , so very sorry for your sad loss , bless you for helping with Poppy , it will help both of you x

Chris_Poppy likes this.
  15. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

You're doing a wonderful job.

Chris_Poppy likes this.
  16. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I am deeply sorry to read of the untimely death of your Mother. We did have another member Lynne, who suddenly died at roughly the same age as your Mum and I think her son took her dog on. You must be in a state of shock but find some comfort in that you are carrying on the love of your Mother's puppy and doing your best for Poppy.

Re the peanut butter in a kong, there is something in some peanut butters which his poisonous to dogs, cannot remember the correct name but something like 'lysotol' not the correct word!

Edit - found the right name XYLITOL

Chris_Poppy likes this.
  17. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

I'm so sorry to hear about your mum, it must be so hard for you both.

I hope you find comfort in each other and please do stick around and let us know how you get on :) x

Chris_Poppy likes this.
  18. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Hi Chris, I am deeply sorry you lost your precious Mum but I bet she would have been hugely proud of you for looking after Poppy so well. Your Mum will always be with you. I look forward to hearing all about your friendship with Poppy so please stay with us for any help or rant! My very heartfelt wishes to you and Poppy. xxx

Chris_Poppy likes this.
  19. Chris_Poppy

Thanks everyone

Yeah I found that out before giving her some, they do a 'peamutt' butter for dogs which is ok and she loves it :)

Stacia likes this.
  20. Plum's mum

Plum's mum Registered Users

I just wanted to add my condolences Chris, I'm not far off your mum's age, it must be devastating.
    I really hope Poppy can be a comfort to you (and you her) and a lovely companion.
    Loads of good advice given already. A dog walker is a great idea and/or doggy daycare.

Good luck with it all.

Chris_Poppy likes this.